SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Sage Fanatic

Am I understanding upgrade policy fees correctly?

Hello!

I bought Sage V 2.0 a couple years ago. I also have 2 client licenses as well as a Media Extender purchased from Sage (comes with client license).

Am I correct in my thinking that it'll cost me $29.99 (special offer upgrade price) to upgrade to Version 6.0? Then, with the other items the upgrade is no charge?

Also, I'm pretty pathetic (actually too busy and work too much) because I haven't installed the Sage I bought yet (2 years ago. Ugh ) so my next question is about the Place Shifter feature because I haven't actually tried it... I have some time off and am again going to try and install this and to my understanding I can use one of the client licenses for the Place Shifter features, correct?

Thanks! I just want to find out what it will take me to get "up to speed" with the latest and greatest when I finally have a chance to dive in and get my Sage up and running!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z
I bought Sage V 2.0 a couple years ago. I also have 2 client licenses as well as a Media Extender purchased from Sage (comes with client license).

Am I correct in my thinking that it'll cost me $29.99 (special offer upgrade price) to upgrade to Version 6.0? Then, with the other items the upgrade is no charge?
Correct -- only installations of the full SageTV (server) product need an upgrade key for versions 4 or earlier; clients do not need an upgrade license.

Quote:
Also, I'm pretty pathetic (actually too busy and work too much) because I haven't installed the Sage I bought yet (2 years ago. Ugh ) so my next question is about the Place Shifter feature because I haven't actually tried it... I have some time off and am again going to try and install this and to my understanding I can use one of the client licenses for the Place Shifter features, correct?
I was about to say that client licenses are not the same as Placeshifter licenses... but then I noticed you said you have an extender license for an MVP. Extender and Placeshifter licenses are really the same thing, so you can register that on your server to connect a Placeshifter client.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks, Andy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I was about to say that client licenses are not the same as Placeshifter licenses... but then I noticed you said you have an extender license for an MVP. Extender and Placeshifter licenses are really the same thing, so you can register that on your server to connect a Placeshifter client.

- Andy
So if I register my MVP license to be used for Placeshifter then does that mean that I won't be able to use my MVP or won't be able to use them *at the same time*?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So if I register my MVP license to be used for Placeshifter then does that mean that I won't be able to use my MVP or won't be able to use them *at the same time*?
Licenses for remote clients are for simultaneous usage, so if you have a single license, you'll have to shut down one remote client to use another one. To answer the next question: That means exiting the PS client or powering off the MVP client. One further answer: that means using the green power button on the remote to soft power off the MVP; you don't have to unplug it.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Licenses for remote clients are for simultaneous usage, so if you have a single license, you'll have to shut down one remote client to use another one. To answer the next question: That means exiting the PS client or powering off the MVP client. One further answer: that means using the green power button on the remote to soft power off the MVP; you don't have to unplug it.

- Andy
Gotcha! Thanks, Andy!

I have 4 licenses... main Sage for V2.0, 2 clients and 1 MVP. I thought I read on here that I could covert a client to Placeshifter (that's what I was talking about above) but could be mistaken about that. I'm not actually going to need both client licenses since I bought the MVP but if I need to spend another $30 or so then that's cool and might be worth not having to worry about if I shut down the MVP so I can use Placeshifter

It's kinda hard talking about this stuff without any "hands on" experience. I really need to just hook the darn thing up and see what happens and what works and doesn't I suppose Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

I purchased the Linux lisence so I could run v6. Do I have a v5 or a v6 Linux License?

Basically, I just want to know if, when v7 comes out, you guys state that v5 has to pay an upgrade fee, but v6 is cool, will I have to pay?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

You would have to ask SageTV if there is a difference. And, I can only speak about current policy, not what might happen in the future.

- Andy
Old 12-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Gotcha! Thanks, Andy!
I thought I read on here that I could covert a client to Placeshifter (that's what I was talking about above) but could be mistaken about that. I'm not actually going to need both client licenses since I bought the MVP but if I need to spend another $30 or so then that's cool and might be worth not having to worry about if I shut down the MVP so I can use Placeshifter
That conversion was a one time deal to convert a SageTVClient to a MVP extender license. Since then, the MVP extender license has gained a new feature, the ability to be a placeshifter license as well. You don't need to register into the Sage server any special way to use it as either an MVP or Placeshifter license. Once installed on the server, it functions as both . Yup, if you shut down the MVP the license is released for usage on a placeshifter or on a second MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChePazzo
I purchased the Linux lisence so I could run v6. Do I have a v5 or a v6 Linux License?

Basically, I just want to know if, when v7 comes out, you guys state that v5 has to pay an upgrade fee, but v6 is cool, will I have to pay?
About a month ago I emailed Sage and asked about V6 specific licensing. At that time, since V6 was in beta, they hadn't determined if they were gonna do V6 keys, or just continue to do V5 keys. If I knew that they were gonna do V6 keys in the very near future, I was gonna wait to buy Sage for my parents.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks, Jack! I'm a little unsure now of what I have with the MVP. It is still in the box. I was supposed to get a license with it but haven't even checked. Probably should get off my butt and get this stuff organized
Old 12-21-2006, 12:56 PM

I have a question pertaining to upgrades also.

I was using a late beta of version 5 when I decided to purchase a license from PC Alchemy on April 17, 2006.

Yesterday, I installed version 6 and discovered that my license required an upgrade. I contacted PC Alchemy, and they advised me that I had missed a free upgrade by 8 days - the official version 5 was released on April 25th. Apparently the license key I purchased from them was version 4.

If I need to purchase an upgrade, how much will it cost?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave53
If I need to purchase an upgrade, how much will it cost?
The very first post of this thread states the current price of $29.99 (for a limited time), or you can check the v6 upgrade in the SageTV store.

- Andy
Old 12-21-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The very first post of this thread states the current price of $29.99 (for a limited time), or you can check the v6 upgrade in the SageTV store.

- Andy
Thanks Andy! I saw the $29.99 price. I just wondered if they would cut me slack given the timing of my purchase.

Not a big deal. Thirty bucks isn't going to break me if I decide I need the features of v6.

Regards,

Dave