SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Sage Expert

Watching Live TV in Sage 5.02

Sorry if its been asked before but whenever I watch live tv, my Sage is creating events in the My Recordings section. IOW, Say I change channels for 5minutes and am just browsing. In 20 minutes I may have switched to 4 different shows. There will then be 4 entries in the my recordings section.

This is annoying because it creates a lot of clutter and I am constantly cleaning up. Is that normal or is something worng with my setup?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Sorry if its been asked before but whenever I watch live tv, my Sage is creating events in the My Recordings section. IOW, Say I change channels for 5minutes and am just browsing. In 20 minutes I may have switched to 4 different shows. There will then be 4 entries in the my recordings section.

This is annoying because it creates a lot of clutter and I am constantly cleaning up. Is that normal or is something worng with my setup?
Normal. Everything in Sage is a recording. So everytime you change channels you've started another recording. If you're not using Intelligent recording there is a setting to delete those almost immediately so they don't hang around so long. I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly what the setting is.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV has to record everything you watch to allow features such as pause and rewind. Such is the way all DVRs operate in fact. Don't worry about the clutter though. As soon as a show is over, its temp video file is automatically deleted, even if you are not running SageTV anymore (done by STV service).
Athlon X2 4000 @ 2.5Ghz | Antec Veris Fusion v2 | Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H | A-Data 2GB | Westinghouse LVM-37W1 37" LCD | 500GB Samsung | Hauppauge HVR-1800 | VBox DTA-150 | Logitech Harmony 520 | SageTV 6.2.10
Old 01-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx
SageTV has to record everything you watch to allow features such as pause and rewind. Such is the way all DVRs operate in fact.
I am aware of that fact of course obviously its caching to hard drive. I just don't like a zillion entries in my recordings every time I am merely channel surfing and don't really care to keep anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx
Don't worry about the clutter though. As soon as a show is over, its temp video file is automatically deleted, even if you are not running SageTV anymore (done by STV service).
That's just it my system is keeping these entries. Are you saying the next time I open sage they should be gone or immediately after I stop changing channels. On mine, the entries still appear.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That's just it my system is keeping these entries. Are you saying the next time I open sage they should be gone or immediately after I stop changing channels. On mine, the entries still appear.
No, they will be gone when the current program is over, whether you are watching it or not. For example, say "60 Minutes" runs from 8pm-9pm. You watch it for 5 minutes at 8pm then switch to a different channel. The buffer for
"60 minutes" is kept on your hard drive until 9pm, then it's deleted. SageTV does these cleanups automatically.
Athlon X2 4000 @ 2.5Ghz | Antec Veris Fusion v2 | Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H | A-Data 2GB | Westinghouse LVM-37W1 37" LCD | 500GB Samsung | Hauppauge HVR-1800 | VBox DTA-150 | Logitech Harmony 520 | SageTV 6.2.10
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I came from a replaytv and at first thought this feature was very annoying, However after a while of using sage, I have really come to enjoy the way it keeps things. Just yesterday my said 10 minutes after the show ended,

" I wish we recorded that", So I went back and copied to the imported videos folder and made my wife a beleiver in sage.

Also there have been shows that I left for a couple of minutes and had my kid trun the channel, And been able to come back and recover the unwatched portion of the show, So you see its not that bad of a feature afterall.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Sage Expert

Actually the other night I turned the tv off but forgot to press 'stop' while on live tv. So Sage recorded every show on that station all night. Is it normal for entries to remain in recordings even after live tv? Should'nt Sage delete them after each live tv event finishes since they are not scheduled recordings?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Actually the other night I turned the tv off but forgot to press 'stop' while on live tv. So Sage recorded every show on that station all night. Is it normal for entries to remain in recordings even after live tv? Should'nt Sage delete them after each live tv event finishes since they are not scheduled recordings?
It recorded every show all night? Are you sure? It should keep the show for short while then delete them automatically if they are not scheduled recordings, at least that's how it works on my system.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have Intelligent Recording enabled then it will treat these Live TV recordings the same as IR recordings, i.e. it will keep them until it needs to make room for new recordings.

If you don't have IR enabled, and these recordings are still hanging around, then adjust the setting gplasky mentioned, i.e. Detailed Setup > Customize > Delete Live TV Files.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
If you have Intelligent Recording enabled then it will treat these Live TV recordings the same as IR recordings, i.e. it will keep them until it needs to make room for new recordings.

If you don't have IR enabled, and these recordings are still hanging around, then adjust the setting gplasky mentioned, i.e. Detailed Setup > Customize > Delete Live TV Files.

IR is disabled
(I have a hard enough time finding the time to just watch all my regularly scheduled favorites- don't need Sage to tell me what else I might like)

Detailed Setup > Customize > Delete Live TV Files

This will not stop Sage from creating new entries, right? So is there is some other problem creating these entries or is this normal behaviour?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Normal behavior. Everything Sage does in TV is a recording. Change the channel and it stops recording the one file and starts recording the new channel. Sage will clean these remmants up on its own.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Normal behavior. Everything Sage does in TV is a recording. Change the channel and it stops recording the one file and starts recording the new channel. Sage will clean these remmants up on its own.

Gerry
Thanks. Also setting Delete Live recordings when finished cleans things up. It's all good