SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Question What do I need to buy?

Hi,
I'm thinking of converting to SageTV (Linux vers) from MythTV.
Got a couple of question though before I take the plunge and shell out the money (a trial version would be really nice, I understand doing a trial with a bundled distro may be a bit difficult, but fwiw I'd be installing on SUSE
What exactly do I need to buy? I have one Hauppage MediaMVP and I may buy more in the future, do I need to buy licenses for these? I may also add a pc as a client, would I need a Placeshifter license for that?
Also what would the purchase entitle me to in the way of future upgrades/updates? Would I get all updates free upto vers 7 or something?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.d
What exactly do I need to buy? I have one Hauppage MediaMVP and I may buy more in the future, do I need to buy licenses for these? I may also add a pc as a client, would I need a Placeshifter license for that?
To run legally per the end user license agreement, the use of an extender or Placeshifter client requires ownership of the appropriate license. Extender & Placeshifter licenses are the same & can be used for that number of simultaneous connections. (i.e.: own 1 license, can connect 1 remote client at a time; 2 licenses, 2 remote clients at the same time; etc.)

Quote:
Also what would the purchase entitle me to in the way of future upgrades/updates? Would I get all updates free upto vers 7 or something?
Currently, minor upgrades (within v6) are free. There has been no announcement regarding v7 so far.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, this is an old post but it goes right along with my question so I figured why start a new thread?

If you buy the $79 version of Sage for Linux, what exactly does that give you? I know that with the Windows version you can run a PC as a server and watch shows from it. Is it the same way with Linux? Can I install Sage on a Linux Distro and _also_ watch the recordings from it or do I also have to buy Placeshifter?

Does anyone know why Sage is being so ridged with the Linux version as far as not offering an upgrade path from a Windows to Linux version? It seems like sales would increase for the Linux version if they were to relax a bit more about it. In other posts that have asked these sort of questions, Sage reps have been quiet and not commented on why. The most I saw was that the licenses doesn't allow for transferring from a windows to Linux license.

Well, that doesn't explain why a discounted version isn't available for folks who've purchased a windows version...it all just seems anti-customer to me. Which surprises me, as Sage has always come across (with the windows versions) as very customer oriented.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Can a SageTV Linux installation be used as a client?

A: Yes, by using the Linux placeshifter client.

Download:
SageTV Placeshifter for Linux Gzip'd TAR
http://download.sage.tv/linuxweb/miniclient.tar.gz

The included readme file has details.
Quote:
Q: Can I buy the Linux version of SageTV? It says it is an "OEM version", so does that mean only system manufacturers can buy it?

A: Anyone can purchase the Linux version; it is not just for manufacturers.

It is called an OEM version since it is designed as an installation for system manufacturers and does not come with end-user technical support. However, being 'OEM' does not mean that end-users are not allowed to purchase it. End users can buy individual licenses to use SageTV Linux on systems that they build for themselves, but support is limited to the online forum. Paid support is available by contacting SageTV at oem@sagetv.com.
It gives you Sage for Linux and a Placeshifter.

Originally it wasn't available to end users. It user to be strictly OEM only. They're probably not trying to promote this to end users because of the complexities and requirements of Linux. That's why there is only forum support for this version to the end user.

I don't speak for Sage-just my humble opinion.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 03-29-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Sage User

I converted from the Linux to the Windows version. I prefer linux but the Windows version is a lot easier. No fault to sage.

Best advice;

Before you purchase the linux version, ensure that the drivers to power your capture card are supported. Also, ensure the likelyhood of future cards will be supported.

Hauppauge capture cards look like there will be issues to come.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlow View Post
If you buy the $79 version of Sage for Linux, what exactly does that give you? I know that with the Windows version you can run a PC as a server and watch shows from it. Is it the same way with Linux? Can I install Sage on a Linux Distro and _also_ watch the recordings from it or do I also have to buy Placeshifter?
You can watch the recordings via the miniclient (a separate download).

I recently switched from MythTV to SageTV in order to use the HD100 extender. The extender rocks, but the linux client seemed quite unstable for the 2 days I used it (I used the Linux client to setup the SageTV the weekend before the extender arrived via UPS). The Linux client was always exiting randomly during the setup. HD playback was a bit better than MythTV on my obsolete hardware. They were smart, and use their own version of mplayer to play video on Linux (and MacOSX). However, the OSD was unusable (probably due to my ancient 3GHz P4 / NV5200 AGP).

Quote:
Does anyone know why Sage is being so ridged with the Linux version as far as not offering an upgrade path from a Windows to Linux version? It seems
If your capture cards are network based (like HD Homerun), it should be possible to run SageTV in windows under vmware (or some other VM). I've never tried it..

The thing that irked me was the lack of a trial version. A great burning desire for the HD100 made me take a leap of faith, and I'm glad I did overall.

Drew