SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Angry Stability

Does Sage contain special code that causes it to crash when you attempt to watch a football game?

Although I rarely watch live TV on the machine in question, Sage (6.0.19) has been fairly stable lately. It records & plays back shows fine, can watch imported videos in almost all formats, does a good job with MP3's, etc. etc.

So today the wife wants to watch the Pats vs. Jets game, I tell her why don't you watch in the media room on the big screen. I set it up in advance to record the show on 2 different cards: OTA on the A180, and from DirecTV on the PVR-150 cuz somtimes the OTA reception isn't so great.

5 minutes into the game, I decide to start watching. I go to the program guide and select the OTA/HD version, and tell it to play. I'm immediately rewarded with a "Sage has lost connection to the service..." message. I want a few moments for it to recombobulate itself, go back to main menu, back to program guide, this time I select the DirecTV channel and tell it to watch that. Same thing, except this time after giving the "lost connection" message the UI locks up complely - I can't even alt-F4 out of it.

Finally manage to bring task manager up and close the Sage client. I figure maybe this is a service problem, so I shut off the service and fire up the client again. Try to watch the HD version again, same thing: "lost connection" message.

So I figure maybe it's a problem with trying to record on two cards at the same time... I go in and cancel the recording on the A180. "REC" indicator is lit up so presumably it's still recording on the PVR-150. I go in to watch the show, and get the famous "problem rendering the audio portion of the content" message. Tried a few other things like going to "live TV" or "recordings" instead of thru the program guide, same problem. Switched audio decoder and renderer (which were working fine before w/recorded shows), same problem.

I finally gave up, the wife's watching the game on the Tivo which we use daily and has crashed ONCE in the three years we've owned it... when I was messing with its software!

I guess I could file a bug report and under "steps to reproduce" tell them they have to try it during a Patriots game?

</rant>

Eric Law