SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Sage Icon

Even though it griped about XP-SP1, jre6 has improved MVP responsiveness; except when it has to deal w/ the samba storage. That's probably M$' fault.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can confirm Java 6 breaks Nielm's Auto Aspect Ratio Switcher. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=14146
It will no longer automatically select the assigned aspect ratio but it still can be performed manually.

I have used Java 6 for a week now and it seems very stable indeed.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfiles
I can confirm Java 6 breaks Nielm's Auto Aspect Ratio Switcher. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=14146
It will no longer automatically select the assigned aspect ratio but it still can be performed manually.

I have used Java 6 for a week now and it seems very stable indeed.
Java 6 works just fine for me using the Auto Aspect Ratio Switcher in SageMC6.3.1. No problems what so ever.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer
PS if I want to watch any shows on the server I simply start another instance of SageTV with the -client switch. This way if the show I am watching for some reasons causes a crash it will not affect recordings.
Does this still work in V6? I thought they are done away with that switch.

I used to run Sage as a service, then have the client running on the same machine to view programs, but it absolutely killed the performance and reliability of the system with V6.

Using just the client is working OK, but every once in a while the UI locks and I have to kill the process and restart Sage. The joy with that is it almost always happens when it is recording something I really like, and then I end up with gaps of a minute or two.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTuckman
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer
PS if I want to watch any shows on the server I simply start another instance of SageTV with the -client switch. This way if the show I am watching for some reasons causes a crash it will not affect recordings.
The -client command line parameter is still there & is listed in Appendix D in the PDF manual.

Quote:
I used to run Sage as a service, then have the client running on the same machine to view programs, but it absolutely killed the performance and reliability of the system with V6.
Any continuing problems should be brought to SageTV's attention -- you can contact support, and check the FAQ for how to enable debug logging.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, on that speed of a machine, you shouldn't have any problems running the server/client on the same machine. I'm doing it with an AMD 3000+, which I think is only 1.8GHz, and it runs perfectly fine for me.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Java 6 works just fine for me using the Auto Aspect Ratio Switcher in SageMC6.3.1. No problems what so ever.
Thanks to your post ke6guj.
I had another look at my problem and found the solution.
I had installed new drivers for my dual dvico fusion and done a rescan of my hdtv fta channels at around the same time as installing the new java and this had created a new frequency file which was named, Bluebird WDM TsCapture1-0 instead of, Bluebird WDM TsCapture-0 and of course this was the one configured in Auto Aspect Ratio Switcher.

Sorry for any confusion all good now, thanks.

Last edited by ozfiles; 01-08-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTuckman

Using just the client is working OK, but every once in a while the UI locks and I have to kill the process and restart Sage. The joy with that is it almost always happens when it is recording something I really like, and then I end up with gaps of a minute or two.
I think the switch you are thinking of is -multi on a SageTV Cient but that one was eliminated when version 4.1 came out.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Any continuing problems should be brought to SageTV's attention -- you can contact support, and check the FAQ for how to enable debug logging.

- Andy
Andy,

I had more or less just given up on the client/server on one machine, and decided to live with the potential of the recordings getting hosed if I have to restart the client. I just didn't think I could handle seeing that AWTThread Hang Detected message one more time!

I guess I will give it a shot again in the next few days, see how it works out.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am using the Firefly IR remote and the new java knocked it out.... or at least it quit working right after installing the java update.

I switched to StephaneM's KeyMapper application and now I have it working better than before as I have defined a few more keys to use.

Sage seems to work fine and I haven't noticed any glitches...

-JD
Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running a fairly vanilla Sate 1.6b19 setup. The only enhancements I have on are the ones that are built in but hidden. I thought I'd just say that JAVA 1.6 did improve my performace significantly in Sage and actually seems to have cleared up some minor stability issues for me. I was running the latest 1.5 before.

I was amazed to see the speed increase on top of the fact that a week ago I finally managed to fully switch my primary monitor over to my Plasma and get all my icons and applications other than Sage to default to opening on my LCD panel instead. This took me from 35-70% processor utilization down to about 12-13%.

Then after a week I found this thread about JAVA 6 and put that on and I'm down to about 10%-11% steady now.

Great update for me thanks for letting us know about it. I hope Sage takes the time to certfify it as I think all users could benefit from this new version.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Any suggestions on if we should upgrade to Ver 6 ? Anything official from SageTV ?

Ken C
Old 02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Sage Icon

If you want it to run faster, version 6 appears to run it faster. I've noticed no problems, but I do not think SageTV has said anything official, as far as using it anyway...
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just did a new install of sage after formatting and cancelled the default install of java from the sage install and only installed version 6 java.
It just seems faster and smoother, been running for around a week, with no problems at all.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

jre 6 improved n fixed things for me

JRE 6 install (and removed 1.46) has fixed a nagging problem that got worse in Sage ver 6 -- namely after a few days (sometimes one day, sometimes several days) or so, CPU usage would go up and tend to hover around 13% when doing nothing (no playback, no recording, no EPG update) when normally it hovers around 0% when doing nothing. In this state the system was sluggish, stuttered a bit. Restart Sage, problem goes away... for a while.
I did not try reinstalling 1.46, so that may have fixed it too...... I had turned on debug logging, but never found anything in the log files that looked like Sage was generating an error or stuck in a loop or whatever.

[Update: oh well, that nagging problem is still there -- but even with the strange 13% load issue, it runs better under JRE6.]

Currently you have to dig for the JAVA SE JRE 6 download:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

TW

Last edited by teedublu; 02-08-2007 at 12:38 PM.