SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Sage User

Ir remote weirdness.

I am having a weird issue with my Hapauge remote.

Every key seem's to work except the volume down key.

This just started out of the blue, and I have no clue how it happened.

Normally ... if you hit the vlume up (or down) key the volume slider shows up, and moves accordingly. THis still works with the volume up, but with the volume down, nothing happens.

I have tried re-binding the key in the detailed set up -> commands area, and here is where it get's even more weird.

If I Bind the key to "volume down" in the sage TV command set up. IT binds as CTRL + ALT. However if I view the command in the viewer it shows up as CTRL+ALT+E. THe Up volume shows up as CTRL+ALT+R in both locations, so I know somehting is getting fowled up somewhere.

I have also checked the .ini file that is in the wondows directory, and it does show up in there for sage TV as CTRL+ALT+E.

Any help anyone could give me would be really appreciated as I am a newbie at this and had just got the machine totally set up the way I wanted it last week, and then this started just a few hours ago.

Any files or configuration log's you need me to include, just ask please and I'll paste them into this thread. It's really starting to get annoying.

I have the 150 card btw if that helps anyone out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Administrator

What version of SageTV are you using? Where are you located? And, what STV are you using?

Oh yeah -- and make sure you've selected the proper remote in Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Remote Control Config.

Edit: Did you mean the remote used to work, but stopped working recently?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Sage User

Sage TV is Version 5.x (not sure beyond that).

I'm in West Virginia (USA).

As far as STV ... Sexually Transmittied Virus lol? (Like I said .. neeewwwbie )

I have extensive background with computers, Bachelors in Comp-sci with 10 years experience, so I got the windows side down and know alot about windows applications in general ... just really new to sage TV and the whole HTPC thing.

Yep, the 45 button Happauge remote is selected. Also, IT is 99% working fine, just that damned volume down button quit doing anything. It tests, like If I go in to see how the buttons are linked, but shows up as CTRL+ALT ... not CTRL+ALT+e like I THINK it should.

I'm fairly certain that the issue is one of two things ... either the IR blaster side is not passing what it should be for the volume down button ... OR sagetv is expecting the wrong thing .... some variation of the whole CTRL+ALT + _ _ _ _ thing.

If I knew what files I could edit and where to look in these files (for both the IR side and the sage side), I might be able to see a mismatch of somekind.

Again, any help you can provide andy would be EXTREMELY appreciated as I'm going on 8 hours mucking with this issue and I'm just about brain numb at this point.

Last edited by mike4352; 12-09-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Is some other app using Ctrl+Alt+E as a hot key for some action? What happens if you use that keystroke via the keyboard?

You could try assigning a different keystroke in irremote.ini (one that isn't assigned to anything already), restarting ir.exe, assigning that keystroke to the volume down command, & see what happens after all that.

Oh -- and STV is the term for the user interface definition file.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Sage User

I did some google searches, and I THINK I understand what STV is now...

IF STV is refering to my cable box, I have an Explorer 3100. I have Sudden Link (Formerly Charter) Digital cable. I have it configured as such. I am bringing S video out of the cable box into the Happauge card, as well as the audio out's going into the happauge card (Happauge 150). From there, I go out from the Computers Video card, and the computers sound card, to a Source selector that has 4 in's and an out. THe Audio goes from the source selector to my sound system. THe Video goes from the source selector to the TV(Via S-video).

Is that what you were asking?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

No, that would be STB, for set top box.

You may have been writing your last post at the same time I was, so be sure to see my reply above your last post.

- Andy
Old 12-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Sage User

NOthing is assigned that I have been able to see .. and when I do either a CTRL+ALT+E or a CTRL+ALT .. nothing appears to happen.

One thing that just dawned on me though, that DID change today.

I changed to a wireless keyboard and MOuse. THe Keyboard does have some of those "special function buttons" up top above the function f1-f12 function-keys though (thing's like search the internet ... play controls ... etc etc) THough when I go in and look at the set up for the keyboard, none of those special buttons appear to be CTRL+ALT or CTRL+ALT+E.

Also, to clarify, if I go in sage TV to detailed setup-> commands and select "link command" .... then move down to the volume down command... and then I select it to configure it ... when I hit the volume down on the remote, what pops up for me to bind is CTRL+ALT. WHen I compare it to the volume up .. what it has configured for it is CTRL+ALT+R ... also the .ini file for the IR blaster has CTRL+ALT+R for the volume up(they match) and CTRL+ALT+E for the volume down (They don't match). However, I can't seem to get the volume down button the remote to Generate anything other than CTRL+ALT when I try to re-link the button ... evey time I Try it just seem's to send only CTRL+ALT.

Is any of this case sensetive? Would it matter if the 'E' is caps in the .ini file or would lower case work just as well?

Just to make sure I understand this correctly ... as long as what is in the .ini file (for the remote in the windows directory) matches what sage TV expects for that action, then it SHOULD work correct?

Are there any sage TV config files I can manually edit to make sure nothing is in there that shouldn't be? Also, is the .ini file in the windoes directory the ONLY file I can manually edit for the IR Blaster?

Last edited by mike4352; 12-09-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Sage User

OK Andy. I fixed it.

Here is what I did. First ... I searched the .ini file untill I found a keystroke combo that was not listed. I used {ctrl}{alt}j .

Secondly, I suspect that you actually do need a hard break after each line. I actually hiy the <enter> key just after the j. then deleted the blank line it created below it. (This is ony speculation... just going pack to parser design here, as typically most need some kind of termination character for a line).

After I did this, I saved the file, then restarted the IRcontroller app.

Then I got back into sage TV, went back in to link the button and BAM ... CTRL+ALT+J showed right up.

It works fine now.

Thank's for all your help Andy, getting with ya on the forums and talking thourh it really helped!

You da man!