SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:35 AM

I have an Olevia with a built in tuner and i am getting pay channels

I am new to this forum and do not know much about it. Please explain to me how i am getting pay channels and HD channels with my Olevia TV. I am also getting over 200 channels with just audio, how can i get the video?

I currently have Comcast cable and i am located in Louisiana. if that helps
Old 03-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker34 View Post
I am new to this forum and do not know much about it. Please explain to me how i am getting pay channels and HD channels with my Olevia TV. I am also getting over 200 channels with just audio, how can i get the video?

The Olevia has a built in QAM tuner, there are 2 types of clear QAM 64, and 256. QAM64 usually carries audio or music channels, and the QAM256 usually carries Standard Digital, or HD video. Depending on the compression used by the cable company determine how good the Standard Digital and HD video is. Some Cable companies and Sat Companies like to cram all of the channels in which results in poorer then normal PQ.
The fact that you are able to get that many channels, and 200 audio is amazing! I currently get all of my local stations in Standard Digital and HD, in total I get 11 Stations 5 HD, and 6 Standard Digital. As far as the audio only I get about 12 of those. It isn't uncommon every once in a while to grab a PPV station by mistake, I don't really know why it happens but it does. As far as HBO Showtime and all that it depends really on your cable provider and what they decide to deliver on Clear(unencrypted) QAM

Hope this clears things up for you!

Armyb77

Last edited by ARMYB77; 03-18-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks, but is there some sort of filter or amp that i can get to increase the signal and get the video?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Sage User

Short answer no,
This is possible with OTA Tuners but not QAM, You may be able to pick up a couple of more depending on the quality of your cable line coming in (Quad sheilding and such) but you have what you have, Digital does not use filters as such, the signal you get is it. If you are only getting audio on channels that should be video and audio it may be encrypted QAM. Digital is all Highs and Lows or 0s and 1s, there really isn't a filter for it, it's not like the old analog days when you could remove your filter and get HBO.

Sorry, as time gets closer to 2009 you should see the amount of channels go up, It will not be a requirement for cable companies to do so, but with the demise of Analog tuners it will become increasingly common.

Enjoy what you do have you seem to have a lot more then what others do.

Cheers,
Armyb77
Old 03-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the insight! Yeah, i almost dont want to turn the TV off in fear of losing the channels. I dont subscribe to digital TV, i only have basic cable. I have like 9 HBO's and like 5 HD channels, but i dont get NBC or FOX HD.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Basically, since you have active internet, the line is live for cable, can't have one without the other. So basic cable is active in order to allow you to get internet, you just aren't charged for it.

Weather you use it or not is really a choice of morals.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like you're cable company isn't encrypting their premium channels, or maybe it's one of those "trial" things they do from time to time.

Oh, and FWIW, and amp won't help get video on the channels with just audio. If you're getting audio, that shows that you're fully recieving the stream (digital channels are an all or nothing kind of thing).
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker34 View Post

Hi,
I have a similar situation with my Vizio LCD with Qam tuner---I receive premium channels just from the coax (I only have Basic service). I get Movie Channel, Starz, and Showtime . HOWEVER, fly in the ointment: the EPG is 3 hours off for TMC and SHO for some odd reason which makes it kinda useless for PVR functions. All other EPG info is correct except for these 2 channels . I tried recording the show listed 3 hrs ahead to get the show I want but that doesn't work well, missing part of the show.
I guess I could try a different EPG source, XMLTV (?) or whatever it is called.

Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like they're feeding you the Pacific channels and you're in Eastern time.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Sounds like they're feeding you the Pacific channels and you're in Eastern time.
If his location is correct, he's on Pacific time. It may be the other way around in that case.
Wheelrandolph has inspired me to get a HDHomerun and give mine a try. What provider are you on?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, if the actual channels are 3 hrs ahead, that would make them eastern time vs pacific
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic View Post
If his location is correct, he's on Pacific time. It may be the other way around in that case.
Wheelrandolph has inspired me to get a HDHomerun and give mine a try. What provider are you on?
I am on a small local provider for our community (Western Broadband). My friend has Cox Cable and does not get all these channels.

I am in Phoenix and use Pacific feeds---so it is weird that these 2 channels come in on Eastern feeds. I can't beleive that I am actually doing "Timed Recordings" again---just like the old VCR days.

Randy

Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph View Post
I am on a small local provider for our community (Western Broadband). My friend has Cox Cable and does not get all these channels.
Curses! Foiled again.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Sage Expert

I know with Comcast if you just order a DVR box you actually then get more channels then what you are paying for. Such as my roommate just ordered the DVR box but because of that we also get the HDTV channels and some others. We don't pay the extra amount for them because with the DVR service they automatically have to give you all the other channels and as long as you don't tell them you want HDTV they can't charge you for it.

As far as jus getting audio but no video, Comcast does this too. If you are setup to receive the channel they will block out the video but you will still receive audio. So this might be what your cable company is doing.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph View Post

I am in Phoenix and use Pacific feeds---so it is weird that these 2 channels come in on Eastern feeds. I can't beleive that I am actually doing "Timed Recordings" again---just like the old VCR days.

Randy
You could set up these channels on their own guide using an east coast location to correct the guide data.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
You could set up these channels on their own guide using an east coast location to correct the guide data.
Hi Briands,
I was thinking of doing something like that but I am not quite sure how to do it. I guess I would add another source with the same tuner and put in a different zip code(??). I'll give that a try. I have family in NJ so I'll put in their zip and see if works.

Randy

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Sage Expert

Ah timed recordings. That's about the only way I'll ever record so I don't miss anything.

But I think a lot of cable companies have gone to 1 channel for all time zones. I know in my area with Comcast about any channel I watch that aren't locals are all eastern and have been for years now. I was shocked because I came from DirecTV and loved having eveything Eastern. With DirecTioo I could get the show 3 hours earlier so I didn't care if it started recoding 3 hours earlier. But I was bumped when I had to go to Comcast but felt bettre knowing almost all the channels I watch are Eastern now.