SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

DVD - Once and for all thread

Ok, I know I am a newbie here, but it appears playing DVD's is a complicated matter. I have done searches and read through lots of posts with people talking about different codecs, some software available somewhere on the Internet that disables Macrovision, hacking the windows registry, changing screen resolutions, etc. I am getting the error that it can't be played due to CSS or Macrovision (whatever they are).

Is it really that complicated?

If I can plug in a DVD on my computer, and it plays with Windoze Media Player, then why would Sage have problems? That just doesn't make any sense.

My system is Sempron 3100 based with a Hauppage 150 tuner and ATI 9550 graphics card. Currently it is connected to the TV via S-video, but will be using component shortly.

Someone suggested that running anything over 640x400 resolution will cause problems. Well, the lowest resolution available on my card is 800x600. I tried all the renderers or codecs in Sage TV with no difference.

So, what I am hoping is for a sticky thread that can explain:

1. The different scenarios that trigger certain things. For example, is it really true that if connected via svideo or component out at resolutions over 640x480 will not work due to digital rights management?

2. Explanation of which codecs should be used where. I saw lots of references to nvidia codecs. Will they work on my ATI graphics output card? Are they free?

3. Most importantly though is explaining why I can play it on windows media player, but sage won't.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by astribli; 01-05-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I just connected the drive booted the computer and poof it worked. I get the error you mentioned if I try to play them back using Nvidia Post Processing (software mode). If I select Nvidia Decoder they playback perfectly. Oh and I'm outputting them at 1080i through a DVI connection to my HDTV. I haven't tried to play many DVDs, but all of them have worked fine so far.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Sage User

Video content on DVDs can be encrypted with a technology called CSS. Additionally, the video signal can be tainted with a technology called Macrovision. Macrovision is supposed to prevent you from copying a DVD onto VHS or to make copies with another DVD recorder that records from the analog output. CSS encryption is used to make DVDs harder to use and to make sure that all companies that make DVD players have to kow-tow to a central licensing agency who can make sure the players don't make DVDs easier and more convenient to use, such as allowing you to skip those trailers before you get to the movies menu, or allowing you to watch a movie they've only approved for the asian market in an attempt to keep you from finding out how terrible the Hollywood remakes really are.

The reason you're not finding straight answers about getting around Macrovision or CSS is because, thanks to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, an unconstitutional piece of legislation that no one has had the money to yet challenge and get removed (there is no chance at all it would survive supreme court scrutiny), telling you how to do so would, at a minimum, get these forums shut down and, at most, send a lot of people to prison.

Why can Windows Media Player play the DVD? Well, out of the box, it won't. You have to get an MPEG-2 decoder that is licensed to decrypt CSS content in order to get Windows Media Player to play the DVD. If you have DVD playing software installed (Cyberlink PowerDVD, etc) then you'll have what you need and WMP will use that. Sage can use it too. I haven't tried it with Sage, but there is a free MPEG-2 decoder on doom9.net in the software section that will let you watch DVDs without buying anything. It's not illegal. Macrovision, in addition to preventing old VCRs and such from recording things a big company thinks it shouldn't, degrades the quality of the video.

As for the issue being resolution-related, I am not certain.

But, don't expect this to be the "once and for all" thread you wanted unless you'll be telling us about your multi-billion-dollar lawsuit going all the way to the Supreme Court to challenge the DMCA and regain our Fair Use rights.