SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-27-2007, 12:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

sage v slow to start

I have just rebuilt/moved to a new HTPC.

I installed sage 6.latest, and copied my wiz.bin and properties files over from the old install.

When I finally got it working last night, I set up the service (as an account, not local user) and went to start sage. It took 20 mins, the service spent that whole time 'starting'.

This was similar IIRC to when I first upgraded to Sage 6, so I thought that had something to do with it. I restarted sage many times since then and it has been a normal wait for it to come up.

I just rebooted, and tried again. I've been waiting for 20 minutes now and it still hasn't started again.

Did I do something wrong, and what can I do to speed this up?

Okay it just loaded, and took 23+ minutes to do so...

EDIT: It is running very slowly (many seconds to scroll up one menu item). I recently installed Dirmon2 and SA - related?

Last edited by JonTom; 01-27-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTom
I have just rebuilt/moved to a new HTPC.

I installed sage 6.latest, and copied my wiz.bin and properties files over from the old install.

When I finally got it working last night, I set up the service (as an account, not local user) and went to start sage. It took 20 mins, the service spent that whole time 'starting'.

This was similar IIRC to when I first upgraded to Sage 6, so I thought that had something to do with it. I restarted sage many times since then and it has been a normal wait for it to come up.

I just rebooted, and tried again. I've been waiting for 20 minutes now and it still hasn't started again.

Did I do something wrong, and what can I do to speed this up?

Okay it just loaded, and took 23+ minutes to do so...

EDIT: It is running very slowly (many seconds to scroll up one menu item). I recently installed Dirmon2 and SA - related?
It may take a while for sage 6 to convert your version 5 wiz.bin file. Give it time. Wait. After it looks like it is done (could be minutes or hours) reboot and all should be well. SA could be using up all of your CPU so check in task manager to see what is using it up.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I realize that the conversion from v5 to v6 can take a while. But both the copied wiz.bin on the first boot of the new HTPC and yesterdays have been v6 since v6 was in early beta. There should have been no conversion necessary either time (although I was willing to wait it out once).

What else can cause the service to take 20 minutes to start?

SA was using too much CPU I think, once I turned it off Sage sped up considerably to 'normal'. SA didn't do that before though. I may have to try and revert to whatever version of SA & DirMon(1) I was using before...
Old 01-27-2007, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I realize that the conversion from v5 to v6 can take a while. But both the copied wiz.bin on the first boot of the new HTPC and yesterdays have been v6 since v6 was in early beta.
But with your symptoms and a reference to an "old install" and "moving to a new pc" it sounded like an upgrade. It's pretty obvious now that SA is taking all the CPU. Look in task manager and you'll know for sure.

Quote:
SA was using too much CPU I think, once I turned it off Sage sped up considerably to 'normal'. SA didn't do that before though. I may have to try and revert to whatever version of SA & DirMon(1) I was using before...
In SA options you can set it to not use more than X% of CPU.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 01-27-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
In SA options you can set it to not use more than X% of CPU.

Gerry
Yeah, I'm playing with that right now.

I never had to throttle SA before using the old version. Now with a newer, faster CPU, I find it strange that I need to (although perhaps the new version doesn't play as nice with the rest of the system). Seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of being able to run 2 instances of SA if they have to run substantially slower than one at a time used to.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of being able to run 2 instances of SA if they have to run substantially slower than one at a time used to.
A little off topic, but running multiple instances is especially handy if you're processing the shows as they record. It requires very little cpu power to do "live" commercial detection. It also requires less disk throughput to process the show over the course of an hour compared to blasting through it in a couple of minutes once it's finished recording.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think I have found the problem. I had 'mpg' as a trigger, and as a target. Once I took it out of the trigger field, DirMon2 has stopped going into a loop shortly after it starts processing and seems to work well now (8 files in, fingers crossed).
Old 01-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

okay I've fixed my SA/DirMon problems.

However, the service is still taking 20+ minutes to start every time I reboot. What could be causing this?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
okay I've fixed my SA/DirMon problems.

However, the service is still taking 20+ minutes to start every time I reboot. What could be causing this?
Could be a bad or corrupt file. Could be video, music or photo. You could try removing one of those directories from setup at a time and start up Sage to see if the delay goes away. You may be able to narrow it down to the type of file and go from there. And you have checked during this time with task manager and it's all Sagetv.exe that is causing this and not transcoder.exe?

Gerry
Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, roughly split 50/50 between sagetv.exe and sagetvservice.exe.

I'll try removing the directories and see if that makes a difference.

thanks,
Old 01-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Also, the delay only happens the first time I try and start the service after rebooting.

I can stop and restart the service quickly after that.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah, roughly split 50/50 between sagetv.exe and sagetvservice.exe.

I'll try removing the directories and see if that makes a difference.

thanks,
Okay, I removed all the directories (recording and import) and sage service started immediately. It set up a recording directory on the C drive (default location, no files are normally recorded to the c drive).

I added the E: drive, service took 23 minutes. I removed it and added the V: drive, service took 23 minutes.

WTF?

And there is nothing different about the E & V drives, they are separate HDs that were just removed from the old MB and plugged into the new one. All the files (except the few that were recorded by the 'new' HTPC) were there, as is, on the old HTPC.

Ideas?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Could be a bad or corrupt file. Could be video, music or photo. You could try removing one of those directories from setup at a time and start up Sage to see if the delay goes away. You may be able to narrow it down to the type of file and go from there. And you have checked during this time with task manager and it's all Sagetv.exe that is causing this and not transcoder.exe?

Gerry
Used the debug log today (why didn't I think of that earlier???) and found 2 files that were indeed, and I quote the logfile, "ain't right". Hahaha.

Deleted and now the service seems to start up fast again. I noticed several other files (same 2 tv shows, different episodes interestingly) yesterday get moved to Imported Videos from watched TV; this seems to be what the service was spending so much time doing today. Hopefully upcoming reboots won't expose more bad files.