SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sort order for photo slideshow

Currently, you have the option of sorting by name or by date. However, I don't see anyway to change the ascending or descending type.

I would like to show my newest photos first so that way the wife can see them without having to fumble through directories.

So, how can I change the sort by date order to descending?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

There is no option for this in the STV, but you could edit it in Studio if you want.

There are several places where the photo_lib/sort_style property is checked, then Sort() or SortLexical() is called. You should be able to change "false" in the call to "true" in order to change the sort direction.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Seems like this would be a basic thing built into Sage doesn't it? Sort up, or sort down. Woo hoo. Would take a Sage programmer what, 2 minutes to do? Is it fair to say Sage's strengths are on the TV portion, not the multimedia portion?

Don't think as a user I want to delve into Studio and such. I just want to use it ya know and my wife would like to just be able to push a button and see the latest photos (which is the sort by date). She doesn't want to keep seeing the oldest pictures from 1999 when we first started using a digital camera. We want to see the latest ones we added to the library. Wouldn't most people ?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

You could check out SageMC. It has a great and growing feature set. I know you can change sorting for most of your media via context sensitive options menus, though I'm not sure about photos. The best thing is that it is under active development. So if you have a reasonable feature request, odds are it will get implemented in the next release (Releases seem to be coming out about monthly at this time)

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli
Seems like this would be a basic thing built into Sage doesn't it? Sort up, or sort down. Woo hoo. Would take a Sage programmer what, 2 minutes to do? Is it fair to say Sage's strengths are on the TV portion, not the multimedia portion?

Don't think as a user I want to delve into Studio and such. I just want to use it ya know and my wife would like to just be able to push a button and see the latest photos (which is the sort by date). She doesn't want to keep seeing the oldest pictures from 1999 when we first started using a digital camera. We want to see the latest ones we added to the library. Wouldn't most people ?
I answered your question about the current capabities and provided a way to change that, if you felt like doing so.

But, here's the thing I don't understand... what makes you think sarcasm helps? What is it with the attitude from several people lately where they think that sarcasm and obscenity-laced griping help get things modified to their satisfaction?

SageTV has a set of priorities for features to be worked on. Sometimes those priorities match up with other people here; sometimes they don't. Then there are 'simple' tweaks that haven't made it into the UI.. that doesn't mean they aren't important; it may just mean there wasn't time to add it the first time around.

There is a long list of features to be added. When considering which non-critical one to add next, what makes anyone think that sarcastic griping or swearing about it (not in this thread, but elsewhere) makes anyone at SageTV put a '+1' in that feature's column so it gets done sooner?

When talking to the other forum members about the customizations they have developed, does anyone think that being rude to them helps goad them into action to modify their customization? I don't really see much, if any, rudeness directed towards the customizations developers, probably because everyone realizes that irritating them won't get them to help you. So why do people feel that a rude attitude will help when dealing with the people at SageTV?

There are people around here who regularly send in requests & do so in a decent manner and tone of voice. It is interesting how their requests tend to get implemented more often. And, they recognize that certain features may not fit with the UI that SageTV wants to provide and support w/o resorting to posting attacks when their request isn't added.

Does that mean you have to love everything SageTV does and kiss-up to the developers? No, but it does mean you should treat them with respect, as you would like to be treated in return.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry if my reply came off sarcastic. Guess it is out of frustration but you are right, it is unnecessary. My frustration is being unable to find something that does all the basic stuff I want. You have probably seen my posts in other threads. So far Sage is by far the best product compared to say Media Portal, Beyond, and Meedio (which was great but since being bought by Yahoo, is in limbo).

My experience so far is Sage looks like it will do all I want, out of the box. Unfortunately I have had tons of problems with lock ups, stuttering, can't use SageTV decoder since it causes 100% cpu and is supposed to make FF/REW smoother, audio problems (AC3), VMR9 issues (and that is after trying an ATI and 2 nVidia cards with NO affect), etc. Then I came here and started reading about lots of others having similar problems with version 6 and when they upgraded to version 6, etc. Then I read people talking about cablecard support and other new stuff. Now I have things working more or less, I come to find out I can't view my pictures by most recent first. That just sort of seems strange to me and really, this is more of a philosophical thing, makes me wonder if the roadmap to Sage bringing in the latest and greatest while forgetting the simpler things, like viewing pictures by most recent may be a bit off? I understand the need to always have new stuff to stay level or ahead of the competition, but at the same time, it is easy for dev teams to forget the smaller details that really make people go WOW. Have seen it in plenty of other IT projects. Hopefully, all my descriptions of my problems and experiences with Sage so far (just bought it a month ago) will help the developers in tuning the product for the future. As you probably well know, for each one of us that take the time to comment (yes and complain ?) here, there are probably hundreds or thousands that do not. I'll tone down the sarcasm but was just a bit shocked that something so simple was overlooked. If it was version 1, then I could understand but this is up to version 6 so would think all those "simple" things would be done by now. Don't you agree?

Ok, back to the question at hand, what is SageMC ? It's not an official enhancement from Sage right? And it appears to be a replacement for the Sage shell (STV) and not something you import. If that is true, then I am a bit reluctant to use it due to worries about problems it could potentially have and what I would do if it did.

Maybe now that I have the system working more or less, I can do an Image copy of the drive then try this SageMC thing so if something goes wrong I can revert it back.