SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Local of tuners

Perhaps a dumb question here, but can SageTV pick up a tuner card on a client computer? If so, how. Or do all of your tuners have to be on the computer tha is actually running SageTV? Thanks.

Brent
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Sage Icon

A second copy of sagetv server is required and then you can use that second instance as a network encoder.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 PM
SageTVaholic

One thing to keep in mind when considering network encoders is how Sage handled upgrades this time around. They charged for the server and the clients were free. If this happens again you'd be looking at two server licenses instead of one. None of us know for certain how the next upgrade will be handled, but it's something to think about.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I did not know that. So, you can run two SageTV servers at the same time on the same network? I think that will make things easier for me as I set up my new network. I was stressed out about moving my database and sage properties over to a new computer, but do I understand I could install a new SageTV server on it and run the other one on my old computer, too, and they both run simulatenously and pick up each other's recordings list? (poor grammar, but hopefully you get the point).

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
A second copy of sagetv server is required and then you can use that second instance as a network encoder.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Be aware that if you have 2 SageTV servers, a SageTV client (also MVP) can only interact with one of these. Each time you start a SageTV client, you'll have to select to which server you want the client to connect to.

Your 2 SageTV servers would run independently, they do not share properties, scheduling or whatever. You could allow each server to access the stored multimedia available on the other server, but I believe that's it.

I have seen threads on sharing multimedia from other computers, but not sure anymore on the details. I assume you'll need to map network drives on which the multimedia is stored between servers. I seem to remember some issues if you would use a path directly to the other computer.

What's the issue of moving all to your new server? Settings or just the amount of data? Or something else?

Jan
Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

I think there is a little confusion. If you setup two independent servers then what JParedis said is true.

If you setup a network encoder as you were originally asking about then what was said is incorrect. With network encoders one server acts as the master and the other the slave. The master will schedule the recordings and is still the brains of the setup. By adding a network encoder your giving the master server the ability to control the tuners located in the slave. The slave isn't an independent server and requires the master to function.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Blade, I stand corrected

I totally ignored this network setup configuration, probably as I never gave it any attention before.

What would be a good reason to do this setup? Why not have both encoders on one PC? I can only come up with a disk storage scenario. But as I never done this, I may be missing some other advanage.

Jan
Old 01-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis
What would be a good reason to do this setup? Why not have both encoders on one PC? I can only come up with a disk storage scenario. But as I never done this, I may be missing some other advanage.

Jan
Maybe all the encoders can't be in one PC. Out of slots, driver limitations, or unable/unwilling to rewire the cable/satellite cabling to go to one location could be some of the reasons for a network encoder.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would be interested in the network encoder route. My intentions had been to just run Sage on one computer, but the one I wanted to use only has one slot for a tuner (and I have two tuner cards- a win250 dual tuner and a CatsEye for High Def). Thinking out loud, if I got one of those homerun gadgets that might solve my problem. Then I could move everything over to the new computer.

The other alternative instead of the network method would be to move the CatsEye tuner over to the computer that currently runs Sage (it has an extra slot best I recall), and just set up client on the new computer.

The computer that currently runs Sage is a Dell Optiplex 170L running a Intel Pent. 4 CPU 2.80 GHZ w/ 512 of Ram. Do y'all think that could handle processing the recording of high def?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I think there is a little confusion. If you setup two independent servers then what JParedis said is true.

If you setup a network encoder as you were originally asking about then what was said is incorrect. With network encoders one server acts as the master and the other the slave. The master will schedule the recordings and is still the brains of the setup. By adding a network encoder your giving the master server the ability to control the tuners located in the slave. The slave isn't an independent server and requires the master to function.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
HD Home run is by far the easiest to setup and also the most reliable way of getting 2 x HD streams into your system I've come accross. I've tried many with varying degrees of luck until the homerune came along and made my $$$s spent on other solutions obsolete.. Anytone want to buy som Autumnwave USB-GT HDs, and a pair of ATI AIW 650s?! ;-)

I have a Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz sage server with 600GB of local storage as my primary server down in the basement, and I'm in the middle of setting up a second Instance of sage Server on my client pc (Running the same copy as both a Sage Client and as a Network extender). Having a couple of minor niggles right now .For one documentation is thin on the ground, one page in the manual isn't really enough. :-/

I also have an instance of SGR running on another box for firewire capture.

I hope to add a second running on the same client pc / server in the living room.

Also living in the rack with the server are a coupleof 2U boxes stuffed with 2TB each which have all my stored DVDs and Archived shows that have have their commercials removed.

My reason for multipe devices? Storage capacity is one, throughput is another, and finally com skip is a third.

Comskip I hear you say.. ?

Processing HD for commercial detection is very cpu hungry, but having each box process its own local store it stops any one device getting bogged down and gets my commercials detected not too long after the show is recorded. When I had a single box processing it would easily fall behind with the multiple tuners cranking, also comskipping HD over a network is not a thing of beauty..

If anyone else out there has got a similar setup to mine I'd love to chat fine details.. Getting something like this running, and more importantly keeping is stable is taking a large chunk of my time!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

The more I think about it, I may get one of the HD Home Runs (doesn't it connect through a USB?). If I go that route, I can have everything on one computer.

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diginerd
HD Home run is by far the easiest to setup and also the most reliable way of getting 2 x HD streams into your system I've come accross. I've tried many with varying degrees of luck until the homerune came along and made my $$$s spent on other solutions obsolete.. Anytone want to buy som Autumnwave USB-GT HDs, and a pair of ATI AIW 650s?! ;-)

I have a Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz sage server with 600GB of local storage as my primary server down in the basement, and I'm in the middle of setting up a second Instance of sage Server on my client pc (Running the same copy as both a Sage Client and as a Network extender). Having a couple of minor niggles right now .For one documentation is thin on the ground, one page in the manual isn't really enough. :-/

I also have an instance of SGR running on another box for firewire capture.

I hope to add a second running on the same client pc / server in the living room.

Also living in the rack with the server are a coupleof 2U boxes stuffed with 2TB each which have all my stored DVDs and Archived shows that have have their commercials removed.

My reason for multipe devices? Storage capacity is one, throughput is another, and finally com skip is a third.

Comskip I hear you say.. ?

Processing HD for commercial detection is very cpu hungry, but having each box process its own local store it stops any one device getting bogged down and gets my commercials detected not too long after the show is recorded. When I had a single box processing it would easily fall behind with the multiple tuners cranking, also comskipping HD over a network is not a thing of beauty..

If anyone else out there has got a similar setup to mine I'd love to chat fine details.. Getting something like this running, and more importantly keeping is stable is taking a large chunk of my time!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
It's 100BT ethernet.. Very shiny
Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcraig
The more I think about it, I may get one of the HD Home Runs (doesn't it connect through a USB?). If I go that route, I can have everything on one computer.

Brent
No. It connects to your network over Ethernet. Sage sees it as a network encoder.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.