SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
Are you sure that it can't pick up analog stations? In most markets, the MSO's are simulcasting analog stations on digital so they can use digital only STB's like the DCT700 and DCH3*** series...
heh, this is Charter we're talking about here

I tuned the channel to 3 (CBS SD analog local) and the R5000 DVR software said it couldn't find the program to record and sat waiting and the .ts file was of 0 size. When I moved it up past 100, then it would work. I assumed this is because most of the channels below 100 are analog. From what I can tell, Charter doesn't use those models either.

I've also noticed on the DCT2000 debug screens that it will tell you whether a channel is being tuned as analog or digital and I recall a lot of the lower channels being analog.

Perhaps after the Feb 2009 deal they'll move those channels to real digital...unless, is that what the Program Mappings are for in the R5000 DVR program? Somehow it will get the digital version instead?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake View Post
heh, this is Charter we're talking about here

I tuned the channel to 3 (CBS SD analog local) and the R5000 DVR software said it couldn't find the program to record and sat waiting and the .ts file was of 0 size. When I moved it up past 100, then it would work. I assumed this is because most of the channels below 100 are analog. From what I can tell, Charter doesn't use those models either.

I've also noticed on the DCT2000 debug screens that it will tell you whether a channel is being tuned as analog or digital and I recall a lot of the lower channels being analog.

Perhaps after the Feb 2009 deal they'll move those channels to real digital...unless, is that what the Program Mappings are for in the R5000 DVR program? Somehow it will get the digital version instead?
The R5000 doesn't concern itself with channel mapping. ;-) That is, the STB gets a channel map downloaded to it via the OOB QPSK signal that the cable systems transmits, usually down around 125 MHz or so. That mapping tells the STB to map channel numbers on the box to specific frequencies. In digital simulcast markets (ADS), the box is told to map a analog channel number to a QAM carrier and program index, so that even though there might be an analog 50 on the plant, when the R5000 tells the STB to tune to 50, the box tunes the digital version of 50 instead. It's really transparent to the the R5000.

Now since the R5000 is a digital only device, if you really don't have ADS (and boy your system is pretty backwards if that's still the case), then it will not be able to record analog programming, as it has no analog mpeg encoder onboard to do that with. You'll have to use an analog tuner in sage for that. But I can't believe they would not have a plan to go to ADS soon, it's critical so they can use cheap boxes.
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The R5000 doesn't concern itself with channel mapping. ;-) That is, the STB gets a channel map downloaded to it via the OOB QPSK signal that the cable systems transmits, usually down around 125 MHz or so. That mapping tells the STB to map channel numbers on the box to specific frequencies. In digital simulcast markets (ADS), the box is told to map a analog channel number to a QAM carrier and program index, so that even though there might be an analog 50 on the plant, when the R5000 tells the STB to tune to 50, the box tunes the digital version of 50 instead. It's really transparent to the the R5000.

Now since the R5000 is a digital only device, if you really don't have ADS (and boy your system is pretty backwards if that's still the case), then it will not be able to record analog programming, as it has no analog mpeg encoder onboard to do that with. You'll have to use an analog tuner in sage for that. But I can't believe they would not have a plan to go to ADS soon, it's critical so they can use cheap boxes.
Is there a good way for me to figure out if I have ADS now?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is there a good way for me to figure out if I have ADS now?
If you have another STB, tune to an analog channel like CNN, then run the STb's diagnotics to see what channel it's tuned to and if it has a QAM lock or analog function. Or call up your MSO and see if they have DCT700's available. If they will rent you a DCT700, you have ADS.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If you have another STB, tune to an analog channel like CNN, then run the STb's diagnotics to see what channel it's tuned to and if it has a QAM lock or analog function. Or call up your MSO and see if they have DCT700's available. If they will rent you a DCT700, you have ADS.
Yup, they're all still analog. Because I want to use the R5000 and don't want to take the time to remap every channel on the Comcast line-up, I went ahead and turned off all the analog channels for the R5000 and the WinUSBPVR2 since they both use the same channel line-up. Then the merits have been setup to have the HDHR highest, the R5000, the WinUSBPVR2, and then the analogs.

I received the email address for my old contact at Charter today. I'm going to give her a little time to respond since my township forwarded the message I sent to her already. It will be nice to have an email address though. Most of the time when I talked to anyone on the phone there, they completely misunderstood what I was saying to them. This way, I can spell it out and provide references (which got me this far in the first place).
Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Sage Icon

I got all my HD channels back on Weds

Channels that were missing: TNTHD, HistoryHD, MuchTVHD, AEHD, UniversalHD, HDnet, HDnetMovies, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, HD Theatre. I think GolfHD was there..not sure. So 10 new channels, all in HD, fun.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I got all my HD channels back on Weds

Channels that were missing: TNTHD, HistoryHD, MuchTVHD, AEHD, UniversalHD, HDnet, HDnetMovies, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, HD Theatre. I think GolfHD was there..not sure. So 10 new channels, all in HD, fun.
Nice to hear that! Once you get an R5000-HD working, it's hard to imagine what you used to put up with...

And you get HDnet to boot, which is nice since almost no cable operators carry it.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Lots of questions as I want to move to HD:

1. I'm looking to move from DTV to Verizon FIOS - good move? bad move? Cost wise it seems to be better and from what I understand quality should be better along with more channels.

2. What is the best card to use with Verizon Fios (or do I stay with DTV)? EIther way I would like to switch to HD and make it work with Sage as I currently have SD with DTV.

3. Currently I use serial com ports to change the channel. I'm not sure if I need to pull the com board and switch to firewire or how does this all work.

4. How big are the HD files when Sage saves them (or the card streams them) on the PC? What happens if one is watching a channel that is not HD but SD then does it still stream it as digital or does the card capture with the options like DVD standard, long play, etc.

5. Where can I get the capture card and how much are they.?

It would seem to be a lot easier if there were just a pc Card that has the STB as part of the card rather than an STB for all this. Anything out there like that?

Thank you for the help as my wife will probably never like Sage until we have HD.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Lots of questions as I want to move to HD:

1. I'm looking to move from DTV to Verizon FIOS - good move? bad move? Cost wise it seems to be better and from what I understand quality should be better along with more channels.

2. What is the best card to use with Verizon Fios (or do I stay with DTV)? EIther way I would like to switch to HD and make it work with Sage as I currently have SD with DTV.

3. Currently I use serial com ports to change the channel. I'm not sure if I need to pull the com board and switch to firewire or how does this all work.

4. How big are the HD files when Sage saves them (or the card streams them) on the PC? What happens if one is watching a channel that is not HD but SD then does it still stream it as digital or does the card capture with the options like DVD standard, long play, etc.

5. Where can I get the capture card and how much are they.?

It would seem to be a lot easier if there were just a pc Card that has the STB as part of the card rather than an STB for all this. Anything out there like that?

Thank you for the help as my wife will probably never like Sage until we have HD.

Thanks,
Mike
1) VZ may not have the same number of HD channels that DirecTV does, but they are close and the fiber internet connectivity is very nice. DirecTV is proprietary, but VZ lets you use QAM tuners and other cable style gear, including R5000-HD modded Motorola STB's, which let you record everything in pure digital form. DirecTV does not have an R5000-HD option, at least for all the good HD stuff. So I would vote for FIOS.

2) I would get an HDHoemrun for clear QAM channels, and get a VZ STB modded with a R5000-HD. Just got a model with no firewire interface - DVR not needed. That will record everything else. Maybe an SD STB for feeding an analog encoder tuner for SD content if you record a lot of TV.

3) If you get firewire recording working, it will also change channels. If you get an R5000-HD mod, it will change the channels via the USB interface. the VZ STB's from Moto obey the same Moto IR codes that normal cable boxes do, so you can control the analog versions via a USB-UIRT or the like. Sage has very good support for IR blasting to Moto STB's.

4) If you have an R5000-HD, use the compressed setting. It will record the MPEG2 from teh box at whatever data rate it's being sent as. HD will be a lot bigger than SD. It's just giving you the native bitstream, so however big that stream is, that's what you'll get. If select the option where it pads everything, everything will seem like an HD recording, but you don't need that for Sage. The same will be true for a firewire capture for those channels that are not 5C'd.

5) Google R5000-HD and you can contact them for specific advice on FIOS boxes, but that's the best option as far as I can tell. Maybe 1394 for a 2nd box.

If you go the R5000-HD route, I'll help you on the specifics of getting it going.

Is this helpful?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikesm; 02-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Sage Icon

The whole thing is a bit scary right now because I have my Sage system working so very well with DTV. But, you know how it is, wife and kids expect it to work flawlessly as if nothing would ever go wrong (like when they have Tivo - but we never had it long enough for the hard drive to crash).

I'm confused with some of the terms. I see what you are saying about getting at least one SD box for being able to record a lot as we do now. I have like 500 hours free and there is like 500 hours of SD content and that is just regular recordings. The imported stuff which I've encoded in MP4 has like over 1000 movies.

Anyways, the tech support said the HDDVR Motorola QIP 6416 is the HD box I would be getting and that I could change the channels via the serial port as I do now with the DTV STB but I'm hesitant to believe anything Tech support says unless I can verify it or somewhere here has already had success with that.

What is QAM? I see the R5000 is quite pricey and I don't fully understand how people just ship their STB to the company as they are without TV (at least of that STB) for some time.

You said "HDHoemrun for clear QAM channels, and get a VZ STB modded with a R5000-HD"

What is a "clear QAM" channel? I don't understand the difference between the HD Home Run and the R5000 and why you are recommending both.

I currently utilize 3 STB with DTV right now. So, I'm thinking I can probably do the same with FIOS but it sounds like perhaps I may only need one capable of HD and the rest SD. Or I'm not sure if you recommend all the STB to be HD since the HD STB will also record in SD if I route one to an analog tuner card. But, then why pay the extra $5 / month for the HD STB?

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike
Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Sage Icon

One more thing - I searched for HD Home run and noticed that it seems to be a STB. Does this mean I would use that instead of the supplied Motorola HD STB for my Fios network? Or does the STB go to the HD Home Run? How does the HD Home Run steam the data to the PC?

Thanks,
Mike