SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

UK Sky EPG via dvb-s

Is it possible somehow.....

to have a dvb-s card in your pc and extract the epg data directly from sky, and then create an xmltv file to import into sage?

I have 2 sky stb's and if there is a way, I could carry on using them the same way that I do, just provide the epg from a different source. I have a spare connection on the LMB. I don't want to go the whole hog and replace my sky boxes, I was just wondering if there was an 'easyish' way to get at the sky epgdata.

I've read forum after forum about it and have overloaded my brain! (not hard I know)
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Sage Icon

Nothing is impossible but.....

Sky uses a separate frequency to stream the one week epg info to digiboxes in a proprietary manner.

The standard dvb-s stream only has now and next epg info which is useless for scheduling recordings although there are tools that allow you to read this short term info and turn it into xmltv.

I think radio times data is still the best source....
Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

oh well, it was just a thought. I missed 2 episodes of Heroes as radio times said it was on when it wasn't, so I thought I'd have a quick look around for other posibilities.

It would be nice if sky made their epg available for download, though that won't ever happen in our lifetime
Old 07-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Sage Expert

As Lucas said, anything is possible, you just need a proper mad coder to take a look at the job!

I got as far as finding some c/assembly code that would decode the stream but haven't time, inclination (or ability!) to investigate further.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

There is an MD-API plugin working with myTheatre called EPG4cplus that connects to the media highway feed of your satellite provider, downloads the entire (weekly) EPG and creates a guide.xml file compatible with xmltv. This file can than be easily imported using scripts or importers (e.g. StephaneM's).

I dont know if it works with UK Sky, it does for Italian Sky and French D+ but you might want to give it a try. In the past it had some incompatibilities with the newest SS2 drivers but I see a new version out.

Just google "EPG4cplus" to find it.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalmorri View Post
There is an MD-API plugin working with myTheatre called EPG4cplus that connects to the media highway feed of your satellite provider, downloads the entire (weekly) EPG and creates a guide.xml file compatible with xmltv. This file can than be easily imported using scripts or importers (e.g. StephaneM's).

I dont know if it works with UK Sky, it does for Italian Sky and French D+ but you might want to give it a try. In the past it had some incompatibilities with the newest SS2 drivers but I see a new version out.

Just google "EPG4cplus" to find it.

Cheers
This sounds just what I'm looking for - I've downloaded EPG4cplus - can't find a 'How to' on configuring or using it - could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

EPG4Cplus is an mdapi plugin therefore it needs to be unpacked into the plugins folder of your mdapi compliant application.

If using mytheatre just unzip it into the Plugins folder, restart the application, right click on the MT screen, select Plug-Ins and see if it appears in the list. You also need the MD API wrapper in the same folder in order to run MDAPI plugins (search for mdapiwrapper, I think v1.28 is the latest).

I have never been able to make it work because of my newer drivers loaded in ... so my help stops here :-)

Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalmorri View Post
EPG4Cplus is an mdapi plugin therefore it needs to be unpacked into the plugins folder of your mdapi compliant application.

If using mytheatre just unzip it into the Plugins folder, restart the application, right click on the MT screen, select Plug-Ins and see if it appears in the list. You also need the MD API wrapper in the same folder in order to run MDAPI plugins (search for mdapiwrapper, I think v1.28 is the latest).

I have never been able to make it work because of my newer drivers loaded in ... so my help stops here :-)

Good Luck!
Thanks - will give it a try!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmystique View Post
Thanks - will give it a try!
Let me know if you get it working, I got the dvb-s2 card today.

I can't do any testing for a week as I'm off to Salcombe tomorrow, and you know what that means! and more
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Sage Expert

EPG4CPlus won't work Sky UK. The Sky guide isn't in MHW format.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Is their any other way to get an epg for the FTA channels. I'm currently using radiotimes xmltv data but it doesnt have the more obscure channels like xleauge tv.

Hopefully when/if freesat launches next year we'll get a better epg and more channels including some HD goodness.