SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Expert

Moving recordings to new HD with different drive letters.

I currently have 5 harddrives with letters basically d,e,i,j, and k. I have just purchased two 500g drives from Frys.

I wish to split the recordings across the two new drives, d and e respectively. I checked the FAQ, but I wasn't quite sure of the questions asked.

I wish to move shows on the i,j, and k. drives to say the D: and E: drives.

Can Sage do this?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not an expert, hopefully somebody that knows a lot more than I will be along. However, from my experience, make sure Sage is not running at all, turn off the service, etc. and you will be okay ... if you don't change the drive letters. Once you change the drive letters, Sage will import the videos fine, but you will lose all of the recording information. You can "band-aid" this I think by using .my and plug-ins to retain the recording information, but if it were me, I would keep the old drive letters.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

The very first Q&A of this FAQ (after all the warnings) pretty much covers your changes. BTW: warning 4 includes a property you might want to use while doing this before v6.1 comes out.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
The very first Q&A of this FAQ (after all the warnings) pretty much covers your changes. BTW: warning 4 includes a property you might want to use while doing this before v6.1 comes out.

- Andy
I read this, but I wanted to be sure. By following these directions(and having a bit of good luck), I can move shows from say J: and K: to a single large D: drive?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
I read this, but I wanted to be sure. By following these directions(and having a bit of good luck), I can move shows from say J: and K: to a single large D: drive?
If you have a recording dir defined for drive D, then sure.

I always recommend backing up your properties & wiz.bin files first, though. Nothing in life is certain. Eat dessert first... or something like that.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I followed all the instructions in the FAQ to move my recordings to a new HD. I actually attempted it twice after backing up my sage properties and wiz.bin files. I have successfully moved all the recordings and removed the old recording directories. The recordings play fine in their new location. But I'm having a problem deleting recordings now. If I select delete recording, Sage hangs with a sage spinning circle on the screen, never to return.

I actually first noticed a problem after I removed the old recording directories. If I go to Setup->Help->System Information it shows only a small amount of video storage space being used (ie, only some 10 gigs, when I'm actually using over 300). It seems Sage has moved the recordings sucessfully for playback but has lost track of them in some other way. It no longer counts them as part of the recording library disk space and can't delete them.

Any thoughts on this? I still have the back'd up sage properties and wiz.bin and could try this again but I've already done it twice and got the same result. Any way to rebuild the wiz.bin? I'm starting to think I should just trash the wiz.bin and start from scratch but I'd really rather avoid that.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Double check that there is full permission allowed to read/write using the new paths. If using service mode, the user the service logs in as must have those permissions.

You could also try enabling debug logging and then contact SageTV with the logs to see if they can tell what might be happening.

- Andy