SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-29-2006, 07:18 PM

Problems with SageTV 6.0 and the Service

Hello. I've been communicating with George for the last week about a problem I'm having with SageTV 6. I'm hoping that some of you can help me. I installed the upgrade on the 20th and things seemed to work well. I then ran into problems on the 22nd with my McAfee Security Center where I needed to install some MSXML 4 upgrades and the Microsoft download manager in order to get McAfee to work properly. Once I installed he download manager, Microsoft made a lot of upgrades to my system as if the automatic upgrade feature of Windows hadn't been working in a while. I also upgraded Java, Microsoft Media Player 11 and DirectX 9 while I was at it.

Soon after, the SageTV MCE and Client began to act strangely. I couldn't get the Service and SageTV to work concurrently. When the service is active and started, SageTV resets to an initial setup screen, where I need to enter the country. When going through the whole setup routine again, SageTV can't locate any of my local disks in its browser and can't set up my two Hauppauge PV-150 video cards as sources. In fact, no video can be seen in the setup at all. So, when I deactivate the Service and restart SageTV, everything is fine. Therefore, in order to maintain my recording schedule, I need to keep my SageTV MCE running on my server. The drawback to that is my SageTV Client is showing the same problems and George tells me the Client shouldn't work without the Service running anyway. Meanwhile, whether SageTV or the Service is running (singularly, they will not run together), Placeshifter seems to have no problem running correctly!

I've uninstalled and reinstalled this software many times over the last week, even making sure I did a clean install. I even attempted to reinstall SageTV 5.0, hoping to get back to where I was before, without success. I've uninstalled McAfee and tried to do a system restore, but the system won't let me go back to the earlier date because of all the system upgrades.

Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstoecker
The drawback to that is my SageTV Client is showing the same problems and George tells me the Client shouldn't work without the Service running anyway.
I don't believe this is true, it shouldn't matter whether you run SageTV as a service or standalone as long as you have the server enabled in the SageTV options...

Quote:
I've uninstalled and reinstalled this software many times over the last week, even making sure I did a clean install. I even attempted to reinstall SageTV 5.0, hoping to get back to where I was before, without success. I've uninstalled McAfee and tried to do a system restore, but the system won't let me go back to the earlier date because of all the system upgrades.
Can you check under which account you are running the service ? If it is the local system account, change it to the user account (with password) that you use to log on to the machine and see if this helps.

Dirk
Old 12-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

You mentioned upgrading Java. This is usually a big no-no (at least in my book).
Old 12-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Sage Icon

when you did a clean install, did you delete the sagetv folder in c:\program files? If not, sagetv leaves behind certain files.

List your hardware specs and what version of java are you using. If I remember correctly, DirectX 9c comes with service pack 2, so is your WinXP updated to SP2 also?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.