SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Sage User

Coax Splitter Inside Outlet?

I'm going to add a second capture card to my Sage server, and I wanted the install to look as clean as possible. Instead of having a cable come out of the outlet, into a splitter, then 2 more cables running to the server, I wanted to have an outlet that contains a splitter, then only 2 cables coming from the outlet to my server. Is there such a thing as a wall outlet that acts as a coax splitter? I know I could just replace my PVR-250 with a PVR-500, but the budget only allows for a second PVR-150.

Just curious!
Xig
Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have never seen a splitter built into a wall plate but you might be able to fit a splitter behind a double connector plate in your wall.

Or. If you use, say 3 inch cables coming out of the splitter going right into the pc that wouldn't look bad.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Of course, the splitter will reduce your signal by 1/2. I try not to use any splitters for analog service because it noticeably reduces the signal quality. In fact, I have my video server as close to the cable inlet as possible, and I use all RG6 quad shield 3 GHz cable, solid copper from my cable feed. I had the old RG59 underground feed replaced last summer and the cable company installed two RG11 lines. Really good stuff! One line is dedicated to my server, the other is used for distribution throughout the rest of the house and the internet box.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I also am not aware of any "in the wall" splitter, but if on the budget, you can't afford a PVR500, then it seems to me that spending a bunch of money just to make it pretty seems kind of backward. Can't you just hide the splitter/cables right behind the unit using 3" or 6" cables? Then it will just look like a single cable upto the back (unless you look reaalllyyy closely).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you have a box in the wall a dual splitter will fit into it, if you have the plate with the piece of coax coming right through it you can just change the plate and either put a splitter in the wall or in the box or in the basement and bring 2 lines up, lots of options.

Yes, as stated, don't forget you will lose some signal quality.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, there are wall plate mountable taps and splitters. Use the 3db tap for the closest match to a splitter. They are kind of hard to fit into a standard wall outlet when mounted into the standard catv face plate hole. Your best bet may be to use a blank face plate and drill your own holes.

Your could use a deep outlet box (if possible) and run a short coax cable from the splitter "out" port to a second f81 mounted on the plate.

Last edited by Menehune; 05-16-2007 at 12:00 AM.