SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Remeber it's a command line utility. Don't use directories over 8 characters for InstSrv or SrvAny. I put both of those in a directory called "InSrv". Make sure to use regedt32 and not regedit when editing the registry or the new service will just start and stop.
You should be able to use the short 8.3 name if it is longer as well. I put mine in my SageTV directory just used c:\progra~1\sagetv as the path when used with WinXP. Hopefully that still works with WHS.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I do have the Administrator user setup as the user for all the services. (Sage, Comskip Monitor and HD Homerun)This way I know I won't have any issues trying to run with a limited account.

I gave a short try of running the SageTV client on the server. I think other users might be doing. I got an audio error 5 running it with remote desktop. Keep in mind it's a headless, keyless server. I have no speakers attached. It's an Intel board and has the Intel High definition audio and no DirectX was installed by me. It's working for me as designed-a Sage TV Media Server so I'm not going to go the extra lengths. Sorry.

For $100 get a MVP and it works great. As for the HD Homerun I just think you're better off and easier getting a router with ports for $50 or so. Follow the instructions from Microsoft to install HDHR as a service. Remeber it's a command line utility. Don't use directories over 8 characters for InstSrv or SrvAny. I put both of those in a directory called "InSrv". Make sure to use regedt32 and not regedit when editing the registry or the new service will just start and stop. Hopefully by this weekend I'll get a better writeup done.

Gerry
Thanks for trying Gerrry.

I'm similar to PGP, I have one MVP and a projector for the HD stuff. The server is used with the projector. I already have the HDHomerun setup on my gigabit switch at the main panel and was trying to clean up the wiring there by putting it next to the server.

The extra drive I ordered will be here today and I'll start the install Saturday. I'll report back here with my findings.

The nice thing for me is I have no recordings to bring over so it will be a fresh clean install.

Just wondering, what version of Java are you running?

Rick
Old 03-16-2007, 08:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Keep in mind with the setup/install of WHS it wants/has to format the drives. Make sure you have extra drives that you can either use for the install and leave your original server up so you can copy your existing recordings to the new installed drives or have a large external drive to copy your recordings to. I don't think there is a way around WHS having to format every drive you add to it.
Gerry
Thanks for that. I have been in a quandary on how I would like it to go. Sounds like MS made up my mind for me.

B
Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Have not yet done the install.

I did read on the WHS forum that drives can be added without assigning them to the "pool." As I dont have a spare machine at this time I am hoping to add the drives seperate from the pool and assign the same drive letters they had in the previous xp install. This should allow me to move the recordings onto the pool and then add the old recording drives to the pool.

Can anyone confirm a drive can be added, with a letter assignment, seperate from the pool?

TIA

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
You should be able to use the short 8.3 name if it is longer as well. I put mine in my SageTV directory just used c:\progra~1\sagetv as the path when used with WinXP. Hopefully that still works with WHS.
You are correct Bob. I just took the easy way out.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvogel322 View Post
Thanks for trying Gerrry.

I'm similar to PGP, I have one MVP and a projector for the HD stuff. The server is used with the projector. I already have the HDHomerun setup on my gigabit switch at the main panel and was trying to clean up the wiring there by putting it next to the server.

The extra drive I ordered will be here today and I'll start the install Saturday. I'll report back here with my findings.

The nice thing for me is I have no recordings to bring over so it will be a fresh clean install.

Just wondering, what version of Java are you running?

Rick
I'll put that in my post. Java 6. Fresh install should be straight forward. After WHS is up and running just go back and format the drive in 64k blocks.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

Have not yet done the install.

I did read on the WHS forum that drives can be added without assigning them to the "pool." As I dont have a spare machine at this time I am hoping to add the drives seperate from the pool and assign the same drive letters they had in the previous xp install. This should allow me to move the recordings onto the pool and then add the old recording drives to the pool.

Can anyone confirm a drive can be added, with a letter assignment, seperate from the pool?

TIA

Jesse
I'm pretty sure you can. But if you're doing that you may as just use W2k3 server. You're bypassing all of the WHS benefits (if you care). Once you do that if you try to access it using the WHS console or running the WHS connector on your PCs you could have issues. If all you're going to do is run it as a media server then you're probably OK.

Gerry

OK-I should probably try the multi-edit thing.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Thanks for the info Gerry.

I was not clear. After I move the files from the lettered "non-pool" drives to the pooled drives and sage recoginizes them I will remove and reinstall the lettered drives and allow them to join the pool.

Thanks again.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 03-16-2007, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK-I should probably try the multi-edit thing.
Nah, you'll mess up your post count
Old 03-17-2007, 06:39 AM
SageTVaholic

You can add drives individually after installation. I am copying data over to the pool now and will add the drive into the pool once migration is complete. Also, pay heed to Gerry's note about wanting to use biggest drive first. I like to have my OS on a particular drive. If you do too, unplug the power from the other drives until you are done installing the OS.

More later

B
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

So.. 2 things

1) If you format the drives for 64K, it will throw an error message about the drive being in use and are you sure you want to. I did, restarted and copied the files back which were missing. The two apps for backup and restore.

2) I have not finished yet moving data around before I try to add a drive in the pool. I am a little concerned that when I add a drive in if I format it, WHS may already using it for data replication.. So, I am backing up my data first.. Takes a while to move 200GB over FW.

I'll be back later with more.

B
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
Guys, why not run Linux (Ubuntn v6.10) and setup samba.
I've read several reviews that say that SMB's overhead for Windows clients is excessive and thus the throughput is not nearly what it is with a Windoze XP file share.

Your experience?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 AM
SageTVaholic

In the end, I took WHS off. File I/O seemed to be really slow for me. Maybe PATA disks? I was getting stuttering, etc., in my playback of even SD shows. I went back to 2k3 which is zipping right along.

B
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I finally got things installed yesterday afternoon. First install attempt was with only SATA drives and an nForce4 Asus board. The install wouldn't reboot from the SATA so I had to put a small 40G PATA and everything installed great.

The client is working just fine (HD with overlay, VMR has stutter).

My goal now is to get Sage to stay running. With XP pro and now WHS it will stop running sometime during the middle of the night. More searching to do.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Sage Icon

I was given a password for Windows Home Server beta. After reading about its platform basics, I quickly decided it was just silly.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Sage Icon

What are you eluding to?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Gerry,

Have you been able to get access to music and photos from the default WHS share on your PC Sage client?

Edit: Never mind. I forgot that I need to map the drive on the client to the same drive letter as the server. Here's how I resolved it:

Shared the root of the D (Data) drive on the server.
Remapped drive letters on the client to free up D.
Mapped D to the D drive on the server.

Works now...

Last edited by Grasshopper; 03-31-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Taking the leap today on WHS

Gerry your post has been a big help thanks for posting your experience.

It looks like I'm going to be doing a large amount of file copying, does anybody have recommendations for file copying software?

Matt
Old 04-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

xcopy will work just fine.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaron1234 View Post
Gerry your post has been a big help thanks for posting your experience.

It looks like I'm going to be doing a large amount of file copying, does anybody have recommendations for file copying software?

Matt
robocopy