SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus
Quick question for you Harmony users. If I got a Harmony remote and a IR reciever (say USBUIRT) what software or driver tells the computer what to do?
The USB-UIRT is only a IR receiver, emitter. So you need :

* a remote to send IR commands to the USB-UIRT
* a software that will translate the IR commands into some action on your PC

As the Harmony can emulate any remote, you don't need specifically a remote to work with the USB-UIRT. In this case you rely completely on the Harmony database regarding what each button press on the Harmony will send. This is why it is better to actuall own a remote so as to be able to teach it to the Harmony if the database is not well enough (For instance my Streamzap remote was not very well reproduced by the Harmony : IR signal sent by the Harmony was way to weak, so I teached the IR command again and all is fine now).

Now when the USB-UIRT will receive an IR command (from whatever remote of you choice emulated by the Harmony), you need a software to map the IR command to a PC action. SageTV already have a USB-UIRT plugin so you'll be able to map a remote button press to a SageTV action. But outside SageTV the USB-UIRT will not work. So it will be difficult for instance to launch SageTV by a button press on your remote. So for this you'll need Girder (or EventGhost).

Then you'll have to evaluate the costs :

* USB-UIRT is 50$ : no remote / IR receiver / IR emitter / needs software (Girder, EventGhost)
* Streamzap is 40$ : remote / IR receveiver / no software needed
* iMon is 60$ : remote / IR receiver / no software needed

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
I set my Harmony up as a MCE remote. I'm using a USBUIRT on the server and the MCE receiver on 3 clients.

Gerry
Thanks, I found about the same thing while searching another website. Are you using MCE? I read that you could just use the MCE remote drivers on XP.

Another option I was looking into is getting a Firefly Mini (cheaper than MCE remote, or USBUIRT) and use that IR reciever.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Another option I was looking into is getting a Firefly Mini (cheaper than MCE remote, or USBUIRT) and use that IR reciever.
I may be wrong (because I don't own this remote), but the Firefly mini cannot be customized at all, so you're stuck with the default buttons configuration (mainly the buttons are sending WM_APPCOMMAND and ohter buttons are dedicated to Beyond TV / Beyond Media).

As you already own a PVR-150, you should use your Hauppauge remote (well if you have a 150 MCE then no remote and go for a Streamzap it's way better thand the Firefly mini).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM
I may be wrong (because I don't own this remote), but the Firefly mini cannot be customized at all, so you're stuck with the default buttons configuration (mainly the buttons are sending WM_APPCOMMAND and ohter buttons are dedicated to Beyond TV / Beyond Media).

As you already own a PVR-150, you should use your Hauppauge remote (well if you have a 150 MCE then no remote and go for a Streamzap it's way better thand the Firefly mini).

Regards,
Stéphane.
I would just use the Mini for the IR reciever, and use a Harmony remote without.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I read that you could just use the MCE remote drivers on XP.
Yes, you can use the MCE remote on both XP PRO and Home. I currently use it on XP Home with Sage's built in support on one machine and the another uses a MCE remote with a USB-UIRT.

The biggest benefit of the USB-UIRT is the fact it will work with practically any remote where as the recievers that come with remotes like the MCE will not. To use them you need to be able to program your remote to emulate the MCE for it to work.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I would just use the Mini for the IR reciever, and use a Harmony remote without.
I'm just guessing, but if you did that the Harmony would need to emulate the firefly mini for it to work with the reciever. I think that would leave you with a very expensive remote that doesn't do much.

The IR recievers that come with remotes like that aren't typically universal so you're going to be much more limited in what you can do than with something like the USB-UIRT.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well this is what got me thinking about it, from Snapstream on the Mini:

"Driver-free installation: just plug Firefly Mini into your PC and it automatically works as a HID device"

I was guessing that you could set up the Harmony to do keyboard commands from that point.

Maybe that is what I was thinking a USUIRT did too, I might just go the MCE route and then get a Harmony, I really just need some more functionality for the PC beyond what the Firefly allows and the ability to turn the Stereo andTV on/off.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
The IR recievers that come with remotes like that aren't typically universal so you're going to be much more limited in what you can do than with something like the USB-UIRT.
It doesn't matter:

* The USB-UIRT does accept all IR codes : that means you can use any remote control with it. Though is it really useful? It is if you are a control freak who need hundreds of buttons for your PC. But really 35 five buttons is more than enough for typical use.

* Streamzap / Firefly Mini / Imon IR receiver will only respond to their respective remote. But it really doesn't matter if you can customize what each button press on the remote will do (also the Streamzap is supposed to accept raw IR but I never managed to make it work).

So this is not the device who is important it's really the software that will handle the device that is :

* USB-UIRT : to be versatile, you need Girder or EventGhost
* Firefly mini : you cannot customize the buttons
* Streamzap : with default software you cannot customize the buttons, but you can with Girder, EventGhost or mine
* Imon : don't know but surely you can with Girder or EventGhost
* Hauppauge remote : you can customize the buttons (the hauppauge software is not that bad but doesn't have any interface for setting up the buttons).

Now the Harmony will only replace the remote that comes with the IR receiver you choose, but all alone will not do anything to customize what a button press will do on your PC. The Harmony is not useful for PC use only : it is useful when you want to control a Home Theatre setup : a TV, a HTPC, a DVD player, a Stereo Receiver, etc... without having to worries about what remote to use of what macro to fire. For instance you can compare the Harmony to any universal remote : it will replace all your remotes. Whereas with traditionnal universal remote you have to choose the "mode" you want to use (eg : the TV) to control one device, or choosing a macro that will do multiple things on multipe device, the Harmony hide this for you :

1) you tell the Harmony what devices you own : your TV, your Stereo Receiver, your PC
2) The Harmony will then suggest you to create activities based on your equipment :
* a "Watch TV" activity
* a "Watch DVD" activity
3) When you choose an activity : the Harmony will turn on all needed devices and map its buttons to the most logical functions for the devices in use based on your choices.
* The "Volume+" / "Volume-" will be mapped to the Stereo receiver remote
* Then "Channel+" / "Channel-" will be mapped to your PC remote
* etc...

Though when dealing with HTPC software you have to be smart with the Harmony, for instance let say you have an Hauppauge remote :

1) Tell the Harmony you own a SageTV Multimedia PC
2) Tell the Harmony you want to turn on / turn off the SageTV Mutlimedia PC (well you want to turn on / off Sage TV not the PC)
3) Tell the Harmony that the "Red" button on the Hauppage Remote will turn on SageTV
4) Tell the Harmony that the "Power" button will turn off SageTV

Now on your PC, you have to customize the "Red" button press to launch SageTV and customize the "Power" button press to exit SageTV. For this you need a software : with the Hauppage Remote this is the Irremote.ini that must be tweaked (kinda easy), with other remotes, use the default software or a alternative software.

What's important is that the "Red" button can also server another purpose once your are running SageTV : it only launch SageTV if SageTV is not running otherwise you can use it for another SageTV command.

That's why you do not need hundreds of button (the Harmony 885 does only have 39 physical buttons + some virtual buttons on the LCD screen).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
"Driver-free installation: just plug Firefly Mini into your PC and it automatically works as a HID device" I was guessing that you could set up the Harmony to do keyboard commands from that point.
Yes, the Harmony will replace the mini remote, but you will not be able to tell what the "Volume+" button should do.

The Firefly mini is like a multimedia keyboard : the "Play" button just do "Play" (the mini is sending a WM_APPCOMMAND / MEDIA_PLAY) and you cannot change that.

Now I don't know if the mini receiver is able to catch other IR command other than the one of the mini remote or if a special driver / software can be used to tweak it...

Quote:
Maybe that is what I was thinking a USUIRT did too, I might just go the MCE route and then get a Harmony, I really just need some more functionality for the PC beyond what the Firefly allows and the ability to turn the Stereo andTV on/off.
The USB-UIRT will accept any IR signals but you still need some software to convert these IR commands into something the PC will do. For instance you can use an Old VCR remote, press a button on this remote, the USB-UIRT will be able to respond to this, SageTV will be able to see it, but you still need Girder (or other) to learn this IR command and associate this with something to do on the PC (sending a keyboard shortcut) outside of SageTV.

Also for the MCE remote, you also need a software to customize it (SageTV can use it natively as well as other apps) but you'll also need Girder or EventGhost to customize it fully.

Otherwise, the Harmony is really what you want regardless of the IR remote / receiver you'll chose for your PC.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It doesn't matter:

* The USB-UIRT does accept all IR codes : that means you can use any remote control with it. Though is it really useful? It is if you are a control freak who need hundreds of buttons for your PC. But really 35 five buttons is more than enough for typical use.
I believe the MCE remote has 41 buttons and it isn't enough for all the commands I would like to have linked in Sage. I don't use girder or any software to control anything outside of Sage. That's just commands within the program.

As I said before being able to use the USB-UIRT with almost any remote is what sets it apart. I can pickup any old remote and set it up to control Sage. It can be the one that came with the TV, DVD, etc... It doesn't have to be a high end PC capable remote with an online database.

For example I have an old One For All remote that isn't designed to be used with a PC. It's strictly for Home Theater use so there is no IR reciever. It has macros, full learning capabilities, 46 buttons, and 6 device modes for a total of +200 seperate commands so it can control everything in a home theatre. It doesn't have the fancy LCD screen, but it can do almost everything the Harmony remotes I've looked at can and I think I paid around $19 for it a few years ago. I don't currently use it because I only have the TV and Sage hooked up and I like the layout and feel of the MCE remote a little better.

It can also be useful for remotes like the MCE where most of the buttons can't be reprogrammed. I can link any button on the remote to any command in Sage without having to use 3rd party apps or drivers.

Also with the USB-UIRT you can setup multiple remotes to control the HTPC at once. So if someone has small children, elderly relatives, or just less technically savy folks in the home you can have your nice full featured remote setup to control Sage and also a stripped down, large button, simple remote for the kids, grandparents, wife, etc....

I know these things don't benefit everyone, but saying there is no advantage to having a USB-UIRT isn't really true. Personally I thought it was worth the extra few dollars for the flexibility it offers. I guess if you plan to run girder or other 3rd party apps it doesn't matter as much, but for those of us who don't want to mess with that stuff and just want more flexibility in Sage the USB-UIRT does have some benefits.

Quote:
* Streamzap / Firefly Mini / Imon IR receiver will only respond to their respective remote. But it really doesn't matter if you can customize what each button press on the remote will do (also the Streamzap is supposed to accept raw IR but I never managed to make it work).
Did you not say the Firefly Mini couldn't be reprogrammed? I know only 3 buttons on the MCE remote can. I don't know anything about the firefly, but can you remap say FF or skip to custom 4 or 5? Map a button to go directly to your recordings, guide, live TV, main menu in sage, dvd, etc... if it has all of those and they work in Sage without having to use a 3rd party app then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by blade; 11-17-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It doesn't have the fancy LCD screen, but it can do almost everything the Harmony remotes I've looked at can and I think I paid around $19 for it a few years ago. I don't currently use it because I only have the TV and Sage hooked up and I like the layout and feel of the MCE remote a little better.
There is no way a One for All could do what the Harmony do. The Harmony is a smart remote that does know the state of all your equipments. Only high end remote with decent software could compete with a Harmony

Quote:
It can also be useful for remotes like the MCE where most of the buttons can't be reprogrammed. I can link any button on the remote to any command in Sage without having to use 3rd party apps or drivers.
This is exactly my point : you need hundreds of IR commands because you do not use any software that let you customize your button press. So my statment is still valid : with a few buttons you can handle most of situation because you are able to customize waht each buttons will do for a specific application.

Quote:
Also with the USB-UIRT you can setup multiple remotes to control the HTPC at once. So if someone has small children, elderly relatives, or just less technically savy folks in the home you can have your nice full featured remote setup to control Sage and also a stripped down, large button, simple remote for the kids, grandparents, wife, etc....
The Harmony do a better job for this, you want to watch the TV, click on "Watch TV" and the Harmony will do its job, and if even something goes wrong, there is a "Help" button that will ask questions to resolve problems, such as : "Is the TV powered On Yes / No". So it's just a matter of answering simple questions. My 60 years old parent can now fully enjoy SageTV whereas they couldn't even power on one of my devices before the Harmony...

Quote:
I know these things don't benefit everyone, but saying there is no advantage to having a USB-UIRT isn't really true. Personally I thought it was worth the extra few dollars for the flexibility it offers. I guess if you plan to run girder or other 3rd party apps it doesn't matter as much, but for those of us who don't want to mess with that stuff and just want more flexibility in Sage the USB-UIRT does have some benefits.
I still think that a remote with a decent customization software and enough buttons is exactly the same thing. Especially if it is easy to setup and customize.

Quote:
Did you not say the Firefly Mini couldn't be reprogrammed? I know only 3 buttons on the MCE remote can. I don't know anything about the firefly, but can you remap say FF or skip to custom 4 or 5?
No, I think you cannot do this with the Firefly mini at least with the default driver (and I don't know if another driver / software exists), so it is not a good choice.
Quote:
Map a button to go directly to your recordings, guide, live TV, main menu in sage, dvd, etc... if it has all of those and they work in Sage without having to use a 3rd party app then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.
Well, this is why I made reference to "control freak" . It's just a question of user preference. I do think that a good remote control solution is the one that doesn't involve many buttons so as childs / parents can use it. Honestly with SageTV I use only :

* Arrow keys and Ok button
* Play / Pause / Stop / Skip Forward / Skip Backward
* Volume Up / Volume Down
* Number buttons

After all you are using a PC : the PC should display detailed menus so as everyone can know what to do instead of searching a button on a remote.

For instance : custom 4 / custom 5 for commercial skipping is not a very intuitive way. I was the one that made the suggestion that the SageMC skin should use the Left and Right arrow keys to skip commercial : why would you need another keys to do this as Left and Right are unused during video / live tv playback...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There is no way a One for All could do what the Harmony do. The Harmony is a smart remote that does know the state of all your equipments. Only high end remote with decent software could compete with a Harmony
If you bother to read what I wrote I said it could do almost everything. It doesn't remember the last state of your devices, but you can program macros to carry out several functions with the press of one button such as turn all the devices on or off and select an input when turning on another device. I know there are things the Harmony can do that mine can't, but mine also cost me a lot less $$. My point is a USB-UIRT will let you use other remotes that are very functional that costs a lot less that aren't specifically designed to be used with a PC.

Quote:
This is exactly my point : you need hundreds of IR commands because you do not use any software that let you customize your button press. So my statment is still valid : with a few buttons you can handle most of situation because you are able to customize waht each buttons will do for a specific application.
How does that have anything to do with your point? First off I use my HTPC remote for nothing but Sage so having software that will modify the functions of buttons by app would not help me in the least. Secondly I said when using the USB-UIRT you can customize what the remote does within Sage without using 3rd party software.

Quote:
The Harmony do a better job for this, you want to watch the TV, click on "Watch TV" and the Harmony will do its job, and if even something goes wrong, there is a "Help" button that will ask questions to resolve problems, such as : "Is the TV powered On Yes / No". So it's just a matter of answering simple questions. My 60 years old parent can now fully enjoy SageTV whereas they couldn't even power on one of my devices before the Harmony...
We'll just have to disagree here. I know very few elderly people who would want to use a remote with a lot of small buttons. I know none of my family does. I also have family that have lost a good portion of their eye sight and they sure aren't going to be able to read a small lcd screen or manage their way around a remote such as the Harmony. Not to mention I wouldn't trust a +$150 remote to a small child, but that's just me. Maybe your kids are extra careful.

Quote:
I still think that a remote with a decent customization software and enough buttons is exactly the same thing. Especially if it is easy to setup and customize.
As I've said before if someone wants to run a 3rd party app there isn't. What you don't seem to realize is that not all of us want to run 3rd party apps just to control Sage or be able to customize what each button does within the program.

Quote:
Well, this is why I made reference to "control freak" . It's just a question of user preference.
I don't think wanting a few buttons mapped so that you can jump straight to the most commonly used functions in Sage instead of going through the menus is being a control freak.

Quote:
I do think that a good remote control solution is the one that doesn't involve many buttons so as childs / parents can use it.
This we agree on, the difference is I would still want a full function remote and a stripped down one for the children, elderly relatives, etc...

Quote:
Honestly with SageTV I use only :

* Arrow keys and Ok button
* Play / Pause / Stop / Skip Forward / Skip Backward
* Volume Up / Volume Down
* Number buttons

After all you are using a PC : the PC should display detailed menus so as everyone can know what to do instead of searching a button on a remote.

For instance : custom 4 / custom 5 for commercial skipping is not a very intuitive way. I was the one that made the suggestion that the SageMC skin should use the Left and Right arrow keys to skip commercial : why would you need another keys to do this as Left and Right are unused during video / live tv playback...
I want more than those basic commands. As for searching for buttons on the remote, that's why I said earlier that having a remote with a layout that allows me to find every button without looking at it is important. I never have to look at the remote and know exactly where every button is because of the layout and difference in shape of every button. It is very easy to tell exactly which button my finger is on and where the one I'm looking for is.

Custom 4/5 are very intuitive for me. They're mapped to the skip forward and skip back buttons on my remote and then I have the FF/RW buttons mapped to those functions in Sage. Personally I'd rather use the skip buttons than the arrows on my remote because to me skip is more intuitive than right arrow when I want to "skip" a commercial.

Not everyone uses a remote like you do. I don't need a remote to turn on 6 devices at once. I just need a basic remote that will work in Sage without 3rd party software. As far as I know nothing else is as customizable as the USB-UIRT when using Sage's built in support and no 3rd party apps.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If you bother to read what I wrote I said it could do almost everything. It doesn't remember the last state of your devices, but you can program macros to carry out several functions with the press of one button such as turn all the devices on or off and select an input when turning on another device.
I bother to read and I'm sorry to offend you. So I'll try to be as clear as possible (English is not my native language so you may see some very directive things where you should not).

Regarding the Harmony I just wanted to be clear that it cannot honestly be compared to other (cheap or not) universal remotes. I owned some other cheap universal remotes with macro etc.. and really I think the Harmony is worth the price it costs (some models are not that expensive).

So for going back to my point and the thread subject : "what is a good remote for SageTV?"

For me the USB-UIRT is not a remote per say, and this where it could lead some confusion for forums readers. The USB-UIRT doesn't come with a remote and people must know that when they purchase this device, it's not just a matter of plug and play.

Instead you have to have an unused remote (be universal or not). And hope that the software you intend to use will be able to handle it. This is the case for SageTV : it let you map SageTV actions to USB-UIRT events.

For all other usage, you need a software.

So don't get me wrong : the USB-UIRT is a good device (moreover it is also a IR blaster), but I really think it is for advanced user (especially if you have to use Girder )

So what are the other simple choices? MCE Remote / Firefly Mini / Streamzap / Imon / Hauppauge remote....

My point was to warn users that some of these remotes are not fully customizable : MCE and Firefly mini. That the Hauppauge remote is fully customizable but it is kinda difficult (as this means manually edit an ini file). For the Streamzap its kinda easy, and for the Imon I don't know.

Quote:
We'll just have to disagree here. I know very few elderly people who would want to use a remote with a lot of small buttons.../...Not to mention I wouldn't trust a +$150 remote to a small child, but that's just me. Maybe your kids are extra careful.
I agree with you for this, the new Harmony are for more younger people (I believe the older models does have a better layout). And I do not have kids, but should I : they will never be allowed to use dady's toys (especially TV, I wouldn't let my kids decide what they want to watch and when) .

Quote:
As I've said before if someone wants to run a 3rd party app there isn't. What you don't seem to realize is that not all of us want to run 3rd party apps just to control Sage or be able to customize what each button does within the program.
I did not want specifically people to run third party apps, but just want to make it clear that I you ever do have to do advanced things you may need a software utility and as such that not all remote comes with a software (native or third party) to customize the remote.

Quote:
I don't think wanting a few buttons mapped so that you can jump straight to the most commonly used functions in Sage instead of going through the menus is being a control freak.
I was using a smiley to indicate that I was joking. But you are certainly freaker than me It is nice to have buttons shortcuts to commonly used functions, but I never need to use them (and neither my relatives) even though they are well visible on the LCD screen of the Harmony. My relatives however do understand very well the arrow keys and navigating through the menu on the TV.

Quote:
I want more than those basic commands.
So you are a control freak <- notice the smiley again

Quote:
As far as I know nothing else is as customizable as the USB-UIRT when using Sage's built in support and no 3rd party apps.
There is one device : an IR Keyboard. I own a Silitek Airboard (I don't use it anymore, I replaced it with a logitech bluetooh mouse + keyboard pack) and universal remote was able to learn it (as far as I know it may be the only device that can bring the computer out of standby with the MCE Remote)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree with most everything you said that time.

My point (which I think you kind of addressed) was that many of the cheaper remotes aren't customizable and require additional software. That is why I still prefer the USB-UIRT with Sage over the IR receiver that comes with most remotes because it does allow the cheap remotes to be fully customized when it comes to controlling Sage without having to fool with something like girder.

I just don't see the point in purchasing a remote with it's own receiver and then program a Harmony to emulate it so that it can interact with the receiver. I'd rather just spend a few extra dollars and get something more universal like the USB-UIRT to use with the Harmony or whatever other remote they plan to use. If you already had the other remote and receiver I could understand having it emulate the remote to work with the receiver.

Quote:
There is one device : an IR Keyboard. I own a Silitek Airboard (I don't use it anymore, I replaced it with a logitech bluetooh mouse + keyboard pack) and universal remote was able to learn it (as far as I know it may be the only device that can bring the computer out of standby with the MCE Remote)
I'm using an MCE remote with the MCE receiver and Sage's built in support and I can place the computer in S3 standby and wake it by pressing the power button on the remote.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
the USB-UIRT with Sage over the IR receiver that comes with most remotes because it does allow the cheap remotes to be fully customized when it comes to controlling Sage without having to fool with something like girder.
Yes but only in SageTV, then you need Girder or EventGhost and I really think those are a bit difficult to master (That's why for instance I created a tool for the Streamzap remote, with the default driver the Streamzap works out of the box and if you need some customization to fulfill your needs then you can use my tool and if this is still not enough then you can mess with Girder)

Quote:
I just don't see the point in purchasing a remote with it's own receiver and then program a Harmony to emulate it so that it can interact with the receiver.
In my case the Harmony does handle more than one device. That said it is still useful to have the original remote just in case the Harmony decides to go on vacation (the kids or the dog : my dog for instance chewed my Firefly ).

Quote:
I'm using an MCE remote with the MCE receiver and Sage's built in support and I can place the computer in S3 standby and wake it by pressing the power button on the remote.
Yes that's what I was saying a IR keyboard and the MCE remote are the only devices that can bring a PC out of standby (don't know for the USB-UIRT)

That reminds me that :

* USB-UIRT will work when the computer goes out of standby
* The streamzap will work when the computer goes out of standby
* The Hauppauge remote will not work when the computer goes out of standby (need to restart IR.exe)
* The MCE remote will work when the computer goes out of stand by.

So yet another thing to check before the "remote of the year" election

Another thing about the Harmony remotes (no I don't work for Logitech ), the tech support is really really great.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Sage Expert

This is a long thread and I kind of skipped a few posts. What I wanted to add is a word of caution with the Harmonies. I've had an ongoing love/hate relationship with my 4 harmony remotes (and have had/tried almost every model). Before I get into that, to answer the original question, IMO the best actual remote model is the 680. It has the most buttons, consumes the least power, has the most intuitive layout (similar to a Tivo series 1 remote which is still the best layout IMO), and is the most "hardy" of the models. As a bonus it works out the box with the cheapest Sage-compatible IR reciever, the MCE one. I am currently using my harmonies with USB-uirt, a MCE 2004 reciever, 2 MCE 2005 reciever and an unbranded serial ir reciever.

Now, my word of caution is about the software that is used to configure the harmony. The remotes themselves are great. Really, bar none, the best remote for the money. It only doesn't work for people who got used to the LCD remotes like the Sony's or Prontos. Personally, I hated the Pronto I used to have. I discovered that I really want hard buttons. For ease of setup, learning codes and basic tasks, the software works fine. But so does any other high-end remote, really. If you want to do any complex, precise, or more than standard configs with it though, expect frustration and pain.

I wrote a thread here, somewhere, when the harmony was still web-based and my frustration was at its breaking point. Harmony support did talk me down from there though, eventually but it took them to custom create a config for me to accomplish a fix. I am still using some of their custom config to this day on all 4 of my remotes because there is still no way to accomplish the things I wanted. There is still no way to back it up, besides creating numberous profiles (I have 23, thank heavens for free email). So if you screw up and submit it (I have done this several times) theres no way to go back unless you have multiple profiles. Now I am not even using my remote to control a zwave or x10 setup (good luck to you if you want to try doing that). So, just a word of caution that the software is remarkably inflexible and it does things as it wants, not as you might want them.

Last edited by silkshadow; 11-18-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
Now I am not even using my remote to control a zwave or x10 setup (good luck to you if you want to try doing that). So, just a word of caution that the software is remarkably inflexible and it does things as it wants, not as you might want them.
I was going to buy the Harmony 890 because of its Z-Wave support.. I tried a 550 before, but took it back because of many issues you listed in your original post. I was just going to suck it up this time and do it.

b
Old 11-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Sage Icon

harmony 880

i love my harmony 880. With the click of 1 button, it turns on 3 devices to all correct inputs, and wakes up my pc out of sleep mode(via usbuirt wake command). It has a tilt sensor that lights up the keys, and of course all my favorite keys are programmed, etc.

Best money ive spent in a while.

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Sage Expert

I have a couple of systems set up using a combination of Home Theater Master MX-500 remotes and infrared keyboard sensors. The combination of the two costs around $100.

I also have a couple of systems using a combination of JP1-enabled One For All remotes and Fusion USB remote sensors. These combos can be had for under $50 and provides an amazing degree of flexibility; the Fusion sensor's software allows you to create application profiles and map button pushes to keystrokes or commands, and let's you toggle between profiles.

I have two other systems using cheap JP1-enabled remotes (around $20 apiece) and USB-UIRTs ($50).
Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Sage User

BTW, Dell is having a sale on the Harmony 880. Got mine shipped for $135, don't know how long the deal will last, though.

Gobble Gobble,
Wade