SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Sage User

Help with video cover art thumbnails

I am seeing different behavior between the Sage client that runs on the server and the plain ol' Sage client. I have an import directory that has movies. Each movie is in its own folder, and each movie has a jpg file for the cover art. I have tried naming the jpg the same as the movie, and also naming it folder.jpg.

Below is what my import dir looks like (I think it is pretty standard?)

Movies [Imported Directory]
--Terminator
----Terminator.avi
----Terminator.jpg

They show up fine, in the Sage server. On the client, however, I get a thumbnail that was generated from the avi file. Has anyone had this issue...or know what I am doing wrong?

BTW, this is with the default STV in both versions 6.0.x and 6.1.8.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by keefmyster; 04-08-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Sage User

No one has this problem huh? Cover art showing up for imported files in Sage server, but not in the client?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

it should work as "folder.jpg" not <moviename>.jpg

quite literally folder.jpg

Unless this applies to only the music. At which point I personally can't help since I don't keep imported videos

Good luck!

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

It should work for moviename.jpg. If that file isn't found, then it looks for folder.jpg. See the Video Thumbnails section in the PDF manual, p. 95 for v6.1.

You could try removing anything in the GeneratedThumbnails subdir on the client PC, or on the server for a Placeshifter or media extender client. Or, try removing and rescanning that video lib dir.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Try setting this in your properties file.

video_thumbnail_generation=false

Technazz
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Sage User

Thanks for your replies!

Opus:
I tried killing everything in the GeneratedThumbs folder on the client. Upon restarting the client, Sage continued to generate thumbnails from the videos themselves rather then using the associated jpg files. Instead of removing the video directory and rescanning it (I don't want to lose all my "watched" statuses), I created a new directory with videos and folder art and imported it. Sage ignored the associated moviename.jpg files and generated thumbnails from the videos again.

Technazz:
Thanks for your suggestion. I set video_thumbnail_generation to false and restarted the client. This worked great in that Sage now displayed the moviename.jpg or folder.jpg when it found them. However, for items that didn't have cover art, no thumbnail was generated (makes sense, since I told it not to).

I'd like Sage, and I think this is what it is supposed to do, show the moviename.jpg file or folder.jpg file when it finds them, and generate a thumbnail when it can't.

Again, I'm only seeing this issue on the client. Sage on the server works perfectly (shows moviename.jpg or folder.jpg, if neither exist, generates thumbnail from video).

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be very interested to hear/try them! (I miss seeing my cover art )
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Did you also completely remove the video import dir, rescan to get them out of the import list, then re-add & rescan again?

Maybe there is a problem regarding thumbnails on the client -- since you seem to be able to easily reproduce the issue, I suggest you report this directly to SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Sage User

Andy,
I didn't completely remove the import dir, rescan, re-add and then rescan again because I thought I might lose my "watched/unwatched" statuses. Instead, I created a brand new import directory, with new files, and imported it. I was thinking this would accomplish the same thing. Anyhow...I'll report my issue to Sage.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am also seeing the same behavior on a client as the OP. I set video_thumbnail_generation=false, which makes the downloaded cover art show up, but I agree that the default behavior should be movietitle.jpg > folder.jpg > generated thumbnail.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Sage User

Update
I sent an email to SageTV support and received the following:
Just to let you know we found the bug and it's fixed for the next version.
For a temporary fix you will need to have a mapped drive on your client
that's the same path as your server so that the client finds the thumbnail
I haven't tried the temporary fix, just thought I'd post the response so people would know that the issue is fixed and will be in the next version.

-Chris
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the new release! Version 6.1.9 fixed this issue!

-Chris