SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Sage Icon

Windows XP will be phased out by the end of the year

FYI: Windows XP will be phased out by the end of the year. Apparently Microsoft wants to force people to switch to Vista (which includes performance and reliablity crippling DRM).

I may need to purchase another copy of Windows XP Pro so that I am not stuck with Vista.

http://digg.com/microsoft/Windows_XP...ustomer_demand
Old 04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I heard it was the "OEM" XP that this "phase out" affected, I think you'll still be able to by "retail" copies after the end of the year... It has been said that Microsoft's XP support will go on til around 2012 anyway
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage Expert

Microsoft Support for OS's is 5 years at the most recent service pack level. SP 2 was released sometime late last year I think so that means Microsoft will support it until AT LEAST late 2011.

Hopefully by then, all the Vista bugs will be worked out.
My computers aren't beefy enough for Vista. I'll be using XP for awhile still.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
FYI: Windows XP will be phased out by the end of the year. Apparently Microsoft wants to force people to switch to Vista (which includes performance and reliablity crippling DRM).

I may need to purchase another copy of Windows XP Pro so that I am not stuck with Vista.
Microsoft has done the same thing every time they release a new OS, this is nothing new at all. They aren't forcing anybody to use anything. And as for the "performance and reliablity crippling DRM, you only really have to use it if you use the Media Center part, as for the rest, use whatever software you want. I haven't noticed any performance or reliability problems at all (in fact, my machine behaves MUCH better on Vista than it ever did on XP, I reboot my main PC maybe once or twice a month, and that due to updates). I'm going to guess you've not tried it, as most people (notice I say most, not all) that I know that have tried it prefer it over XP.

The only machines I have in the house anymore that use XP, are my Sage boxes, as I just can't justify the expense of upgrading them (yet), and 2 machines running Server 2003.

After the OEM's have been disco'ed, you'll likely be able to get it from places like http://www.royaldiscount.com/microsoft.html. You can still buy Windows 95, 98, NT & ME there if you really want them...

My point is, this is the same thing we see every time a new OS is released from Microsoft, and the same old tired complaint. It's called Progress.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'll continue to use XP on my boxes for a long time. My box only does sage functionality, so I don't really care for security updates. Hell, most holes are caused by IE which never gets launched anyway

Plus, the last thing I want is vista using 90% of my server's functionality just to run itself.

And then theres the DRM.

Thank god I primarily use Macs.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Sage Icon

I just put a new box together - to test the current generation of linux distros.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat View Post
I'll continue to use XP on my boxes for a long time. My box only does sage functionality, so I don't really care for security updates. Hell, most holes are caused by IE which never gets launched anyway

Plus, the last thing I want is vista using 90% of my server's functionality just to run itself.

And then theres the DRM.

Thank god I primarily use Macs.
Vista doesn't use anywhere near 90% of my machines capacity, doesn't use any more than XP did on the same hardware. If you're basing that on the memory usage, 'free ram' is basically wasted ram. If your application needs it, Windows releases it. As for the DRM, if you're not using Media Center on it, the DRM doesn't enter into it.

If XP is working fine, don't update it unless you just want the latest. I prefer the vista interface, and I really wish the Sage media center looked more like the vista media center interface, especially in the plugin department.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
And as for the "performance and reliablity crippling DRM, you only really have to use it if you use the Media Center part, as for the rest, use whatever software you want. I haven't noticed any performance or reliability problems at all (in fact, my machine behaves MUCH better on Vista than it ever did on XP, I reboot my main PC maybe once or twice a month, and that due to updates). I'm going to guess you've not tried it, as most people (notice I say most, not all) that I know that have tried it prefer it over XP.
Exactly! I recently purchased a new laptop and based on the BS and FUD that's been spread about Vista I was really worried about how it would perform (best option I could find had Vista preinstalled)

Performance absolutely rocks...wayyyy better than I was expecting. I'd still give it about 6 months so the hardware manufacturer's can release some better drivers...but so far I've had no issues at all. Sage Placeshifter runs just fine (wireless) on this laptop & I haven't had any performance or stability issues whatsoever.

It does eat memory...but it releases it when you need it & uses it to speed up application launches. I've really noticed a difference on how this improves the user experience...my work <i>desktop</i> PC is similar specs to the laptop, but the laptop just seems wayyyy more responsive.

Must admit though, in this case the Microsoft bashers have done a great job spreading BS about Vista...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Vista is not all that bad, The aero destop can be disabled, the UI can be set back to classic mode, and the memmory management can be optimized for the system its on, Basically vista can be setup to emulate xp very closely just like xp could be for 98. The drivers still need a little work, however all in all vista is not that bad.

With that said I still prefer XP just because thats mostly what I have around to work with.

Flavius, I havent played with any linux distros in about a year, When I did the main problem I had was driver issues for everything from my RAID to my video card, Let us know how it works out for you, I might play with them myself again.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Sage Icon

from what I've been told and seen over the years, n*x distros work better with legacy hardware than bleeding-edge stuff. that in itself might limit its usefulness to an extent. works great for me as file storage/firewall on P2 and older hardware.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wish my Vista experience was as good as some of you have had.
I recently bought a Laptop with Vista Basic preinstalled.
I liked the look of Vista but was a bit disappointed with the speed.
I guessed it was just the Laptop ( it was the cheapest I could find ).

I needed to do some scanning and found Vista didn't like the scanner driver.
Rather than buy a new scanner I did a quick install of XP and I was amazed how fast the Laptop ran and I don't mean just a bit faster.

The guys at the local Computer Shop told me Vista needed a 1G of ram to work properly - my laptop only has 512.

So until I find $100.00 to buy 1G of ram XP will stay on the Laptop.

If Microsoft wanted users to have a good experience in Vista they should have given Laptop manufacturers an extra discount on the software and made them put a 1G of ram on board.

I'll bet most of the people who bought the same Laptop as I did will not be that pleased with the speed especially if they were used to XP.

Good way to get users to upgrade to a faster model I guess
Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wink

Wow, really Corporate America won't be upgrading to Vista Business until 2010
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Wow, really Corporate America won't be upgrading to Vista Business until 2010
I know a few here locally that are making the switch now, but most aren't large companies.

As for Corp America, they always trail behind the releases. I remember when 2000 was the norm, and they weren't going to upgrade to XP. Like I said above, same crap, different OS, why is everyone surprised with this? I guess I'm showing my age, but it's been this way since Windows 3.0 came out (don't get me started about Windows 286/386, and prior versions, they were just a flash in the pan and not really worth arguing about at all )....
Old 04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
Microsoft Support for OS's is 5 years at the most recent service pack level. SP 2 was released sometime late last year I think so that means Microsoft will support it until AT LEAST late 2011.

Hopefully by then, all the Vista bugs will be worked out.
My computers aren't beefy enough for Vista. I'll be using XP for awhile still.
Sorry to dispute this statement, but I have been loading SP2 for about 2 years on clients computers. I then Googled and found this:

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 6, 2004 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing of Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies. This free service pack delivers the latest security updates and innovations from Microsoft, establishes strong default security settings, and adds new proactive protection features that will help better safeguard computers from hackers, viruses and other security risks.

Using your 5 year staement would mean outdated very soon.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Sage Icon

What were the specs/manufacturer of the laptop you bought? I'd personally not buy anything with Vista basic on it, home premium is the minimum I'd get (but that's just me I guess). I've run it on a couple Dell 1501's with 512m (premium that is), and it worked just fine. I'm wondering if the laptop was bare-minimum specs to run it?

Can't really blame microsoft for that one if that's the case. I also don't understand why basic would run any slower than XP, as most of the higher powered features of Vista are absent from that version (no Aero, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Norman View Post
I wish my Vista experience was as good as some of you have had.
I recently bought a Laptop with Vista Basic preinstalled.
I liked the look of Vista but was a bit disappointed with the speed.
I guessed it was just the Laptop ( it was the cheapest I could find ).

I needed to do some scanning and found Vista didn't like the scanner driver.
Rather than buy a new scanner I did a quick install of XP and I was amazed how fast the Laptop ran and I don't mean just a bit faster.

The guys at the local Computer Shop told me Vista needed a 1G of ram to work properly - my laptop only has 512.

So until I find $100.00 to buy 1G of ram XP will stay on the Laptop.

If Microsoft wanted users to have a good experience in Vista they should have given Laptop manufacturers an extra discount on the software and made them put a 1G of ram on board.

I'll bet most of the people who bought the same Laptop as I did will not be that pleased with the speed especially if they were used to XP.

Good way to get users to upgrade to a faster model I guess
Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
I know a few here locally that are making the switch now, but most aren't large companies.

As for Corp America, they always trail behind the releases. I remember when 2000 was the norm, and they weren't going to upgrade to XP. Like I said above, same crap, different OS, why is everyone surprised with this? I guess I'm showing my age, but it's been this way since Windows 3.0 came out (don't get me started about Windows 286/386, and prior versions, they were just a flash in the pan and not really worth arguing about at all )....
True I was there for Y2K look how that turned out in the Corp World. I support Corp Insurance Companies they just did a massive XP SP2 for the Day light saving time. Too bad next year is will have to be updated again for DST which will come earlier.

Wow 286 CPU ouch! 386SX, DX, 486SX, 486DX 486DX2. I see come companies still running Windows 95 and NT. W2K had it's problem alot of Servers still run NT Server and 2000 Server or Advanced Server. Cost money to make these upgrades, bring in consultants to do 1500 to 4000 desktops and laptops for re-imaging backup/restore data. Now it's called RBAC Role Base Action Control.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Sage User

I wouldn't sweat this. Dell, HP, and Gateway (and maybe others) are all re-introducing XP as an option for home systems.

--Steve
Old 04-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not to hijack the thread but my Vista experience has been aweful thus far.

I am the Sys Admin at my company and have volunteered to be the first to test Vista on our business machine. I have an Intel 3.0ghz core 2 Duo box with 1 gig of memory, a pretty fast box for business needs.

Vista runs like crap on it. Every time I get an email my PC stops responding for 20 seconds or so (then it gives the outlook popup in the systray). Navigating the start menu is painful and slow. It frequently just stops responding for seconds at a time... All in all the experience is like trying to run underwater... you can do it but it is slow and difficult.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_smith1969 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but my Vista experience has been aweful thus far.

I am the Sys Admin at my company and have volunteered to be the first to test Vista on our business machine. I have an Intel 3.0ghz core 2 Duo box with 1 gig of memory, a pretty fast box for business needs.
Throw more RAM at it and it'll be like night and day. I'm running 2.5 gigs in my 3GHz P4 and it's fine, have zero problems with it. Beta testing RC1 with 512megs was dog slow, popped in 2 more gigs of RAM and it woke it real good.

My friend is running Vista on 1Gig and complains all the time that's slow, and stutters all the time. It even locks up occasionally.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I'm still running Windows 98 on one of my boxes because it works fine for my needs, which are some old games. If it weren't for NTFS, I would have probably held out on Windows 98 even longer.

Robert