SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Sage User

PVR150 and Roslyn card Vista drivers?

I've been running sage on XP with few problems and I'd like to upgrade my last XP box to Vista but the "upgrade adviser" says that the tuner cards aren't supported. I searched for vista drivers and read some threads that seem to indicate support for the 150 but I wanted to be sure. Are these cards now (or soon to be) obsolete?

Thanks...
Old 02-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Sage Icon

Hauppauge has a vista driver for the PVR150 at http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...rt_pvr150.html . I dunno about the Roslyn card though.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Sage User

Thanks, I guess I haven't checked for drivers in 5-6 weeks. :P Hopefully somebody else will have info on the Roslyn card, I bought it through sage, it'd be nice to have support for it too. I'd hate to go back to one tuner.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

good question. I was actually thinking about this the other day. I was one of the "lucky" ones who purchased the Rosyln card right before the 150 came out. maybe do the 150 drivers work with this card?
Juc
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 AM

far I know of the Rosyln, 350 and older 250 frist rez and PVR USB2 model 29xxx will not get any 64bit support your best beat is the WinTV-PVR 150/500, WinTV-HVR 1600, WinTV-PVR USB2 model 24xxx
Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Sage User

The 150 drivers wont work with the Roslyn card if XP drivers are any indication. The Roslyn card relies more on software, kind of like a win-modem, IIRC. The sage store still sells them. (why wont the forums let me make 2 paragraphs? there's supposed to be a break here.) Nobody mentioned 64bit but I agree that we'll not see 64bit support. I've been waiting for XP64 (until Vista was released) drivers for both of my cards for a long time. When I wrote to hauppauge, they sent me a copy and paste reply abut how they were working on it and to check the driver pages regularly. These lack of regular updates only makes me want to find better tuners but my existing cards still work, so far. 32bit Roslyn drivers will do.

Last edited by SME; 02-27-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Sage User

So, since there's been no reply from the sagetv people regarding the 32bit Vista Roslyn drivers, should I assume that the money that I spent on my Roslyn card was a waste or do they just not read their own forums? I thought these forums were more active. *shrug*
Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

These forums are user-to-user forums, not for official support from Sage. There are posts from the Sage guys when they have time, but if you need official info, you need to contact Sage directly. http://www.sagetv.com/request.html

edit:
Quote:
If you purchased a "Blackbird" bundle from our Online Store and need support, please contact us at support@sagetv.com. The Hauppauge Roslyn PVR card that ships with the "Blackbird" bundle is an OEM card and is not supported by Hauppauge's technical support team, it is supported by SageTV with regards to use with the Sage Software products.

As for a waste of money, it still works in XP. How long ago did you buy it? I might have missed it, but I don't see it in the Sage store. As you know, Sage can't do anything for drivers until Hauppauge releases them. It sounds like if you don't need to go to Vista on that box right now, then don't. There is no way that I am gonna upgrade my Sage server to Vista in the near future. I have 1 Business and 2 Ultimate licenses sitting here so it isn't the $$$ for VIsta, it is waiting for the long-term stability and driver support to materialize. My desktop is running Vista Ultimate, but that isn't needed to be 100% stable 24/7 like my Sage server.

Last edited by ke6guj; 02-28-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
These forums are user-to-user forums, not for official support from Sage. There are posts from the Sage guys when they have time, but if you need official info, you need to contact Sage directly. http://www.sagetv.com/request.html
So they don't read their own forum much then. I live semi-close to their offices, in Inglewood, I could just drive over, if that's the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
edit:

As for a waste of money, it still works in XP. How long ago did you buy it? I might have missed it, but I don't see it in the Sage store. As you know, Sage can't do anything for drivers until Hauppauge releases them. It sounds like if you don't need to go to Vista on that box right now, then don't. There is no way that I am gonna upgrade my Sage server to Vista in the near future. I have 1 Business and 2 Ultimate licenses sitting here so it isn't the $$$ for VIsta, it is waiting for the long-term stability and driver support to materialize. My desktop is running Vista Ultimate, but that isn't needed to be 100% stable 24/7 like my Sage server.
Yes, it still works in XP but, as I stated, I'd like to upgrade to Vista but the only thing holding me up (now that hauppauge released pvr150 Vista drivers) is SageTV releasing drivers for the Roslyn card. As you quoted, hauppauge doesn't support the Roslyn cards, SageTV does. If they're not supporting it, with current drivers, then is was a waste. This is exactly why I'll never buy another hauppauge card again and certainly nothing through the sage store if they're not going to provide something as simple as drivers for a card they sold. I bought it a long time ago, I don't remember when I bought it but the latest Roslyn drivers, that I have, are "88x_OEM_roslyn_2_99_22145_88x-98XP" which are dated 06-2004. Three year old drivers are not really what I call support and had I known this is how it would be, I never would have bought it from them. I waited for for XP64 drivers, with no results and now I'm waiting for Vista 32bit drivers. Technically, there should be 64bit drivers for both XP and Vista too but I have little faith in them now.

Last edited by SME; 02-28-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Sage User

Well, I got a reply from support...

"Hello, Have you actually tried them in Vista? They should work even if you get that error message. Try configuring them in Sage and see what happens." I was going to reply...
"why don't you just just release proper Vista drivers instead," but I'm now convinced that it wouldn't matter. Now I'm wishing I never bought what they sell.

EDIT: I changed my mind, my reply was, "No, I haven't tried the three year old 98/xp drivers. How about just releasing proper Vista drivers?"

Last edited by SME; 03-02-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Well, I got a reply from support... "Hello, Have you actually tried them in Vista? They should work even if you get that error message. Try configuring them in Sage and see what happens." I was going to reply... "why don't you just just release proper Vista drivers instead" but I'm now convinced that it wouldn't matter. Now I'm wishing I never bought what they sell.
Wow, I just don't understand why you are so upset. You bought this card a long time ago, so you got your usage out of it. It works in the expected environment it was sold for, XP. They didn't say that it was going to be supported in VIsta when you bought it? If you have noticed, Sage does not even list Vista in the system requirements yet. As for why the last driver is 3 years old, does it not work as expected in 32-bit XP? If it works in 32-bit XP, why do they need to release a newer 32-bit XP driver. 64-bit XP was sort of the ugly stepchild, it did not get a lot of driver support from anybody.

As for Sage supporting the card instead of Hauppauge, Hauppauge still has to write the driver, not Sage.

It's an older designed card that is no longer sold, or in production, IIRC, so expecting lifetime support for new drivers is a little much.

Hell, I have a Microsoft Office Keyboard that Microsoft discontinued a couple years ago, and Microsoft doesn't even support it in Vista. Can you believe that, Microsoft not releasing a Vista driver for a product they made.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage User

If they refuse to support Vista then I wasted my money. I don't care that they didn't claim to support Vista before Vista was even built. The card isn't "worn out" it just needs new drivers. I expect better support then being told to try 3 year old 98/xp drivers on Vista.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Have you tried the drivers? Why do you need new drivers if the old ones work? There is also a lot fo hardware out there that isn't "worn out" that has no Vista drivers. If your hardware doesn't support Vista, you either buy new hardware, or don't use Vista. Why you would upgrade a Sage server to Vista in the first place, im not sure.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
If they refuse to support Vista then I wasted my money. I don't care that they didn't claim to support Vista before Vista was even built. The card isn't "worn out" it just needs new drivers. I expect better support then being told to try 3 year old 98/xp drivers on Vista.
I think it's a little unrealistic to expect a product that has been out for 4+ years to have support for a new OS just released. Heck-Vista has broken MS own apps that either don't work with Vista or has a patch you need to install. And like support says try the drivers. If they work properly what do you care if they're 3 years old?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge released Vista drivers for the 150, etc, I don't think it's too much to ask for a driver that's not 3 years old and updated for the proper OS. If they want to stop supporting it then at least tell the people that payed for one, if not give us a driver. Either way, if I had known they weren't going to provide upgraded drivers for the product that they sold me and are responsible for, I never would have bought it. If I had bought 2 150s instead, I'd have proper drivers and I could have upgraded already. While some people may be having issues with Vista, I'm not, my other Vista boxes are very stable.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

You know Sage didn't manufacture the Roslyn card, Hauppauge did. The Sage store dosen't have these cards any more.

From the HTPCnews website:
Quote:
The Roslyn has known driver issues that were never fixed since it is discontiuned. It was often mistaken for a genuine PVR-250MCE on eBay. To make things really confusing for a time SnapStream marketed the card as a "PVR-250BTV" in their webstore. To get the last life out of the Roslyn in late 2005 Hauppauge and Fry's Electronics struck a deal to sell off the remaining stock in retail boxes deceptively labeled "PVR-160".
Vendors such as ASUS, AVerMedia, Leadtek, Prolink, and many more adopted this design. Even Hauppauge breifly made an OEM only TV card based on the Blackbird design called "Roslyn"

This was made for MCE 2004. The design and manufacture of it lasted barely a year and a half. They stopped making it in late 2005. I'm pretty sure you'll never see Vista drivers for it. If anyone is going to release Vista drivers for it, that would be Hauppauge.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Sage User

Yes, I know Sage didn't make the Roslyn cards but they are responsible for providing drivers, not Hauppauge. As already quoted:
Quote:
If you purchased a "Blackbird" bundle from our Online Store and need support, please contact us at support@sagetv.com. The Hauppauge Roslyn PVR card that ships with the "Blackbird" bundle is an OEM card and is not supported by Hauppauge's technical support team, it is supported by SageTV with regards to use with the Sage Software products.
Nice try though.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
Yes, I know Sage didn't make the Roslyn cards but they are responsible for providing drivers, not Hauppauge.
In your view, how long must a company support a product that is no longer sold, and works as delivered with the drivers available for the OS designed for?

Are you gonna be demanding Windows "Vienna" drivers for you PVR-150 in a couple years as well? Expecially if Hauppauge is no longer selling them due to the upcoming FCC requirement for all TV tuners to have digital capture capabilities?

Last edited by ke6guj; 03-03-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
Hauppauge released Vista drivers for the 150, etc, I don't think it's too much to ask for a driver that's not 3 years old and updated for the proper OS.
Hauppauge still sells the 150s so it would make sense that they would release drivers for the card. Your card is no longer sold. Pretty clear difference IMO.

Quote:
....if I had known they weren't going to provide upgraded drivers for the product that they sold me and are responsible for, I never would have bought it. If I had bought 2 150s instead, I'd have proper drivers and I could have upgraded already.
Hindsight is always 20/20. I've had fax modems, printers, scanners, game pads, etc... that never got XP drivers. I was disappointed, but at the same time I realize companies aren't going to continue releasing drivers for products they no longer sell.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I am with everyone else, what are you expecting SME? I know that Sage supported the card, but the drivers still come from Hauppauge. Its like all our video cards, sure Gigabyte made my video card, but drivers are still Nvidia's responsibility (yes Gigabyte releases their own but it is based on Nvidia's code). I mean sure it stinks, but one of my favorite games of all time was Warcraft II. I never saw blizzard officially make a patch to run in Windows XP. Or even better, going way back I had this great game, it was like a Sim City but on the moon (Lunar Lander?) and it never worked on anything after Windows 95. Where is the Windows Vista support for that? Dude stuff happens. It sucks, but it could be a lot worse. Starving kids in africa? Female babies being killed at birth/aborted in China due to reproduction limitations? Holy wars in the middle east? Tsunamis? Hurricanes? Earthquakes?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Closed Thread