SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Next project

Now that my sage box is working happily with all of its mvp's, I have 3 pc's left over and so need a new project to keep me busy and out of trouble.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't like web developing, god thats so boring for me (probably because I'm useless at it), I used to have a SBS2003 server at home but it just sat there receiving junk mail, so I need something new to get my teeth into.

I was thinking about home automation but all I'd use it for is to turn the heating on and off before I set off on the drive home from work every Friday, so it seems a bit pointless.

Does anyone have any good ideas? Ideally something to keep me busy while watching lots of recorded TV, that keeps me away from dodgy dating sites!

Oh yes, merry christmas everyone
Old 12-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

If you are not in the mood for developing, you could use one of your boxes for your own PBX. See http://www.asterisk.org
Old 12-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaine2
If you are not in the mood for developing, you could use one of your boxes for your own PBX. See http://www.asterisk.org
thats looks quite interesting, I'll have a proper look when I get back from the parents. I don't mind developing, its just I'm used to mainframe coding in cobol and haven't gotten into the whole windows development yet. I'm not sure which language to chose from either, theres so many. I'm a dab hand with kix scripting but you can only do so much with that.

I might try SQL and IIS and write a few apps to pass the time.

As for the sage.properties settings, my sage runs fine but I have no idea whatsoever what most of the settings do, I've hardly ever tweaked any. There again I only watch sage recorded files and don't mess around with divx, ripped DVD's or anything like that.

One thing I noticed earlier was that an option to convert recordings via the web front end would be nice so that I don't have to VNC onto the main sage pc, but I only do it now and again so its not really an inconvenience.

I can feel another glass of wine calling...... hic ..
Old 12-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaine2
This is a very good idea, but it'll infect you like a Sage install . Get it running with Broadvoice's BYOD ip phone connection (no POTS lines run in, all digital), and a couple extensions, with a few good IP phones, and it works great . Had to give mine up when we moved, none of the VOIP providers I could get here had local #'s, so had to go with Bellsouth...

Guess I could use a ATA and set it back up, but I don't have the time to play with it anymore .
Old 12-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

You could create a voice activated front end for Sage....
Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
This is a very good idea, but it'll infect you like a Sage install . Get it running with Broadvoice's BYOD ip phone connection (no POTS lines run in, all digital), and a couple extensions, with a few good IP phones, and it works great . Had to give mine up when we moved, none of the VOIP providers I could get here had local #'s, so had to go with Bellsouth...

Guess I could use a ATA and set it back up, but I don't have the time to play with it anymore .
Yeah, I agree

I have been playing with it off and on for about 6 months. I would like to test with my POTS line but I only have one with several phones throughout the house. So I was trying it with a X100 card with one of the phones plugged into it. But I quickly found that the asterisk doesn't understand when one of the other phones (not connected to it) go offhook. The asterisk phone still rings while I am talking on the other phone and eventually will go into the assistant. So testing can only happen when wife is not around so I don't incur her wrath.