SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Sage Expert

New Feature: Define Archive to specific directory

Instead of just flagging shows, how about a feature that allows me to specify the archive drive as say J:/Archive?

When the archive flag is set, the show is moved to this drive. Now, I can back just this directory up or better yet, compress the archive folder only.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I see great merit in this. Fantastic idea.

Having either dirmon compress them or do specific options on this "archive drive" could be quite useful.

What do you suggest would be a good idea for "unarchiving". Could be a bit tricky especially after transcoding and such.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I have to agree. One of the reasons I don't archive is it doesn't save me anything. Something I want to keep even for a little while I burn so I can free up more space.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Definitely a good idea. It is a pain to manually move the archived shows to a separate drive.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
I see great merit in this. Fantastic idea.

Having either dirmon compress them or do specific options on this "archive drive" could be quite useful.

What do you suggest would be a good idea for "unarchiving". Could be a bit tricky especially after transcoding and such.
The compressing and archiving could be two distinct operations. Unarchiving could just be setting the unarchiving flag, queuing up the file, then, when space allows, moving it out of the archiving directory.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

great

I love the idea of having all the archived shows moved to a specific drive. Ive often thought it would make backups so much easier.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Think this would have to be a core sage addition or something that could be quickly added as an import or MC addition?

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
Think this would have to be a core sage addition or something that could be quickly added as an import or MC addition?
It would seem to me that if a Sage library call existed that would allow one to specify a different path, then an import can be created to do a simple file copy then delete.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Sage User

I agree. This would definetely be a nice feature to have.

If people still use the "Send to -> Archive", you could just add a option to "Send to -> Permanent Archive" or so...
Then you could run your own compression script on these files.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
Instead of just flagging shows, how about a feature that allows me to specify the archive drive as say J:/Archive?

When the archive flag is set, the show is moved to this drive. Now, I can back just this directory up or better yet, compress the archive folder only.
Can't you do this already with the inbuilt compression?

You can specify a target directory and whether you want the original to be deleted.

And it can be automated using the Auto Compress import

John
Old 02-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi
Can't you do this already with the inbuilt compression?

You can specify a target directory and whether you want the original to be deleted.

And it can be automated using the Auto Compress import

John
No. Archiving just sets a flag. What I propose is more elaborate. Archiving should move the file to a specified location. Compressing is optional and not always desirable. This should occur when the archive flag is set.