SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge PVR 150 w/blaster, SA-Explorer 2000

Hello, I would like to try SageTV. Can I do the following in SageTV?:

I want to record, rewind, fast forward, skip commercials and burn dvds of my recordings. I don't need an abundant amount of features. I just hope to do what I've done with my PVR box from my cable company (I can't keep my recordings). I'm using Rogers Digital cable.

My probable setup would be an AMD 64-bit computer with a Hauppauge 150 (model #1047) which comes with the built-in IR blaster. The video card is a FX 5200 (although, I would upgrade if I needed to).

I'm using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer (SA-Explorer) 2000 series (currently, 2000 but may be using another 2000 series later).

I wanted to try a Windows PVR system alongside a Mythtv system (i.e. I'll have two computer boxes and just switch back and forth to see which one I like). If I build a 2nd computer to try a Windows PVR setup, I will probably have a similar hardware configuration. That is the plan, anyway, unless someone has recommendations for hardware.

Is there any difference in having an AMD 64-bit or the Intel Core 2 Duo computer? I've usually owned AMD computers as they've been cheaper usually and in the past, had better Linux support so I could choose either OS.

Could anyone here give me info (and/or the related url links) on what is required to get my setup to work?

Is there any discussions that would help guide me considering my hardware?

I'm mostly concerned about obtaining the same lineup as the cable box and changing channels. In mythtv, this is a very complicated process that often requires writing scripts and knowing the codes. I am wondering what is involved (in comparison) when trying to change channels (and loading channel lineups) with a Windows PVR software package. If I use the Hauppauge 150 with the SA-Explorer 2000 set-top-box, is this a very demanding endeavor? I believe I need to obtain Hauppauge codes that correspond with the cable box. Where would I find assistance for this?

A major hurdle I'm expecting is getting a built-in IR blaster to work (or is it easier with an external serial IR blaster?). Is there any documentation or info here (in this forum) about setting up a Hauppauge PVR-150 w/ built-in IR blaster and the Sage software (so that you can change channels and use the remote fully)? Actually, this is a challenge with any PVR software, right?

Anyway, I can use either Windows 2000 or XP as I have both. I understand Linux is always an option for Sage, too, but I wanted to try it with Windows first.

I appreciate all replies and any advice to help guide me here. Links and/or info would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Just a few comments...

The 150's blaster is configured via the Hauppauge IR Blaster Config program. Once it is configured there, you keep the Hauppauge IR program running and SageTV should be able to use it as the tuning plugin when you configure the tuner. I can't say whether your STB is supported by that blaster, but maybe someone else knows. Alternatively, the USB-UIRT is very versatile, or perhaps serial or firewire channel changing might be an option.

SageTV should have EPG data for your location built in -- just enter your postal code during setup & it should present you with a list of local providers. You can configure this & use it during the trial period to see whether your listings are included.

In terms of features, you can download the SageTV PDF manual and check out the customizations section of this forum for user created add-ons.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

the only problem i have right now with my sage box is getting the hauppauge blaster to work with the rogers SA 3250HD box. it just doesnt work and while i was setting mine up i know the use the same code for all the SA boxes something like 0078 in the IRblaster config utility, but just doesnt work on mine but who knows, u might have better luck .even an email to hauppauge tech support didnt do anything for me.

so i have mine connected just analog straight from the wall to the pvr150 and just download the rogers extended basic service and u get all the channels u need for ur area.
but u can also add the digital channels as well but if ur irblaster doesnt change the channels it's kinda useless.
i just leave the box on channel right now depending what i want to record from the box. and everything else just gets recorded analog.

btw u have to install the pvr150 first with all it's drivers and such and u should have the ir blaster config utility install at the same time. and with that one u'll find out if the codes work or not.
then when u do the sagetv install there isnt much to it. just tell sage what remote to use and if ur using the built in hauppauge blaster to change the box with the irblaster or not and sage is all setup and good to go.

also im using a A64 3500+ with an asrock mobo. works good for me...

also can't u just make a dual boot comp instead of buying a whole 2nd computer to just try something out???
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Sage User

Help my Hauppage blaster doesn't work either

I thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. Let me say that my Sage TV has been working flawlessly for MONTHS NOW the WAF "Wifey Acceptance Factor" is very high. I upgraded my Charter service to include the phone and a 5Mb download plus digital cable. I've always had the analog and that was good enough, because I didn't think that I could use the digital with SageTV. Until I started poking around...

Here's my problem, my Hauppage blaster wont control the STB. Its a SA-Explorer 3100. Hauppages software code tell me it is "78" but that doesn't control my STB. I've tried all of the codes, but none seems to work. Has anyone had any success with the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100? Is there a way to "teach" the Hauppage remote the ir signals? According to Hauppage's website, the Explorer 3100 is supported.

Thanks
Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM, 1 WesternDigital 750 gig hard drive partitioned in 75 gig/675 gig, 1 Seagate 2 TeraByte Hard drive: 1 HDHR Prime-CC, 1 Hauppauge HD-PVR with Hauppauge 45 button remote with blaster to control 1 Explorer 4640HDC, Windows 7 64bit SP1 all updates applied, SageTV 9.1.7.757, Java v1.7.0_79, SageTV Webserver v3.3, SageTV Mobile Web Interface v2.1.0.47, 2 Hauppauge MediaMPVs & 1 Helius MPV.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Sage User

In theory, it should work. The code is indeed 78 but I'm not sure if you use '078' or '0078.' The code is 78 for all the SA boxes up to 3250 as far as I know. When you try to use the set top box, does the IR light flicker at all?

Apparently, all the Windows pvr software programs load the drivers and in turn, set the remote codes when you install.

I might try the trial version soon but I still wanted to try it on a separate drive but then I need to get one and decide what I'll do with the current drive I'm using now.

mp328, I am not sure if you can use the pvr 150 with the 3250HD set top box. Don't you need a HD TV Tuner card? I was curious about that because it was my impression I had to buy a new tv tuner card if I upgraded from the SA Explorer 2000 to the 3250HD. I have my pvr 150 in another computer but I'd need to buy a new one anyway if I upgraded to the 3250HD?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp328 View Post
the only problem i have right now with my sage box is getting the hauppauge blaster to work with the rogers SA 3250HD box.
Firewire channel changing is your best bet.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer View Post
Firewire channel changing is your best bet.
somebody mentioned that earlier to me, but my mobo doesnt have onboard firewire and i dont have anymore PCI slots for an extra card, so for now i have to leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckle
canuckle
mp328, I am not sure if you can use the pvr 150 with the 3250HD set top box. Don't you need a HD TV Tuner card? I was curious about that because it was my impression I had to buy a new tv tuner card if I upgraded from the SA Explorer 2000 to the 3250HD. I have my pvr 150 in another computer but I'd need to buy a new one anyway if I upgraded to the 3250HD?
and no it works fine with the 150, cuz im only connecting it thru the S-video in on the 150. and the ir blaster is supposed to change the channels but i still didnt get that working properly.

i usually just pick one show i wanna record in HD and set the box to that channel and leave it. not what i hoped for but no other options right now.