SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Sage Icon

Ripped DVDs on MVP

Just trying this out. I have an unencrypted ripped DVD in my import folder (X:\<Import>\CC\VIDEO_TS\) and I can play it fine on my server, but when played on the wired MVP I just get a black screen. Any ideas? 6.1.18, MVP plays XviDs from the same folder structure with no problems. Thanks!
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Seems like hit and miss with playing DVDs on the MVPs.

I recently watched one fine, just tried another one and the image is all screwed up (black bar where there shouldn't suppose to be one).
On another DVD I can play the individual VOBs but not the DVD as a whole ('error in playback').

If there were some other way to watch them (including subs and chapters) I'd like to know, even if it takes a couple of hours to convert them.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
Just trying this out. I have an unencrypted ripped DVD in my import folder (X:\<Import>\CC\VIDEO_TS\) and I can play it fine on my server, but when played on the wired MVP I just get a black screen. Any ideas? 6.1.18, MVP plays XviDs from the same folder structure with no problems. Thanks!
what did you use to rip? FabDVDDecrypter allows you to strip out unwanted titles, while preserving the original menus. However, DVDs ripped like this don't seem to work in 6.0.17 and beyond. They did play fine in 6.0.16.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChePazzo
what did you use to rip?
Who said I ripped them?
No idea what they were ripped with I'm afraid, but plays fine on the server...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
Seems like hit and miss with playing DVDs on the MVPs.

I recently watched one fine, just tried another one and the image is all screwed up (black bar where there shouldn't suppose to be one).
On another DVD I can play the individual VOBs but not the DVD as a whole ('error in playback').

If there were some other way to watch them (including subs and chapters) I'd like to know, even if it takes a couple of hours to convert them.
It might have something to do with the security on the DVD. Depending on what you are using to rip them, and if your not ripping them, them it comes down to the SAGE Transcoder accessing the DVD drive with the security intact. Each DVD may of may not have heavy security on it, and each movie studio have different techniques they use. Sony is the strongest to date.
On the Server or PC the installed DVD decoding software is probably working when you are viewing it, but when it comes to the MVP or Placeshifter the SAGE transcoder needs to work and the security is probably causing the problem.
One of the Best DVD rippers I have found is AVS Video Tools, it seems to have the best sound synchronizing and adjustments for quality. ImTOO DVD Ripper is also a good one but I have had audio sync problems on some discs, its faster then AVS but if the sound is off I go to AVS and it comes out great for my video library.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

This was mentioned during the beta, but now that v6 is released, it should probably be said again: DVD playback on the MVP is for hard drive based DVDs or DVD disks that have no encryption, such as home made DVDs. SageTV is not able to play a commercial encrypted DVD disk on the MVP.

(As far as I know, the people above are talking about DVDs imported from a hard drive.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Sage Icon

Andy, you're right. This is an unencrypted, ripped-to-HDD DVD.

Does the MVP use Sage's set decoder, or does it decode the VOBs itself? I'm trying to work out if there is any way to influence playback on the MVP...if not, I assume this one won't play so forget it.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Is the ripped DVD NTSC or PAL? I'm guessing your MVP is a PAL version and the DVD is NTSC.

I live on the NTSC side of the ocean and my NTSC MVP will not display PAL video, just a black screen. I started fooling with the transcoder to get it to convert PAL to NTSC but gave up since it was a lot easier to watch the DVD on a client....

Edit: The MVP does not use any software decoder at all, it has a hardware MPEG decoder on board so it ONLY plays MPEG. Everything else is transcoded to MPEG before being sent to the MVP. VOBs are MPEG files so they are decoded by the MVP directly.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 12-21-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
Does the MVP use Sage's set decoder, or does it decode the VOBs itself?
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the MVP uses its hardware decoder to play back DVDs, or any video you playback on the MVP...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
Is the ripped DVD NTSC or PAL? I'm guessing your MVP is a PAL version and the DVD is NTSC.

I live on the NTSC side of the ocean and my NTSC MVP will not display PAL video, just a black screen. I started fooling with the transcoder to get it to convert PAL to NTSC but gave up since it was a lot easier to watch the DVD on a client....

Edit: The MVP does not use any software decoder at all, it has a hardware MPEG decoder on board so it ONLY plays MPEG. Everything else is transcoded to MPEG before being sent to the MVP. VOBs are MPEG files so they are decoded by the MVP directly.
I can get my NTSC MVP to play PAL DVDs via playing the VOBs. However, when I try to play it as a DVD I get audio only. The screen is black. I'm not sure why I can play the vobs just fine...but not the DVD.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have several ripped DVD's, and they all play on the MVP without issue.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Right, that's probably it, I guess I'm just used to most devices being able to play both nowadays. Damn...means I'll have to burn them for the DVD Player!

Is there any way to rip an NTSC DVD as PAL?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Per Deadbolt, try creating a playlist of the VOBs and then play that. I'm not sure why but that seems to work. I've never tried it.

There are various programs out there that transcode between PAL and NTSC. My preferred method is to use VideoReDo to create one MPEG from all of the VOBs and then convert the MPEG using TMPGEnc.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Per Deadbolt, try creating a playlist of the VOBs and then play that.
Nope, VOBs don't work either! No worries, I'll just need to burn them...