SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Sage User

KWorld USB 2.0 TV Tuner Adapter - KW-PVR-TV305U

I don't know if this is a proper post, but I'd like everyone to know that Buy.com is selling the KWorld USB 2.0 TV Tuner Adapter - KW-PVR-TV305U for $14.99 after rebates with free shipping.

I don't know as to whether or not this analog tuner will work with SageTV.

http://www.buy.com/prod/KWorld_USB_2...203947749.html
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Sage User

Just to confirm: This tuner does work with SageTV version 5. The quality of the recordings are "ok"---nothing to write home about. This is a software based encoder, so I didn't expect excellent results. The quality of the recordings are on par with my software encoding Adaptec GameBridge tuner. I'm also using a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 device (hardware encoder) and the picture quality is far superior to both Kworld and Adaptec. All of the tuners are using Nvidia PureVideo decoder.

For HDTV recordings, I'm using an Artec T14A USB tuner and it performs nicely with excellent picture quality. I get a little video stutter now and then. I don't know if it's my over-the-air antenna reception, SageTV, my USB bus, XP background services, or my external USB hard drive that is causing it. The stutter can happen at any time, so it's hard to pin down the culprit.

Edit: Based on further testing, I have to say that the KWorld tuner delivers an inferior picture quality when compared to the Adaptec GameBridge picture quality. After finally being able to compare the Adaptec GB to other software encoding based tuners, I have to say that the GameBridge actually does a pretty good job. I wonder if the KWorld tuner is utilizing the Nvidia Purevideo decoder. I have Purevideo set as the default decoder, but based on the picture quality of the KWorld, it doesn't look like it's using it.

Last edited by Dukenightvision; 01-22-2007 at 06:00 PM.