SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to Underfunded Send a message via AIM to Underfunded Send a message via Yahoo to Underfunded
Trouble with MCE Remote

Hello,
I am a new member to the SageTV world. I have recently built my HTPC and was originally going to use Mediaportal however the difficult EPG in the US wouldn't let me use it. SageTV was great. I installed it and presto the EPG worked great! THANK YOU!

However, I am having a hard time with my remote. I have a Zalman HD160 HTPC case that has a built in VFD/IR that came with a remote that I believe is the MCE style. Only a few of the buttons register in SageTV (up down left right enter) but most don't. I do have a spare remote also (definately a MCE style) that does the same thing. I am running IRTrans (recommended by Zalman) and have all the updates that I have been able to find.

What suggestions do you have to help me with this issue? I have to say the WAF is great on this as long as I can correct this remote.

Thank you,
Ian McLean.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Administrator

If the remote really works just like an MCE remote, then make sure you have selected "MCE Remote" in Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Remote Control Config.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:32 AM
Sage User

I have the same remote and case (actually the same system)
I don't believe that it works exactly the same as microsoft MCE remote that you buy seperately, I think they have different drivers.

The MCE remote we have doesn't seem to work well with anything other than MCE, I have tried it with sage and have a hard time believing that a user would find it acceptable
Therefore I conclude that our remote isn't working as designed.

However I am in the market for another remote to use with SageTV so if anyone has any recomendations I am all ears.

Preferably one that will enable me to use the DVD menus properly, etc etc.

Any of the Harmonys good? This remote software is a sticky situation for me
Old 11-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcguire
However I am in the market for another remote to use with SageTV so if anyone has any recomendations I am all ears.

Preferably one that will enable me to use the DVD menus properly, etc etc.

Any of the Harmonys good? This remote software is a sticky situation for me
There is already a current discussion going on about other remotes, including Harmony remotes here: Remote Control Recommendations. Unless the original poster does so, please don't change the topic of his thread.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underfunded
Hello,
I am a new member to the SageTV world. I have recently built my HTPC and was originally going to use Mediaportal however the difficult EPG in the US wouldn't let me use it. SageTV was great. I installed it and presto the EPG worked great! THANK YOU!

However, I am having a hard time with my remote. I have a Zalman HD160 HTPC case that has a built in VFD/IR that came with a remote that I believe is the MCE style. Only a few of the buttons register in SageTV (up down left right enter) but most don't. I do have a spare remote also (definately a MCE style) that does the same thing. I am running IRTrans (recommended by Zalman) and have all the updates that I have been able to find.

What suggestions do you have to help me with this issue? I have to say the WAF is great on this as long as I can correct this remote.

Thank you,
Ian McLean.
The problem with these are they aren't actually the MCE receiver. That is why you have issues with it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to Underfunded Send a message via AIM to Underfunded Send a message via Yahoo to Underfunded
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
The problem with these are they aren't actually the MCE receiver. That is why you have issues with it.

Gerry

Does anybody know what remote is shipped with the Zalman HD160?

It is the remote pictured here:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/produ.../hd160_08s.jpg

It looks like the Hauppauge 45 button remote... It does have 45 buttons, however, no matter what option I choose in SageTV the only buttons that work are up/down/left/right/enter. IRTrans registers all the commands properly, but it is not linking through to SageTV.

Thank you for your help.
Ian.

EDIT: Just as a note, i am running beta 6.0.14
Old 11-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Sage User

It is the MCE remote, but as Gerry said the receiver is the IRTrans.
If you bought the MCE remote seperately you would get another USB receiver, this is the one which apparently works with sagetv.

I am in the same boat as you

Maybe some clever individual could write an IRtrans plugin?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Sage User

http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index...howtopic=22749

Here is your answer, use this program to map the sagetv keyboard shortcuts.
Works pretty well, although I only have had limited testing time of it.

I got the guide, live tv, recorded tv buttons working within minute or two.

thanks to the guy who wrote this little app
Old 11-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcguire
http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index...howtopic=22749

Here is your answer, use this program to map the sagetv keyboard shortcuts.
Works pretty well, although I only have had limited testing time of it.

I got the guide, live tv, recorded tv buttons working within minute or two.

thanks to the guy who wrote this little app

Excellent find, thank you. I will test this out in a few days. I'm heading out to visit some family for Thanksgiving, then I am working a TON of hours on Friday-Wednesday. I love managing retail (and if i repeat that enough I MAY begin to believe it).

Have a great Thanksgiving everybody.
Ian.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Sage User

You're welcome, now if I could just stop sage from recording everything I look at I will be in business.