SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I just picked up 4 PatersonTech devices, TVTranslator3. This was for my D11-100 boxes I got with my new install the first week of January. I am sending 2 back because they failed (Paterson's device) and they will replace them. They said there is a known issue and suggested I replace all 4.

Other than that, it was an easy install. I also followed their suggestion at getting a USB serial dongle of the same chipset for driver simplicity. I found the BAFO device for about 19/ea

B
Old 01-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleHat
My 'new' receivers are the D11-100. At least, thats what it says on the box the installer left. Tiny little devices compared to everything else in the house.

Did you just say you made a serial cable that controls two units? Does that just plug into one serial port? Or you made two cables... needing two ports?
Sorry Hat, I use a homeade cable for my d10-300 that has the small phone jack on the back of it, I got the cable pinout from dtvcontrol.com.

I use the Pattersontech USB for the d11-500

Hope this clears it up.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ah, good deal then. Thats clear.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I ordered tow of these, nad one BAFO USB-Serial adapter (not two because I thought I had a serial port already, which I dont, turns out its a vga port lol).

Anyhow, I cannot for the life of me get these (either one) to work even with the TV Translator Config utility itself!

1) I install the Config utility and its drivers.

2) I plug the USB-Serial Adapter into the HTPC. Load in drivers for it.

3) I plug the TV Translator V3 into the serial adapter, then plug the USB portion into the D11-100.

Then when I run the config util, it cannot connect to the translator at all. I tried all sorts of things. I tried both translators. I tried reinstalling the tvt drivers, the bafo adapter drivers, nothing!

Then, I unplugged it all, and plugged the backward end (the usb plug of the tv translator) into the HTPC. Left the other end unconnected to anything obviously because the d11 doesnt have a serial port lol.

THEN the config utility 'connected' to the translator. WTF? Thats backwards!!! So I think, ok, so they have their instructions wrong? I plug the serial to usb adapter to the other end to the D11, and well, THAT doesnt work obviously LOL

Anyone who has set these up, what the hell am I doing wrong here????
Old 01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Okie dokie -

By plugging the USB end into your computer, the TV Translator device can be firmware upgraded and configured. XP will assign the device its own com port. When you plug the BAFO converter in, it will get a different com port assigned. This will be the port number you use in SageTV.

PC --> USB Cable for BAFO --> BAFO --> Serial end of TV Translator --> USB to D11

In SageTV configure video sources, I found it easiest to delete the source and reconfigure. After you select tuning source as sat or cable box, you will be asked to select tuning method. I chose DTV serial.

HIH

B

Caveats:

1) I am using Sage 6.0.19
2) I have a TV Translator 3 which is designed for all D11 boxes. If you bought the TT2 make sure you don't have a D11-100 box.
3) If your port number is not 1-4, I entered it on Sage just with the number only. COM6 was entered as 6 on the other line
Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok... I guess thats the confusing part, as the instructions shoulda said that the TV Translation Configuration tool cannot be used when the devices are allsetup the correct way. Because obviously, that doesnt work! LOL

Yeah, when I had the BAFO adapter in, it was COM 3 which I could have selected in SageTV during video setup.

I am using 6.0.19 as well, and I bought the TVT v3 for my D11-100s.

The confusing part was I was trying to see if the TV Translator even worked before I tried setting up sagetv with it. Running into that wall of not even getting a 'connection' response to it with the config utility... well... yeah. Hmm. I will go try setting up like you said, skipping the config utility entirely, and see if sage works it fine itself.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi- same here...spent a couple of days with the instructions on patersontech config utility and guide....took a while to realize that the usb plugs back into your PC for firmware upgrade and configuration- and only then displays the "Connected" in green on the utility-.
Once you download updates and upgrade the device- you can reconfigure the tuner setup in sage and things should work fine

I'm using dual D11-100 with 2 TV translators v3. Good luck! can't comment on the other connector you use - I was lucky to set up the server on a 2 serial port board....
Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Lucky you I've got a machine with a NO serial port board! LOL.

Yeah, patersontech sould really do better information. I read their whole (short) installation guide, which had ONE photo... of a tivo. And I also read the (short) faq page too. Nothing of course mentioned this, now any useful photos or diagrams.

Tech heads and engineers rarely know how to write good information for what they make.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage lost control over DTV boxes- ? intermittent ?

I totally agree that they should provide more installation instructions.

I also noticed that Sage 'lost' control over the DirectTV boxes- and on checking the recordings, realized that the problem had lasted for over a day.....

A PC restart fixed the issue- but just wondering if this is a common feature...I saw another post talk about this as well and will post this question to that user as well....but any input would be appreciated.

PS- using latest Sage6, SageMC and jave updates with updated Patersontech USB translator firmware (v3 for D11-100).

Thanks,
LK.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

After spending a couple days futzing with these TV Translators, USB Serial adpaters, SageTV, the configuration utility, drivers, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling... I still cannot get SageTV to use the connection to my D11-100. I am only just tying ONE right now... holy hell trying to get TWO to work must be even worse.

Hardware in question:
• TV Translator V3 USB
• BAFO BF-810 USB to Serial adapter
• D11-100 DirecTV Receiver
• HTPC with various mixins

To start, there are TWO different connection methods which result in two completely different behaviors:

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt/tvt_connection.gif

CONNECTION METHOD 1 (supposed to allow channel changing)

When the devices are attached via method 1, the BAFO BF-810 shows up in the device manager as assigned to COM 3 with the following settings by default:

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt...icemanager.gif

However running the TV Translator Configuration Utility does NOT connect to the TV Translator:

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt...ig_method1.gif

You can only open the "Test Window" from the "Options" menu at this point (the "Run Test!" is not allowed, greyed out). The test window then looks like this:

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt...st_method1.gif

For some oddball reason, you cannot select either baud rate. They are disabled. Pressing the "Change Channel" button in the test window, WILL make the D11 change between two different channels. So I suppose the test works when it cant connect to it in the main configuration utility window, and 'USB' is red. ?? Whatever. Thats SO clear in the manual and faq pages.

CONNECTION METHOD 2 (supposedly only for updating the hardware)

Setting up the connection backwards with the TV Translator usb connected to the PC, results in the Configuration Utility connecting to the dongle device ONLY. The main window shows:

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt...ig_method2.gif

When you open the "Test Window", it results in:

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt...st_method2.gif

Doing anything in this window does nothing I can see. You cannot run tests, and setting either of those radio options don't appear to do anything because you can't test with the button being disabled!!!???

Going back to the main configuration utility window and trying "Run Test!" from the "Options" menu results in "No serial connection" and "Test Failed".

Updating firmware appears to work only when connected via method 2.

SageTV 6.0.19

In SageTV, it is setup to use the DirecTVSerialControl module, and is set to COM 3, which is what the device manager claims the serial adapter is connected as under method 1.

http://swankyplace.com/forumimgs/tvt/sage_setup.gif

However SageTV does NOT change the channels. Nothing happens. There really isnt any settings I can try within sage regarding this. Clicking on the module in the Source Details results in changing IR signals and stuff, all of which promptly crash into java errors when clicked on.

So, prognosis... I can't get it to work with SageTV for some reason?!

@#&%!@%!%$, I swear people who write docs for their devices simply have no damn clue how to communicate with other human beings.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Update:

I uninstalled everything again, this time I used my old Keyspan USB/Serial adapter. Same crap, SageTV wont change channels through the TVT3. The TV Config Util still does, so it appears the Keyspan usb adapter works, its just sage is being stupid or something. I don't know. Did I miss some obscure driver off some 3 year old thread somewhere that I have to have installed for the latest sage 6.0.19 to work with a directv serial connection??!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay, something is coming back to me...

Two things:

1) Look in c:\program files\sagetv\common is directvserial.dll there? If not, I copied mine from c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv
2) Prior to trying sage TV, I am assuming nothing else is grabbing the comport. You may try a restart if you haven't.

I noticed when I first started playing around the path that SageTV thought the DLL was in, was not the same.

B

EDIT: If #1 solves the issue let us know and we should file a bug report.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi:

Well I'm running 4 of the beasties on my server, 2 from built in com ports & 2 from USB to Serial adapters. So anything I can do to help, just let me know..

From what I saw on your previous post, your connection method 1 is the correct one.

To use their configuration software, You have to plug both the usb & serial ends of the TV Translator into your PC & you have to have the Drivers for the Prolific Chipset installed on your PC (which is what their USB to Serial chip in the TV Translator uses) then your PC will recognize the device & let you upgrade the firmware etc.

Let me know if this helps & whatever else you need to get them up & running !!!

Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use the TV3 usb adapter- on a native serial port. (2 sat boxes and 2 controllers).

I have had the lock up issue only once. I'll start keeping a log if things go wrong every so often. Seemed to work fine for me for about 2-3 days and the link died suddenly....will update if anything comes up.

Good luck with your stuff! Its terribly frustrating to put in so much money on these things and have to contend with everything from bad installation and configuration instructions to bad connectivity. Hopefully Sage or Patersontech will get a handle on the issue soon enough.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

BAFO is what I use with no issue. The driver is the same that came with the TT3. Also, I noticed your firmware on TT3 is 4.11. I am on 4.10. Lastly, try moving your COM port to COM4 or higher, then adjust Sage. Sure sounds like a good old fashion IRQ conflict to me. I noticed you had a COM1 on the machine as well.

B

EDIT: I don't get lock ups either.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
BAFO is what I use with no issue. The driver is the same that came with the TT3. Also, I noticed your firmware on TT3 is 4.11. I am on 4.10. Lastly, try moving your COM port to COM4 or higher, then adjust Sage. Sure sounds like a good old fashion IRQ conflict to me. I noticed you had a COM1 on the machine as well.

B

I'll have to try the higher comport option if I see more lockups- thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins

I dont get lockups... the link just died.

I reverted back to 4.09 as the only firmware options were 4.09 and 4.11. When I had 4.11 setup, it wouldnt 'test' itself. Which was odd.

I dont know WHAT COM1 is used for lol. I have no serial ports.

After I uninstalled that last time and copied over the dll... its on COM4 now already.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi again:

From the sounds of it you also have some "Phantom" com ports.
I had this when I uninstalled & reinstalled a couple of my Rosewill USB to serial Adapters & finallly found these instructions on how to get rid of them.

Once I did my problems stopped ...

Removing "Phantom" COM Ports

The first step of removing the phantom ports is to remove all non-standard COM ports (remove any Multi-port serial adapters from the device manager).

Most likely there are leftover entries in the registry. You can run regedit to remove the extra entries.

NOTE: make a backup of the registry prior to taking any of the following steps. You edit the registry at your own risk.
Run regedit. Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/COM Name Arbiter

Your system probably has:

The Data field of COMDB = FF FF FF 03 (or something similar).

It should have:

COMDB = 03 00 00 00, if you have 2 built-in serial ports (or 01 00 00 00 if you only have one built-in COM port).

NOTE: 03 in binary is 0000 0011 so the lowest bit set (the 1 on the right) means COM1 is in use, and the bit to its left, in the 2 position, means COM2 is set.

You will also want to clean keys for any non-standard serial ports from these places:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/SERIALCOMM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Ports

Once I removed all my "Phantoms" I just started over & things went much more smoothly.

Hope this helps!!

Bruce
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Sage User

I don't have this but read alot about it when I was trying to hook up my DirecTV recievers.

Connection 1 is how you want it when you are using it to change channels on your reciever.

Connection 2 is only used for either testing, setup, or to update the firmware.

From the FAQ's (part of which follow):

It looks like for testing you might need to connect both the usb and serial port to your computer. Since I have never tried this, I am not sure, but that is what it says...

Connnect USB port
Set to correct mode using utility
connect serial port
run test using utility

Also says that units shipped prior to 01/09 are susceptable to failure and to send it back... Maybe you got defective ones.

Hope this helps...

--------------------------
Install the TV Translator Configuration Utility on your PC to verify the TV Translator can "Connect". Note that the USB connector on the TV Translator must be plugged into the PC. Use the utility to make sure you have the TV Translator in the correct mode. H20 Mode is only for the H20-600. If your PC has a serial port, plug the serial connector on the USB TV Translator into it. Then use the Run Test command on the Options menu to thoroughly test the USB TV Translator.

If you can't Connect to the Configuration Utility:

If your PC reports "USB Device Not Recognized" when you plug in the USB TV Translator, the unit has failed. Sent it back to us for replacement. TV3 models shipped before 1/9/07 are susceptible to this failure.
Open the Device Manager (Start->right click My Computer->Properties->Hardware tab->Device Manager). Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)". When you plug in the USB connector on the TV Translator then "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" should appear in this list. If this driver does not appear then it may not be installed properly. Reinstalling the Configuration Utility should install this driver. (Or run "DownloadUsbDriver.exe" in the Configuration Utility installation directory.)
If the Run Test command reports "Serial port not found.": If you know you have a working serial port, then it is probably being used by some other software. For example, if the DirecTV Serial Control Utility is running it will take over ownership of the serial port and not allow the Configuration Utility to use it. Or if you use the serial port with your UPS, it will not be available for other software unless you actually stop the UPS software.

Testing the satellite receiver USB port
Using a PC with a serial port, you can verify your satellite receiver responds to commands on the USB port. The USB TV Translator must be in the correct mode (Normal or H20). Follow these steps:

Connect the USB cable from the USB TV Translator to the DirecTV receiver.
Connect the serial connector on the USB TV Translator to the serial port on your PC. You can use a serial extension cable if necessary.
Start the TV Translator Configuration Utility. It will show that it is Not Connected.
Use the Options menu to open the Test Window. It should report "USB not connnected" and "Serial connected".
Click the Change Channel button. Each time this button is clicked it toggles the receiver between channel 100 and channel 201. These channels are available even without a DirecTV subscription.

-------------------
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs down TT3 locks up again

Hi,
The tv translator v3 locked up again! Restarting sage did not fix the issue...restarting the computer every other day is not the best thing for a media server

Any ideas on how to fix this- I am replacing the current direct tv serial control dll with the older one from October relase version (5).

Since I have two com ports-the usage of higher comport option is not possible....dont understand how to fix this.....any suggestions?
Thanks.