SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Why is SageTV randomly deleting my recordings?

I record from a Satellite system which has no program guide data, so whenever I record something it comes in 2 hour blocks at fixed times and it names the file with some kind of timecode.

SageTV deletes this files occassionally and I have no idea why and it's really pissed me off today because it deleted something very important to me.

Why would the software go and delete these files at all unless I specifically tell it to?

If I go into Windows file explorer and rename these files to something else only then will SageTV not delete it, it's only when they are left in their default timecode file name does SageTV go and delete it anywhere between a couple of days to a week or so later.

Is this some kind of bug in the software?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

A manual recording is normally not deleted automatically at all. Favorites can be marked as auto-deletable. Live TV is normally removed soon after the airing is over, but you can change that by setting the Detailed Setup -> Customize -> "Delete LIve TV files when not using Intelligent Recording" option.

The FAQ thread has an entry on how to turn on debug logging & that should tell why a particular recording is deleted.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

how can I confirm my program is actualy logging stuff now? I added the switch to my properties file but not sure if it worked
Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Sage Icon

Look in your sageTv folder and you should see a file, sagetv_0.txt. That is the log file. Each time you start Sage, it will create a new sagetv_0.txt file, renaming the old ones one number higher. Once the file gets to around 10megs, it will create a new file as well.

IF you don't see this, be sure that Sage is COMPLETELY shut down, service and everything. Then edit the sage.properties (and sageclient.properties if you want client logging) add debug_logging=TRUE . Enter the line exactly as shown. TRUE must be in all CAPS for this property.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

cool thanks, I confirm it is making those files. now I'll record a few segments from satellite and wait till SageTV deletes them. Might take up to a week...

all I do is while on the channel, I press the record button and a menu pops up, I choose the first option which is something like record this now. then it saves it under the folder I specified in setup, with a timecoded filename.

when I view the recording I got to SageTV recordings and there is a folder called No Data, any video recorded from this satellite gets put under there. the timecoded filenames never conflict, so its definitely not overwriting files. its just simply deleting them after a certain time or some certain condition.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Please help - Sage deleting files mysteriously

I have posted about this before but I haven't received any help.

This is a serious issue where SageTV software will just randomly delete some of my manually recorded videos. It seems to happen when a video is about 7 days or older but I really cannot pin it down.

It ONLY happens to videos Sage records from my satellite source, and this satellite source has no EPG data available so everytime I watch something Sage just says "No Data" where it would normally have a show title.

When it records video from this channels when I manually set it to record, it names the file with some kind of timecode, like here is one example:

146366337_1_0426_0200-0.mpg

I once turned on debugging in Sage following someone's advice here but I couldn't catch anything in the log- it's huge anyway so it's a pain trying to find anything in it.

Please is there any update on why Sage does this and how to stop it?

Some info:

Windows XP Professional
SageTV V5.0.492
Java 1.6.0

Last edited by vorius; 04-26-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I merged your new post with your old thread on this topic. As mentioned above, enable logging.

You can send the logs to SageTV tech support for help determining what is happening.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

ok its starting to log now. once i notice videos missing i'll send it, but it may take up to a week before anything goes missing.

thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 PM

it deleted my recordings too

I had about 4gb of one recording for today and another 3gb yesterday, and I programmed SAGETV to write an airing at about 18:00 and then I minimized it left it alone.

When I came back, the two recordings were deleted and the last recording of 18:00 exists.

I moved it out of the folder, just to keep it safe.

The hard disk has 60GB free, but there also two other disks with 40GB. Something else is happening.

nikpel
Greece

PS. I am preparing my log file now.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:37 PM

forgot to tell you

...continuing the previous post:

I had SAGETV MCE 6.0.19 installed and the deletion happened.

I upgraded to 6.1.9 and now recording.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 PM

Posting the log file

Andy,
its just happened a little bit ago. I recorded for about an hour and when clicked standby, and checked again after 1 hour it deleted all the files.

Here is the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (95.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

As I posted above, you can send the logs to support for help.

- Andy