SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Fastrack
Question Watching Analog / HD Show recording (next hour).. when watching live tv

Hi all,

I'm not really sure how to describe this... I only have 5 days left of my evaluation... And this is pretty close to a show stopper for me.....

I have Analog Rogers Cable with a PVR150 but I also have a HDHomeRun.

Global TV - Analog
WUTV-DT Fox 29 from Buffalo - HD

I was watching Hero's on Global from 8pm -> 9pm. But before I started I manually set up 24 to record from 9pm to 10pm on WUTV-DT (HD). However at the end of Heroes 24 it started the next show on Global which is also 24.. 3 minutes into the 9pm hour (24 is also on Global at 9pm).

When I went to Recorded shows.. 24 was only in the list once... But I noticed on the file system it recorded both... I'm only assuming this nature as Sage figured we were watching "LiveTV"

Is there a way to stop this feature , or show both shows in Sage Recordings?

Ben

Last edited by Fastrack; 05-01-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Everything in Sage is a recording. That's the first thing to get used to, Sage doesn't use a circular buffer like (to my knowledge) every other PVR out there. It has benefits, it has some oddities.

Sage Recordings by default shows everything that's recorded, that includes LiveTV. However LiveTV is deleted "shortly" after recording, or as space is needed (there's a property to make it almost immediate when Intelligent Recording is disabled).

Also you can filter the Recordings list (select Options) to show only scheduled recordings (Favorites and Manual Recordings).
Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Everything in Sage is a recording. That's the first thing to get used to, Sage doesn't use a circular buffer like (to my knowledge) every other PVR out there. It has benefits, it has some oddities.

Sage Recordings by default shows everything that's recorded, that includes LiveTV. However LiveTV is deleted "shortly" after recording, or as space is needed (there's a property to make it almost immediate when Intelligent Recording is disabled).

Also you can filter the Recordings list (select Options) to show only scheduled recordings (Favorites and Manual Recordings).
Ok don't get me wrong the recording everything is VERY cool. I'll have to test it out.... Maybe I just missed something...

I'll do some more testing.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack View Post
Ok don't get me wrong the recording everything is VERY cool. I'll have to test it out.... Maybe I just missed something...
It's something that usually catches new "converts". Most PVRs use a buffer when viewing live, this buffer is "hidden" from view, in that it doesn't show up in the interface anywhere as a recording.

Sage creates a new file for each show you watch as you view TV live, and these show up in the recordings list (by default).

The advantages and disadvantages of each have been gone over ad nauseum in the past, but basically it comes down to this, with the buffer method, whenever you change channel, anything buffered is lost, so if you decide to go back (eg flip channels during a commercial), what had been recorded is lost. Also buffers are typically 30-60 minutes, so they don't always cover an entire show. If you want to save what you're watching some PVR/DVRs will nuke the buffer when you hit record, others will only get 30-60 minutes or the period you've most recently been on the channel.

With the SageTV method of "recording" each show, if you change channels and go back, the parts of the show you watched are retained, and can easily be saved (by pressing Record), or if you've been watching something longer than a typical buffer size, all of it can be saved.

Sage automatically cleans up Live recordings so the only real end user difference between Sage's method and a buffer, is that the user sees all the recent show's watched as LiveTV.

Also note that there are several sorting and filtering options that can help "declutter" the recordings list. For example the "Intelligent" sorting option will always place LiveTV recordings at the very bottom.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Unless there's a favorite or manual recording that takes precident SageTV will always start recording the next live program after the one you're watching if you are real-time or near real-time. Whenever this has happened with me pressing stop on the remote cues SageTV to stop playing and, in my experience, will cause it to stop recording the next live show on the same channel and remove it from the recorded list.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi all,

Taddeusz - Yes I've seen that before and I think it's amazing. I'm coming from my own PVR that I wrote (TV Guide front end/scheduling... and using WinTVCap to pause livetv). SageTV is leaps and bounds better I've seen the prompt pop up when watching, asking if it's "okay to change the channel"!!! ....

stanger89 - I think in this weird cause I had 2 channels (one I was watching live). And another in which I manually clicked record on (different tuners of course)

I just tested this again tonight... And Sage switched at the hour, and started to record the same show on Analog and Digital...

So there is no problem.. I must have missed this the first time around! My mistake..

Thanks for the responses

Ben