SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Sage User

Question Any fixes for the PVR-350 been released lately?

Any fixes for the PVR-350 been released lately? Been a while since I seached around the forums, but didn't really come up with anything.

I've had the various bugs with the PVR-350 since I started using Sage2.0.

Unfortunately, the more releases there seem to be, the more bugs seem to effect to the PVR-350.

Last night I upgraded to Sage6 and upgraded all my drivers/java to the latest version. Unfortunately all the bugs are still there.

For the record, my issues with Sage + PVR-350 are:

1. stuttering video
2. freezing and crashing at end of file
3. random audio glitches where the audio will suddenly blast out static at high volumes
4. machine will occasionally shutdown without warning
5. video/audio will freeze. it usually comes back if you wait about 10minutes.

And the new bugs that appeared with sage5/6

1. machine will occasionally bog down and I have to kill the sage process and restart it
2. sage will occasionally change to the wrong channel through the usb-uirt
3. on screen menu won't dissapear on its own. I usually have to make it dissappear by pressing the "ok" button twice.

I have tried sage tv using different computers. The only constant piece of hardware is the PVR-350.

Current hardware in the sagetv machine is:

Celeron 2ghz
512ram
160gig hd

Runs xp sp2.

It runs cool and is not overheating in any way.

The machine with the PVR-350 also functions as a server, and clients that connect never have any problems I can think of. (for the record, I am the only person watching tv on sage. I use the client so I can watch on the tv in my bedroom)

Sorry for my longwinded email. Any updates on these bugs would be helpful!

-d
Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'm using 2 PVR350's and don't have any problems at all. I think theres an issue if you use the tv out on it, but if you go via a graphics card or a client/mvp, then there shouldn't be any issues.

I've had some similar audio/video problems to yours when I used the intervideo decoders, but since changing to nvidia purevideo, or even the cyberlink ones from powerdvd5 (theres a free update at their website for powerdvd5) , I haven't had any issues.

What version of Java are you using? I'd use 1.4 or 6, depending on what xmltv importer you're using. Version 6 seems a lot better and the menu's are faster, but the old cerces.jar in the old xmltv doesn't work with 6. v1.5 has memory leaks that cause Sage to slowly grind to a halt.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Sage Icon

Are you using the TV-out feature of the 350? If yes, I think its safe to say that the problems associated with TV-out on this card will never get fixed. This is not a SageTV problem as the flaw is either in the hardware or driver from hauppauge.

I use the 350 as a regular tuner only and not the TV-out feature, and it works fine.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Sage User

Yes, using TV out.

ah yes, I'm sorry I forgot the mention that I AM using the TV-Out on the PVR-350. The TV-out feature of the pvr-350 and compatability with sage was the whole reason I went with sage in the first place.

My main tv will not accept video out from a VGA or DVI port, so I need the tv out feature of the PVR-350. I know there are other ways to get the picture into my tv, but the picture quality is horrible when compared to the PVR-350.

Another thought, I know wintv2k works with the tv-out on the pvr-350 without a problem. So there has to be something conflicting with sage and the drivers combined.

By far the most annoying bug I experience is the end of file bug. In order to avoid it now, I have to make sure to press the "advance forward 2minutes" button within the last minute of the show. Otherwise the cpu will peg at 99% and sage will become unresponsive. Worst case the machine will reboot.

Seems like an easy quick fix would be to have sage automatically advance forward 2minutes within the last minute of playback. If there was a way to do that. I've heard many people mention this type of fix over the years, but I've never seen anyone able to implement it.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

If you search this forum for PVR-350 and its TV-out related thread, you'll see countless posts and countless hours spent trying to figure out what is wrong with the PVR-350. And many people reported problems even with the WinTV software that came with it, myself included. This is NOT a sageTV problem. I think hauppauge ripped enough people off with this product already and I'm shocked that they are still selling it.

My suggestion is to just use the 350 just as a TV tuner so its not a total waste of money, and purchase the SageTV Media Extender. This little box will give you the same picture quality as the 350's TV-out but without ALL the problems that comes with the 350. And you don't have to have your PC next to your TV, you just need to run a network cable to the Extender. Its a $110 but you also get divx, quicktime, xvid, dvd, etc transcoding, which means you can playback those file formats with the extender, something that is not possible with the 350.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 01-12-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamix
ah yes, I'm sorry I forgot the mention that I AM using the TV-Out on the PVR-350. The TV-out feature of the pvr-350 and compatability with sage was the whole reason I went with sage in the first place.

My main tv will not accept video out from a VGA or DVI port, so I need the tv out feature of the PVR-350. I know there are other ways to get the picture into my tv, but the picture quality is horrible when compared to the PVR-350.
The MediaMVP is not horrible compared to a 350, at least from reports from people who have used both.

Quote:
Another thought, I know wintv2k works with the tv-out on the pvr-350 without a problem. So there has to be something conflicting with sage and the drivers combined.
I think its 3rd party software and the driver. GBPVR has the same issues last I heard, I think sub was even considering completly dropping any support for the 350...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Sage User

I tried a Media Extender as soon as they hit the market. Unfortunately the quality was not comparable to the PVR-350. The extender is much darker with much higher contrast. Sage hit me with a 15% restocking fee I know I was not the only person with this problem.

I guess the only real solution is to get an expensive new LCD or Plasma which I can use as a computer monitor. Unless a better quality media extender comes out soon. I am just sad because my tv might be kinda old, but it still is very nice. (a sony 34" HDTV crt tv)

Thanks all for offering your help.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

The dark picture issue only effects some of the units, from everything I have read... I have "fixed" mine by plugging a device between the MVP and TV. It significantly boosted the brightness. I would hope since Hauppauge is aware of this that new units probably wouldn't still have this problem, but I don't really know.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yes you're right, the new units are fine. I think hauppauge were doing replacements for a while, if my memory serves me.

I have 3 mvp's, a ver 1 and 2 ver 2.05 and they are all fine. The quality is better than the tv out on my 6600gt.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 AM
Sage Icon

I have several MVPs also, and none of them have the dark picture problem. The only time I remember having the dark picture problem was when I tried the MVP with Matt's plugin, this was before SageTV officially supported the MVP. The picture quality is bright again with SageTV's built in support.

I have experience with both the MVP and the 350 TV-out, and they are very close to the same quality.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you have an HDTV, then it should also have component inputs. Have you thought of using a VGA-component transcoder? Some of the video cards even have component output via dongles. Might save you from having to buy a new TV.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The dark picture issue only effects some of the units, from everything I have read... I have "fixed" mine by plugging a device between the MVP and TV. It significantly boosted the brightness.
Well, I decided to get another MVP. Same dark picture issue.

I tried plugging my recevier between the MVP and the TV. Same dark picture.

Quote:
Yes you're right, the new units are fine. I think hauppauge were doing replacements for a while, if my memory serves me.
Well, I definately didn't get one of the new units. I can set the PVR-350 and the MVP to the main menu screen, and directly compare the image quality. There is a big difference. Maybe if I contact Hauppauge they'll replace it with a model that will definately work?

Quote:
If you have an HDTV, then it should also have component inputs. Have you thought of using a VGA-component transcoder? Some of the video cards even have component output via dongles.
Oh, I've tried most everything. I bought a DVI->Component adapter for my ATI videocard. The TV didn't like it very much. Picture quality was poor. I could see the screen refreshing and the colors were way off.

I guess I'll see if Hauppauge can't replace this unit with a model that does work.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm really surprised at your problems. I've been watching on an MVP all night.

One of mine has firmware 1.0 and two have firmware 2.05.

I have european ones with scart outputs on.

I don't know if anyone else has any suggestions for you, I hope someone can help.