SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

It looks like there has been several Microsoft DST patches. I had reinstall the newest MS patch to get it to work. In order to install it a second time you have to uninstall it first. Use the add and remove program management app to uninstall it. Make sure you have the show patches box checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
I'm banging my head against the wall here... I have done everything I can possibly think of, and a few times by updating the system time back and forth, will get the Sage time to show up properly but it keeps on automatically resetting itself to be onehour ahead of where it is supposed to be.

- I have the proper windows patch (my system set itself properly on D-day)
- I already had the latest Java, but manually updated anyways
- I tried installing version 6 no change
- I used the tzupdater... no change.
- I uninstalled ALL java application and reinstalled the latest version

And STILL my time keeps setting itself 1 hour ahead... any ideas?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not trusting MS patches very much, I downloaded and used the TZEDIT program. this lets you edit the time zone directly, to determine the start and stop date for DST. also, on my sage box, i unchecked "synch with Microsoft time server." hope this helps you!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Mysticle31
Not meaning to steer the thread off course. I'm curious, why not trust MS patches? Is it because they sometimes don't work or are released too quickly? Is it an issue with the company itself? I don't understand why some people say things about Microsoft, and I'd like to.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Mysticle31: Please read your PMs from a few days ago and reply via PM, not here. See the top of the page for a link to read it.

Thank you.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticle31 View Post
Not meaning to steer the thread off course. I'm curious, why not trust MS patches? Is it because they sometimes don't work or are released too quickly? Is it an issue with the company itself? I don't understand why some people say things about Microsoft, and I'd like to.
just basic paranoia i guess. i like the TZEDIT program because I know exactly what it is doing.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter scott View Post
Not trusting MS patches very much, I downloaded and used the TZEDIT program. this lets you edit the time zone directly, to determine the start and stop date for DST. also, on my sage box, i unchecked "synch with Microsoft time server." hope this helps you!
If you don't trust MSFT patches you should just buy a Mac, because without the patches your machine is a risk to itself and other computers on the Internet.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
If you don't trust MSFT patches you should just buy a Mac, because without the patches your machine is a risk to itself and other computers on the Internet.
which has nothing to do with the topic at hand! the issue here is DST problems and how to solve them.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter scott View Post
which has nothing to do with the topic at hand! the issue here is DST problems and how to solve them.
That may be true, but the solution has nothing to do with needlessly sharing your FUD about MSFT patches.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That may be true, but the solution has nothing to do with needlessly sharing your FUD about MSFT patches.
I don't see any FUD, other than your own, not to mention buying a mac is pointless considering a mac can't run Sage MC.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth View Post
I don't see any FUD, other than your own, not to mention buying a mac is pointless considering a mac can't run Sage MC.
I think you failed to understand what I said. I wasn't seriously advocating buying a Mac, but just saying that if you're not going to run MSFT patches because you have some fear of them, you shouldn't run Windows. The other poster's fear of MFST patches is just spreading FUD. Letting such statements pass without comment is irresponsible because unpatched machines have caused lots of problems from time to time.

In any case, the Windows DST patch is a rather simple patch, and there's no reason not to install it.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think you failed to understand what I said. I wasn't seriously advocating buying a Mac, but just saying that if you're not going to run MSFT patches because you have some fear of them, you shouldn't run Windows. The other poster's fear of MFST patches is just spreading FUD. Letting such statements pass without comment is irresponsible because unpatched machines have caused lots of problems from time to time.

In any case, the Windows DST patch is a rather simple patch, and there's no reason not to install it.
Ok, perhaps so, this is getting offtopic, but if hes afraid of patches, buying a mac won't help. Don't tell me a mac never needed to patched. Besides, I ran XP for about a year, no patches, or virus scanner, it was never infected. Just SP2 and a firewall.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

I am not spreading anything and I NEVER said I did not install MS patches. I preferred to use the TZEDIT program instead. This is close to a personal attack and i would appreciate if you would drop the subject.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Since this isn't really going anywhere, I think it has gone far enough... the question about why TZEDIT was used has been answered & the rest of the side track doesn't help people solve any DST issues.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I still have no answer for why this is happening, and no solution for getting it fixed, nothing I have tried works. System time is set correctly, and has always been so, Sage time is not, and will not get set properly no matter what I have tried. (Do I need to move to the eastern time zone in order to get Sage to work correctly?)
Old 03-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

SageTV gets its time from Java and the OS; it isn't determing time from some clock of its own.

If your time is off, it is most likely due to the Java update or the Windows update. There have been a few posts from people saying they had to uninstall the Windows DST fix and reinstall it -- have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling any Windows DST fixes, as was mentioned above? If not, try that because several people have posted that they had to do that.

- Andy
Old 03-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
SageTV gets its time from Java and the OS; it isn't determing time from some clock of its own.

If your time is off, it is most likely due to the Java update or the Windows update. There have been a few posts from people saying they had to uninstall the Windows DST fix and reinstall it -- have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling any Windows DST fixes, as was mentioned above? If not, try that because several people have posted that they had to do that.

- Andy
I think there was more than one Windows DST update released, so maybe that's part of it. But I installed one of the early ones, and I didn't have a problem.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

sorry for all the complaining... but apparently the windows update wasn't installed properly or a second one was released as mentioned, which is weird because system time was displaying properly. I got that installed properly and all is well, thanks to everyone who helped