SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

HELP--Sage Died...

I got up this morning and watched some TV. I have to periodically restart my server because it looses internet connectivity--not home network, just WWW connectivity. So, I restarted the server. Now, Sage will not restart--neither the service nor the application. The application hangs during the splash screen when "Sage Core is Initializing". So far, I have trouble shot by:
1. Reinstalled sage with no change.
2. Deleted the Sage.Properties and Wiz.bin, which temporarily allowed Sage to load. But as I tried to reconfigure, it locked up again. I restored the original properties and Wiz files.
3. Disabled tuners in the control panel to see if one of the tuners is hanging the system. No change.
4. Enabled debug logging, which consistently logs to this line: "Checking video directories for new files", then nothing proceeds. I am attaching the most recent log and one other.

Nothing has changed in the system for the last several days. Hardware hasn't been changed for months. Software is current with latest Beta (6.1.6). Anyone have any suggestions or see anything in the logs that might help me solve this?

Setup:
SageTV 6.1.6 running in service mode
XP-SP2
P4 3G 1 g ram
Onboard SoundMax Audio and ATI 8500 video (Video and audio in server machine are not typically used, since machine only feeds clients)
HD Seagate 300G SATA (HD is working and Sage video files will play in other players.

Edit:
Capture cards:
Hauppauge 500
Fusion 5 Lite
HDHomerun
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (22.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_2.txt (14.1 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by scm; 03-27-2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added capture cards to setup
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

It probably isn't beta-related, but since that is the version you are using, I moved your post to the beta forum from the software forum for consistency.

Where did it lock when you tried a completely new configuration? If you got to the point where you added import and/or recording dirs, try adding only one at a time to see if there is a problem with a specifc dir.

You said the HD is working & you can play the files in other players, but have you run any diagnostic utilities on the drives where your recordings and import dirs are located? If not, then download & run the test utilities from the drive's manufacturer to test the drives more thoroughly.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Where did it lock when you tried a completely new configuration?
Actually, at several points. One was during a scan of my Fusion 5 Lite card for channels. Then, it froze again when I tried to access the guide. Froze a third time when I tried to activate Inteligent Recording. Finally, my clients froze when they tried to connect.

Quote:
If you got to the point where you added import and/or recording dirs, try adding only one at a time to see if there is a problem with a specifc dir.
The lock-ups started after I switched the configuration from the default video directory to the drive I use. A freeze-up didn't occur immediately at this time.

Quote:
You said the HD is working & you can play the files in other players, but have you run any diagnostic utilities on the drives where your recordings and import dirs are located? If not, then download & run the test utilities from the drive's manufacturer to test the drives more thoroughly.
Good point. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I used Seagate Tools and the drive passed a long self-test and a short generic test. No indication that the drive is bad.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Sage User

Hi,

Did you check for any zero byte .mpg files? Check all paths, including import directories. Mine gets awfully slow during closure of a viewed video and hangs on those files on restart.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Sage Icon

Enable logging and see what it's doing when it crashes.

Also check for corrupt/incomplete AVI files.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

You should also check the windows event logs. Hardware failures very likely will leave a trace there.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
You should also check the windows event logs. Hardware failures very likely will leave a trace there.
And the answer is:

Hardware failure.

Well done, Flavius . One of the tuners on the Hauppauge PVR 500 went bad. It took a frustrating day troubleshooting, but I'm back up and running. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had a similar issue after my server rebooted by itself while Sage was recording something and I was setting up a new tuner. After reboot it would just hang at the loading screen so I would have to ctrl-alt-delete and kill it and the service. After 3 or 4 times of that I rebooted again and it came right up like normal. It had me sweating for a bit.

Next time I'll have to check the .mpg's and see if something needs deleted that may be hanging it.