SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Sage User

HD Homerun setup question

Board,

I just received my hd homerun today. Very excited and ready to give it a try. Would like to ask about how to set it up.

My set up is going to be
Dell (refurbed)
C2D E6300 with 7300LE Geforce card, 1 gb ram, 320 gig harddrive
I will be connecting it to my work computer via cable (no need for router, or so I think), my dsl will be available thru the work computer and hope to tell sage to update via the ethernet connection
I will be using the HD Homerun for local channels only

Now, I am clueless when is comes to networking. I want to ask how to set up the hd homerun, ie what is connected to what? I see there are two tuners for the hd homerun, is one for OTA HD and the other I connect to my Directv?

Again, board, thanks for you willingness to help the "blind"
Rusty
Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Rusty,

Go to the Silicondust website (www.silicondust.com) and look under the "support" tab. It has all the downloads you need and very good instructions.

To summarize:
- You install the software on your server.
- You enable the HDHR using the installed software.
- You do a channel scan using the installed software.
- You remap the channels using Sage.

The instructions SiliconDust provide are straight forward.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage User

Tom, in a effort not to appear completely stupid (although I do feel completely stupid right now), I must ask what to do if I do not have a server. Again, I am clueless when it comes to networking. I will have one computer which will be for work, the larger harddrive cpu will be for sagetv. So, do I need to buy a router and connect the two computers (work one being the server) and install that way?

Thanks
Rusty
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Sage Icon

The server that Tom mentions is your main Sage computer. Install your software on it. Your work compute should not need to be involved in your Sage setup unless you want to set it up as a client.

I'd definitely recommend buying a router to hook everything up. Plug both computers and the HDHomerun into the LAN side of the router, and have your DSL modem on the WAN side. Run the router wizard and you are done with the router setup. Way easier than dual-homing your work computer with 2 NICs, and probably having to dual-home your Sage box as well to get the HDHR connected to it. Then having to do Internet COnnection Sharing on both computers to get everything setup. Way too much work when you can have a router do it for you, that is what it is designed for.

The two tuners on the HDHR are for you to record 2 digital OTA or QAM channels, not for your directv input.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Sage Expert

If you're not using a router, you need to use a program like this:

http://www.magikinfo.com/dhcp.htm

to handle the dhcp stuff.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Sage User

Jack,

I will buy a router tomorrow. Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking I was going to need another computer. I appreciate all those that have contributed to my education. Believe me, once I get this running, I will see you all in a couple years ; )

Rusty
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Sage Icon

Windows internet connection sharing works fine for me, dhcp built in.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

ICS has it uses, but I don't think this specific setup is that. If it was just the Sage computer that needed a connection to the work computer, it would be doable with just one extra NIC.

But with the HDHomerun added to mix, it needs an ethernet connection as well. That means either adding a hub/switch to the mix, or another NIC card for the HDHomerun. At that point, you would have either bought 2 NIC cards, or 1 NIC and 1 hub/switch. Why not get a router for around the same price and minimze setup hassles?

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
ICS has it uses, but I don't think this specific setup is that. If it was just the Sage computer that needed a connection to the work computer, it would be doable with just one extra NIC.

But with the HDHomerun added to mix, it needs an ethernet connection as well. That means either adding a hub/switch to the mix, or another NIC card for the HDHomerun. At that point, you would have either bought 2 NIC cards, or 1 NIC and 1 hub/switch. Why not get a router for around the same price and minimze setup hassles?
I'm not sure I disagree with you, but I think you might be overlooking the possibility of a USB based network adaptor.