SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 PM

sage hardware advice?

I'm in the process of building a dual tuner media center to replace my direcTV Tivo. Currently using AMD XP 3000, 1GB Ram, ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder, and a 300gb hd. going to install an ATI TV Wonder as a second tuner. also planning to run an RCA DRD420RE reciever (with a low speed data port) and a sony SAT-B2 reciever with a wideband data port. and sage tv v5. will this all work together? any advice would be great before i spend more money and hours with a hopeless project

Thanx

Last edited by Ron4234; 11-21-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator

I would consider skipping using the AIW as a tuner, since it is a software encoder, which may or may not work that well anyway. A hardware encoder will produce a better quality recording while using next to no cpu time in the process.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:23 PM

So should i go with 2 tv wonder VE, or is there a certain card(s) that would be better?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron4234
So should i go with 2 tv wonder VE, or is there a certain card(s) that would be better?
I did some searching on the TV Wonder VE and I couldn't find any indication that it has a hardware encoder. Also most of the comments I read were very negative. There is a good review of available TV tuners at htpcnews.com. This should hopefully get you up to speed. I use the Hauppauge pvr150 and pvr500 (dual tuner) cards. Some people use the ATI Theater 550 pro and maybe the new 650. Nvidia also has a dual tuner card called the DualTV MCE, but there are apparently some drivers problem. Check out the linked article. Hope I didn't muddy the waters too much.

Aloha,
Mike