SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Sage User

Cable signal resets computer...

Heres an odd one for ya,
While running SageTV with a PVR-350, the computer will reset every time you change channels. This happens ONLY if the CATV line is plugged in. If not CATV line is hooked up, you can change channels from static to static all day with no reset.

I initially thought it may be a ground issue, but after some trials I found that it is the center conductor of the cable that is causing it to reset. The shield alone does not cause a problem, only the center conductor.

I have tried it in three different rooms, and each room's CATV line give the same reseting result.

You can watch TV just fine as long as you don't try to change the channels!

Any ideas or suggestions? My only guess is that the card (PVR-350) is bad.

Thanks much
Old 03-17-2007, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Just guessing here, but do you have some sort of DC power supply on the coax for powering an outdoor signal amp or something along those lines? Could be the card doesn't like that, and needs to have a filter inserted between it and the coax.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Sage User

Hey,
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any amplifier on the line on my end, so unless the cable company does on theirs....

Its for my father, who lives in a town somewhat far away from the bigger cities, so it is possible they have something to boost the signal which is killing it.

My next guess is to disconnect all other TV's and devices from the cable, and try hooking the DVR directly to the line coming in from the street and see if it still acts up. Very strange. I hate to get another card, because the picture coming off the 350 is awesome! (I have a DVR with a 150 and 500, using a video card with TV out, and the picture is terrible compared to my fathers box.)

Anyway, thanks again, and I welcome more input!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Make sure your cable is hooked up to a ground wire. Normally they install a box to ground the cable to the water pipe.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Sage User

It is grounded, and it is only doing it with the PVR-350 card. I have installed a PVR-500 as well, and it is working fine with it. Goofy. Oh well, at least he (my father) will have two channels to start with, and I'll keep investigating this as I have time. If I figure it out, I will respond again for those having similar problems in the future.

Thanks again for the ideas...