SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Question Scheduler Question

Three programs, two tuners (same lineup on both).

Show A: 21:31 - 22:01
Show B: 22:00 - 23:00
Show C: 22:00 - 22:30; repeats from 02:30 - 03:00 later tonight

The scheduler had it the way I expected it, that is record A and B then record C at 2:30 tonight. However, I just noticed that after Show A stopped, the scheduler then started to record Show C, losing the first minute.

Is this expected behaviour? Can it be prevented so that it will wait and record the 2:30 airing so as not to miss the first minute? I can see where this is handy if there were no other airings of Show C, but since it airs at 2:30, why doesn't the scheduler just wait until 2:30 so it gets the whole airing? If it's expected, what's the boundary on this (1 minute only? 5 mins?).

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Were you watching A live? Is it on the same channel as C, so the 1 minute overlap is from padding, or are they on separate channels?

If you were watching live & they are on the same channel, it would continue recording the show after the one you watch (live mode).

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
SageTVaholic

No live tv (all three recorded from favourite rules), all different channels, no rules padded. Show A was schedule for 21:31-22:01 in the EPG. This is not the first time I noticed this, but the last time I noticed this scenario, Show C did not have multiple airings so I just assumed that it was Sage's way to auto fix conflicts.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator

I don't remember hearing about this sort of problem, but I could have forgotten it.

BTW: Does this still happen when you aren't using your Recording Extender plugin?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:54 PM
SageTVaholic

My plugin wasn't running at the time this occurred tonight and the first time I noticed this was the first day I installed Sage so definitely no plugin then.

Since it sounds like this isn't expected behaviour, my first guess is that it may have something to do with first run only favourite rules? I'm not 100% sure about the first occurrence I noticed, but the three programs involved tonight were all based on favourite rules that were set to first run only. Perhaps the scheduler sees this after Show A stops and decides to start C immediately because it's a first run? Although the replay of Show C at 2:30-3:00 is also listed as a first run in the EPG. Just throwing it out there.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

First Run doesn't really mean the very first ever airing -- it is a tag from the EPG provider for a show that is in its first airing cycle over some time period. Some shows air once as a first run, some shows seem to air 175 times over the course of a week or two & they are all considered to be First Runs. When they air again weeks/months later, they would be considered Reruns.

I don't hear too much about scheduling problems & I don't remember this ever happening to me over the past few years, so I'm going to ask if there is some known issue that could cause this.

- Andy
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Yup, there is a known issue when favorites conflict for only a minute like this & the one that conflicted could get started up to a few minutes late once the other recording stops. I don't know the full scheduling story, but I think it is intended to catch something that just started & might otherwise be missed... but it has the downside in the situation you described where it could have waited to record it later.

I would say that maybe you could try preventing it by adding several minutes of end padding, but that might cause other conflicts or other short overlap situations.

- Andy
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Is this issue addressed (or will it be addressed) in the 6.1 RC builds?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

No, v6.1 is essentially done, so this issue will remain for now. You might want to go ahead and try adding start & end padding to see how it affects those shows.

- Andy
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Do I need to submit a bug report for this or does one already exist? If I need to, how might I go about it?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Do I need to submit a bug report for this or does one already exist?
Since it is a known issue, it is already being tracked. I have no idea when this behavior might be changed, though.

- Andy