SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
I don't see why that would make any difference. Are you sure you're permissions are set right? I make sure that sage server, the clients, and the NAS all run under the same username with the same password.

Thanks,
mike
If permissions were an issue, the initial attempt to write the files would fail. They write fine, the R5000 app just eats up cpu bit by bit if a client starts to view the currently recording files, when they are being saved to a UNC share on the same server that is doing the recording. All my other recording directories are defined as UNC shares on the same server.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Cool FUll turnkey, seemless On Demand addon for R5000!

I finally made what I was imagining a couple of weeks ago into reality! I actually did exactly what I said I would do.

I just bought a 4:3 19" DVI/HDCP LCD computer monitor which connects to my cablebox. This required a bit of work with girder and a little help from X-10 control.

Now.. when I press the custom On Demand button on my remote, it turns on the below monitor and puts my cablebox #2 in On Demand mode (via UIRT IR. Without pressing anything else, I can use the same ARROW KEYS, ENTER, BACK, STOP, ENTER, etc on my remote to navigate though the ondemand menus (I dont have to switch remotes or switch sources on my remote). After pressing PLAY on my remote, the small LCD turns off, and automatically puts my remote back to control sageTV to watch/record On Demand! Works every time.

(If you look carefully, you'll see the USB-UIRT IR extender hooked up the box #2)

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I finally made what I was imagining a couple of weeks ago into reality! I actually did exactly what I said I would do.

I just bought a 4:3 19" DVI/HDCP LCD computer monitor which connects to my cablebox. This required a bit of work with girder and a little help from X-10 control.

Now.. when I press the custom On Demand button on my remote, it turns on the below monitor and puts my cablebox #2 in On Demand mode (via UIRT IR. Without pressing anything else, I can use the same ARROW KEYS, ENTER, BACK, STOP, ENTER, etc on my remote to navigate though the ondemand menus (I dont have to switch remotes or switch sources on my remote). After pressing PLAY on my remote, the small LCD turns off, and automatically puts my remote back to control sageTV to watch/record On Demand! Works every time.

(If you look carefully, you'll see the USB-UIRT IR extender hooked up the box #2)
Very neat. How do you tell Sage to record the ondemand program? manual record of N minutes on ch 1?

thanks,
Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Mike, for some reason, it doesnt work for me to record On Demand channel 1; even though it makes the most sense. That channel the video is black with no audio. Instead, I need to set it to any premium cable channel other than 1. I ended up putting setting it on channel 901 which is a full time radio channel; which was a good replacement.

The way I record is very simple. I just hit Record on my remote to start the recording (I get prompted to start the recording from that point on) and press record again on my remote at the end of the recording (I get prompted to save partial recording. This is a function of SageMC.

I've already started to collect Howard TV HD clips for my imported videos.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Mike, for some reason, it doesnt work for me to record On Demand channel 1; even though it makes the most sense. That channel the video is black with no audio. Instead, I need to set it to any premium cable channel other than 1. I ended up putting setting it on channel 901 which is a full time radio channel; which was a good replacement.

The way I record is very simple. I just hit Record on my remote to start the recording (I get prompted to start the recording from that point on) and press record again on my remote at the end of the recording (I get prompted to save partial recording. This is a function of SageMC.

I've already started to collect Howard TV HD clips for my imported videos.
Interesting. I guess it doesn't matter for the R5000, as your direct IR command to the STB will select ondemand anyway.

Congrats!

thanks,
mike
Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey you DCT501+R5000 users.

If you have a DCT modded in this way can you still use it as a receiver?

I have found that if the receiver is playing back audio from a non-catv source, it won't tune a CATV channel. The only way I can get it to tune is to switch to a CATV source, tune the channel, and then switch back to video1, which is my HTPC source. I doubt I can automate all that mode flipping with my IR blaster.

Does the addition of the R5000 sort of split the amp from the DCT part?

Will the serial port tuning function turn the channel even if the using is in Video1 mode? I see that there is a CATV record mode, makes it so the CATV continues to output on VCR1 while you can watch a DVD in DVD mode, but it locks out changing the channels via IR - will it tune via R5000 or Serial while the source is not set to CATV?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Excellent! They finally wised up to what the regulations say. Make sure when you talk to them that they need to make sure the policy is well distributed internally to all their systems. After all this hassle, you want to make sure that others, incarcerated in the chains of Charter service everywhere get their legally required capability to add a customer owned box!
I'll be doing this on Monday. As of last week Monday, I still didn't have my DCP provisioned. I realized it had been a month and bugged my township again, they bug Charter again and within two days, I received phone calls and now, I am happy to say that it is provisioned! Their story is that they had to make major changes in their billing system to make sure that I wouldn't be charged the leasing fee once they added it into the system - and that was what took so long.

I have one small issue in that the HD Tier (HDNet, TNTHD, etc) didn't get authorized, but HBOHD, and my local HDs did. I had the same thing happen when I picked up a DCT6200 from the local office. So one phone call should solve that.

I was afraid that this would never happen, so I never shipped the unit to Nextcom, I need to get into contact with them now and arrange for the R5000 mod! I'm sooo excited.

I'm waiting on a PSU and case for my storage server also, then I will have space for all of this content to write to

Thanks for your help again mikesm, the letter that I sent to Charter was fool proof.

EDIT: I just canceled my DirecTV - they wanted to give me two HD receivers for free to get me to stay, I said, "no thanks"...

-Kevin

Last edited by KJake; 06-30-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake View Post
I'll be doing this on Monday. As of last week Monday, I still didn't have my DCP provisioned. I realized it had been a month and bugged my township again, they bug Charter again and within two days, I received phone calls and now, I am happy to say that it is provisioned! Their story is that they had to make major changes in their billing system to make sure that I wouldn't be charged the leasing fee once they added it into the system - and that was what took so long.

I have one small issue in that the HD Tier (HDNet, TNTHD, etc) didn't get authorized, but HBOHD, and my local HDs did. I had the same thing happen when I picked up a DCT6200 from the local office. So one phone call should solve that.

I was afraid that this would never happen, so I never shipped the unit to Nextcom, I need to get into contact with them now and arrange for the R5000 mod! I'm sooo excited.

I'm waiting on a PSU and case for my storage server also, then I will have space for all of this content to write to

Thanks for your help again mikesm, the letter that I sent to Charter was fool proof.

EDIT: I just canceled my DirecTV - they wanted to give me two HD receivers for free to get me to stay, I said, "no thanks"...

-Kevin
Just saw this old post... Hey, how is it working for you?

thx
mike
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Sage Icon

Has it really been that long? oh man...

Well, the box is still provisioned but I never got the mod. the reason being is that I couldn't get them to activate all of my channels and I just gave up for a while because I couldn't see a way to make them understand their own systems.

What was going on is that a block of HD channels were actually not authorized. I told them this and they claimed that the sent a refresh to the system while I was at work, but no go. I told them, look, I can get HBOHD, etc, etc, but I'm just missing TNTHD, etc, etc. Then they started coming back with, that system isn't capable of receiving HD channels. I said, yes, it is capable of receiving HD signals, but its decoder isn't capable of displaying them. I claimed that I have an HD200 to do the decoding and there's no issue, just turn on my channels!

Blah, blah, it apparently got ran up the flag pole and some "high-up" tech still shot it down saying I was wrong. I just gave up.

I really want to do this now. I've got my HDHR working good now for the locals (had an issue where I think any file access on an HDHR file while it was still writing would cause a slight corruption or something and playback would horrible - I told SA to wait to process and upped my signal at the splitter and it's been crystal clear since), so I'd like to add in the HDs of HBO, Stars, MTV, Discovery, TNT, ESPN, etc.

My last thought on this would be that I contact them again, and ask for an email address. At that point, I would be able to more clearly explain their system to them, provide picture proof of a DCT2000 receiving an HD channel via the Debug menu, etc and let them chew on that. I definately got their attention to get this box on their system, and I'm sure I could stir up enough trouble again to say that they're not working with me to allow me to make full use of my customer owned equipment.

Sorry for the tirade, but you replied! heh...and I'm high on caffine and low on sleep...argh.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Has it really been that long? oh man...

Well, the box is still provisioned but I never got the mod. the reason being is that I couldn't get them to activate all of my channels and I just gave up for a while because I couldn't see a way to make them understand their own systems.

What was going on is that a block of HD channels were actually not authorized. I told them this and they claimed that the sent a refresh to the system while I was at work, but no go. I told them, look, I can get HBOHD, etc, etc, but I'm just missing TNTHD, etc, etc. Then they started coming back with, that system isn't capable of receiving HD channels. I said, yes, it is capable of receiving HD signals, but its decoder isn't capable of displaying them. I claimed that I have an HD200 to do the decoding and there's no issue, just turn on my channels!

Blah, blah, it apparently got ran up the flag pole and some "high-up" tech still shot it down saying I was wrong. I just gave up.

I really want to do this now. I've got my HDHR working good now for the locals (had an issue where I think any file access on an HDHR file while it was still writing would cause a slight corruption or something and playback would horrible - I told SA to wait to process and upped my signal at the splitter and it's been crystal clear since), so I'd like to add in the HDs of HBO, Stars, MTV, Discovery, TNT, ESPN, etc.

My last thought on this would be that I contact them again, and ask for an email address. At that point, I would be able to more clearly explain their system to them, provide picture proof of a DCT2000 receiving an HD channel via the Debug menu, etc and let them chew on that. I definately got their attention to get this box on their system, and I'm sure I could stir up enough trouble again to say that they're not working with me to allow me to make full use of my customer owned equipment.

Sorry for the tirade, but you replied! heh...and I'm high on caffine and low on sleep...argh.
Tell them to activate the "App IF Port" using the DAC and see if that helps.

BTW, if they do get HD activated, you will get audio on the HD channels, but no video out. The box does not have the ability to decode the HD stream, so until you get the R5000-HD mod, the only way to tell if it's been provisioned properly is to go to a HD channel using the guide, tune to an HD channel and see if you get audio out. If it says "not authorized", then it's not provisioned properly.

Remember the DCP501 is not an HD box, but then for the purposes of the R5000-HD mod, it doesn't need to be. You have another device that takes care of that for you.

thx
mike
Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

Yup, I actually said that somewhere in my mess of a post. heh.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Tell them to activate the "App IF Port" using the DAC and see if that helps.

BTW, if they do get HD activated, you will get audio on the HD channels, but no video out. The box does not have the ability to decode the HD stream, so until you get the R5000-HD mod, the only way to tell if it's been provisioned properly is to go to a HD channel using the guide, tune to an HD channel and see if you get audio out. If it says "not authorized", then it's not provisioned properly.

Remember the DCP501 is not an HD box, but then for the purposes of the R5000-HD mod, it doesn't need to be. You have another device that takes care of that for you.

thx
mike
Hot D@mn! I decided to turn on my DCP501 for fun tonight because I noticed that we picked up some new HD channels. What do I find, but all of my HDs are authorized now! It has to be some sort of sign, I just paid off my credit card again. R5000, here I come!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hot D@mn! I decided to turn on my DCP501 for fun tonight because I noticed that we picked up some new HD channels. What do I find, but all of my HDs are authorized now! It has to be some sort of sign, I just paid off my credit card again. R5000, here I come!
Good show!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Good show!
Shipped it out at lunch time. I've been patient with this since July, so I just did Ground. I'm in the midwest though, so it shouldn't take too long to get to CT.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOSG View Post
I can only speak from my own and a couple of others who tried to use UNC paths on the same server that was acting as the SAGE server. Recording seemed OK, but as soon as we went to watch the currently recording stream (= to live tv also) from a client, the R5000 app ate up 100% cpu
I ran into this problem not knowing what was making my cpu go crazy... Doh. No way to make this work?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprine01 View Post
I ran into this problem not knowing what was making my cpu go crazy... Doh. No way to make this work?
I haven't tried in a long time.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Shipped it out at lunch time. I've been patient with this since July, so I just did Ground. I'm in the midwest though, so it shouldn't take too long to get to CT.
Got it back today and it works great. Giant set back though. Almost all of my HDs are NOT AUTHORIZED again. I think what happened is that Charter recently changed their line-up a little bit and probably pushed new settings down to everything on the network, which is why everything worked for me. Since I had to unplug the system to send it out, when I got it back today, it downloaded its old, incorrect config and now has nearly all the HDs turned off. Now I have to try and explain this to Charter, for a system that technically doesn't exist on their network. Sadness.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Got it back today and it works great. Giant set back though. Almost all of my HDs are NOT AUTHORIZED again. I think what happened is that Charter recently changed their line-up a little bit and probably pushed new settings down to everything on the network, which is why everything worked for me. Since I had to unplug the system to send it out, when I got it back today, it downloaded its old, incorrect config and now has nearly all the HDs turned off. Now I have to try and explain this to Charter, for a system that technically doesn't exist on their network. Sadness.
It may be they need to "hit" the box again... tell them it was working fine a few days ago, then you went on vacation and now that you are back it's screwed up... Also reread some of the things in this thread to say to the CSR's and see how far you get. Maybe someone here knows the VIP support line for your system and can reach someone with clue...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It may be they need to "hit" the box again... tell them it was working fine a few days ago, then you went on vacation and now that you are back it's screwed up... Also reread some of the things in this thread to say to the CSR's and see how far you get. Maybe someone here knows the VIP support line for your system and can reach someone with clue...
Yup, I'm sure that's all that needs to be done. They've just never done it right before, so I'm a little worried. There was a power outage yesterday morning, so I can mostly tell the truth and just say that after the power outage they are gone now I have a sort of VIP line already, but I lost the phone number. I contacted my township office again for them to have their contact within Charter call me.

I removed the R5000 from the line-up for now. I'm going to have to create a new line-up for it since a lot of my lower channels are still analog and it can not capture those. I should think this all over, there might be a better way to arrange it with merits and such (2 Tuners for QAM, 2 Tuners for Analog, 1 R5000, 1 WinTVUSB2 hooked to a MOTO HD STB). I want to use my Analog tuners as little as possible because their PQ is pretty fuzzy.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yup, I'm sure that's all that needs to be done. They've just never done it right before, so I'm a little worried. There was a power outage yesterday morning, so I can mostly tell the truth and just say that after the power outage they are gone now I have a sort of VIP line already, but I lost the phone number. I contacted my township office again for them to have their contact within Charter call me.

I removed the R5000 from the line-up for now. I'm going to have to create a new line-up for it since a lot of my lower channels are still analog and it can not capture those. I should think this all over, there might be a better way to arrange it with merits and such (2 Tuners for QAM, 2 Tuners for Analog, 1 R5000, 1 WinTVUSB2 hooked to a MOTO HD STB). I want to use my Analog tuners as little as possible because their PQ is pretty fuzzy.
Are you sure that it can't pick up analog stations? In most markets, the MSO's are simulcasting analog stations on digital so they can use digital only STB's like the DCT700 and DCH3*** series...