SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

MP3 Tag Editor

Anyone here know of a good, preferably free MP3 tag editor that I can use to organize my MP3 collection?

I know this question has been asked before, but I have a specific feature request. When I ripped my CD collection to MP3, I failed to include the track number in the filename, what I would like is software that can determine the track numbers automatically based on the filename and album name.

Anything out there that does this?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have had great success with MP3 Tag Tools found here:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=571

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Mp3Tag - Florian Heidenreich http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
ID3-TagIt - Michael Pluemper http://www.id3-tagit.de
<both are freeware and very useful>

Zortam MP3 Media Studio - Zoran Gvozdenovic http://www.zortam.com
<free or paid and a database as well>

MP3 Tag Studio - Magnus Brading http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts
<stupid bannerware, but not adware, or purchase - very useful but a bit strange in the UI department>
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Sage Icon

I use The Godfather for my mp3 tagger as it works with Allmusic.com. But I don't believe it will automatically figure out your track names. You would have to sort them manually. Not too bad, but not automated either.

You could look at MusicIP. Not solely a tagging program, I have used it to fix some tags that I did incorrectly. It generates a unique fingerprint for each song, then compares it to their database to match the songs. It will then tell you the differences between your tag data and their database (submited by other users). I've never had it mis-identify any of my songs. It also found the ones that I tagged incorrectly.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
MusicBrainz will figure out what it is and tag it by listening to it. Great if you have no f'n clue.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
I have had great success with MP3 Tag Tools
Speaking of MP3 Tag Tools... does it really not show the Album Artist field? I've been ripping with WMP & its Advanced Tag Editor option shows the Album Artist, so I never had to worry about it.

If I'm not just missing it & MP3 Tag Tools really doesn't use that tag, do the other utilities listed above work with a more complete set of tags?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Speaking of MP3 Tag Tools... does it really not show the Album Artist field? I've been ripping with WMP & its Advanced Tag Editor option shows the Album Artist, so I never had to worry about it.

If I'm not just missing it & MP3 Tag Tools really doesn't use that tag, do the other utilities listed above work with a more complete set of tags?

- Andy
Hmmmm. Though MP3 Tag Tools does support many ID3v2 tags, it does not support them all, including the "Album Artist" (Composer) field. This is a bummer, because it is a slick, compact program. Time to check out the others.... (On first look, "The Godfather" looks pretty slick. I'll give this a try....)

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

In The Godfather, I managed to find the Album Artist for one of my songs under the “Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment" field when manually editing the tags for a file, but I had to look under the "More Data" tab of the pop-up dialog. I'm not sure what people have used to add the Album Artist field... which seems like a fairly important field to have in use for v6.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Instead of the album artist field I have found it better to separate the artists by the "/" delimiter.. I try to use all MP3 v2.x tags.... This way you can have as many individual artists you want for a track...

I use a combination of 3 tools to edit my tags
MP3tag v2.37a (you can edit fields directly in the grid and pull data from freedb, amazon, etc.)

MP3 Assistant Pro (good for seeing all of the Composer, Album Artist, etc. fields and clearing them out if you want to. You also see if a file only has ID3v1 tags)

MP3 Tag tools (good for copying ID3v1 tags to ID3 v2)...

Clients: 2 HD Extenders