SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage User

Remote not completely working

I just purchased the Hauppauge PVR-150 and SageTV. For some reason I can't get the remote to fully work with sagetv. All I can get it to do is work the volume, channels, and pause. The main thing I want to get working is the guide button, but would love to have all of them working.

I am running Windows XP SP2 and the IR program from Hauppauge's website. Do I have to have all of the other software installed like the WinTV application and stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Check this FAQ.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Sage User

I copied the new irremote.ini to the directory and reinstalled sage making sure I checked the box for the remote support, but the right, left, ok, guide and other buttons don't work.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

What remote do you have from Hauppauge? Does it look like this one, or do you have an MCE kit from Hauppauge?

If it is an MCE kit, you'll have to go to Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Remote Control Config, then select "MCE Remote".

If it is the Hauppauge remote, you'll need to make sure that ir.exe is running, and restart it after modifying irremote.ini.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Sage User

I have the one that looks like that picture. I just got the regular PVR rather than the MCE kit.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Sage User

So what does the with and without focus mean?

Sorry, I'm a complete noob.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

The standard configuration for irremote.ini works by determining which program has Windows' focus and then sending the remote commands to that program, as defined int its bracketed section in the ini file - such as [SageTV]. If you are using the standard ini config, you need to make sure SageTV is the program with Windows focus for the remote to work.

The one that doesn't need focus forces ir.exe to remain in SageTV mode and send commands to SageTV regardless of what program has focus.

- Andy
Old 01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Sage User

Opus4,

Thanks for all the help you've given me and I know you're probably tired of repeating yourself, but I have two more questions.

1. Does it matter that I'm not using a cable box while trying to get the remote working? I'm just using the cable straight from my wall to my card.

2. By reading your posts all I should have to do is replace my irremote.ini with the one you link to, restart ir.exe, and it should work. Is this right?

I'll worry about the sleep and wake later. Just trying to get everything to work like the picture you have posted of the remote.

Thanks again for your patience and help.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4u2nv
1. Does it matter that I'm not using a cable box while trying to get the remote working? I'm just using the cable straight from my wall to my card.
No, this should have nothing to do with it.

Quote:
2. By reading your posts all I should have to do is replace my irremote.ini with the one you link to, restart ir.exe, and it should work. Is this right?
That should pretty much be it -- and SageTV would have to be in focus. Oh, and some buttons might rely on you choosing the proper remote in Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Remote Config.

You can go to Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Show Command to see if SageTV is registering anything when you press a button on the remote.

Try the remote w/o using it with SageTV... after restarting ir.exe, open notepad & create a blank file called "debug.txt" (w/o the quotes). Then, with notepad in focus, see if anything shows up in the notepad window when you press various buttons.

- Andy
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Sage User

I used the debug.txt and everything showed up as it should. When I actually try to use it in sage still nothing works. I checked to be sure that I had the right remote selected and I did. In the Show Commands nothing shows up when I press a button. I did notice that when I pressed the menu/i button it brought up the same thing as pressing alt+tab would.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Sage User

Nevermind. It just started working. When it brought up that alt tab thing I just selected the sage icon and it worked.

Thanks for all your help
Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

That's was strange... it almost sounds like SageTV didn't have focus. But, if that were the case, then keyboard input wouldn't do anything & using the mouse to click in the SageTV window would cause it to gain focus anyway.

Anyway, glad it is working now.

- Andy
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Sage User

Yeah, that's why I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Just happened to stumble upon the answer.

One last question. Is it possible to map one of the empty buttons on the remote to open sage when I press it from windows?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4u2nv
One last question. Is it possible to map one of the empty buttons on the remote to open sage when I press it from windows?
You could do that, or just use the remote's power button to do it. The ini files from my sig lines have code in the [Default] and [SageTV] sections to start SageTV... or see post 3 in link 1 for info on how to run the exe.

If you have a button in the [SageTV] section run the exe, it would also serve to bring SagetV back into focus... but that is only useful if the [Default] section included the {mode(SageTV)} code to force th IR program to be in SageTV mode.

- Andy
Old 01-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Sage User

Ok. So that means mine should already be able to do it since the one in your sig is the one I used to fix mine yesterday. I haven't tried it yet because I'm at work, but I will when I get home.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I just looked at that ini file agian & yes, it already does this. The layout is different from what SageTV uses as its default settings (as shown in the manual)... look at the picture attachment where you downloaded the ini file & you'll see that the Go button restarts SageTV while in SageTV mode.

- Andy