SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Sage User

Sage TV and Hauppauge-PVR-150 Remote

I recently installed a Hauppauge-PVR-150 capture card w/ remote and it came with a free trial of SageTV (vers. 2.2 i think). The program works somewhat with my remote. After i have opened the app. via the mouse i can do almost everything with my remote, but there are a few things (2 specifically) that i cannot do; 1. I cannot resize the window to full screen mode, and 2. I cannot turn the the apllication on (using the remote controll, it will only open my default Hauppauge viewer). I'm just wandering if there is anyway this can be resolved and i can assume full use of the program with my Hauppauge remote.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

To allow the remote to toggle full screen mode, you would have to assign a button to that function in Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Link command. If the button you want to use doesn't send a keystroke, you would have to edit the Hauppuge remote config file -- irremote.ini, found in your Windows directory.

For the remote to start SageTV, you would also have to edit irremote.ini, or use one of the ini files from the forum -- check post 3 of Hauppauge link 1 in my sig lines.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Sage User

Thanks i got the wake/sleep function working. I have a little problem though. The TV button is set in default to open my Hauppauge viewer. I would like to keep this function, but also set it so when i'm using sagetv i can press this button for fullscreen. Is that possible? Also, i'm wandering if i can use the arrow buttons to navigate through the tv guide. Right now it is set to use the channel up/down buttons. I would like to keep the channel up/down buttons to change the channels, but i want to use the arrow keys to navigate through the guide at the same time.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

The "Radio" button is not assigned to anything within SageTV. I defined that button to toggle Fullscreen mode, and it doesn't interfere with any standard SageTV functionality.

As an aside, I think Hauppauge's biggest mistake was to not let us program the Power button. It is an annoyance to have to keep my TV remote out just to turn it on or off. If I could get the Hauppauge remote's Power button to do it, it would be great, but unfortunatly, it looks like the only solution is to replace the remote altogether....

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Sage User

I don't really want to use the radio button for full screen becuase i plan on making that button the default for opening the radio. Is there a way to make the commands listed in my previous post work?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown6305
Thanks i got the wake/sleep function working. I have a little problem though. The TV button is set in default to open my Hauppauge viewer. I would like to keep this function, but also set it so when i'm using sagetv i can press this button for fullscreen. Is that possible?
Post 1 of Hauppauge link 1 in my sig has documentation about how to edit irremote.ini to make it do quite a bit & how to have it control different apps, depending on which program has focus in Windows.

Quote:
Also, i'm wandering if i can use the arrow buttons to navigate through the tv guide. Right now it is set to use the channel up/down buttons. I would like to keep the channel up/down buttons to change the channels, but i want to use the arrow keys to navigate through the guide at the same time.
I'm not following what you are describing... which remote do you have (45 buttons?) and what STV are you using?

The arrow buttons on the 45-button reomte are used for scrolling around the Program Guide. The chan up/down buttons do double-duty as page up/down when in menus.

The end of chapter 5 of the SageTV PDF manual has a complete list of all commands that you could use.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I'm not following what you are describing... which remote do you have (45 buttons?) and what STV are you using?

The arrow buttons on the 45-button reomte are used for scrolling around the Program Guide. The chan up/down buttons do double-duty as page up/down when in menus.
- Andy
Yeah, I'm using the 45-button remote, I dont know what STV is... but when i hit any of the arrow keys on the remote i get no response from SageTV...

Also, i saw while i was checking out the manual a "tuner control option" in the "Channel Setup" menu. For some reason, i can't access it on my SageTV, it just says "Tuner Control: N/A" and will not let me select it.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using the 45-button remote, I dont know what STV is...
An STV is what defines the entire user interface... if you don't know what it is, then you are most likely using the default UI. (There are customizations available in the customizations section of the forum, but I would suggest getting used to SageTV before changing things like that.)

Quote:
but when i hit any of the arrow keys on the remote i get no response from SageTV...
That sounds like irremote.ini isn't set up to work with SageTV at all, or SageTV doesn't have focus when you are trying to use the remote. This FAQ has some comments about that, but the comments eventually lead to the links I pointed you to.

Quote:
Also, i saw while i was checking out the manual a "tuner control option" in the "Channel Setup" menu. For some reason, i can't access it on my SageTV, it just says "Tuner Control: N/A" and will not let me select it.
Normally, control of an external cable/satellite box would be done while adding a source via the Source Setup process (in Chapter 5 of the PDF manual in your SageTV dir). If it wasn't configured then, there wouldn't be anything for you to later select & change. This would be for controlling an external box via something like an IR blaster or serial connection in order to change the channel on the box.

- Andy
Old 11-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Sage User

Other commands work besides the arrow keys. Its just the arrow keys that do not work. I checked the .ini and SageTV is on there, but i don't see any specs for the arrow keys
Old 11-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Sage User

I tried reading through your links but i have to say that I'm getting totally lost. I can't really decipher the technichal jargon so well. I know that some cammands don't work or work differently when SageTV is not in focus, for instance if i'm browsing the web and watching tv in the background, the channel will not change when I press channel up. I also know that the commands of the remote can be edited in the irremote.iri file. I know that within the file there are a number of programs with their givin commands. But i don't exactly know how those commands work in and out of focus. I realize that the commands in [Default] will work pretty much whenever. I realize this all may seem trivial to you, but it seems pretty complicated to me. Maybe you could walk me through these two scenarios which would help me to better understand:

1) The TV button, by default, opens WinTV2000. Is there a way to make it so that when the SageTV program is in focus, the TV button, instead, gives the full screen command?

2) The arrow keys don't work at all in focus. I would like them to navigate through the menu. Right now, the channel up/channel down keys do the verticle navigation. I would like these keys to act as page up/page down, while still retaining the capacity to change the chanels in the TV view. This will give me an example of assigning two diff. functions to one keystroke.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

In short: the section names in [brackets] are names of programs & when those programs have focus, the button commands in that section are used when you press a button on the remote.

Quote:
1) The TV button, by default, opens WinTV2000. Is there a way to make it so that when the SageTV program is in focus, the TV button, instead, gives the full screen command?
The TV cutton name should be assigned to {ctrl}v in the [SageTV] section. You can either reassign that keystroke in SageTV, or you could change the line in the ini to assign that button to {ctrl}{shift}f

Quote:
2) The arrow keys don't work at all in focus. I would like them to navigate through the menu. Right now, the channel up/channel down keys do the verticle navigation. I would like these keys to act as page up/page down, while still retaining the capacity to change the chanels in the TV view. This will give me an example of assigning two diff. functions to one keystroke.
In the [SageTV] section, what is NAVLEFT assigned to?

Wait... do you have the regular Hauppauge remote that looks like this, or is your remote from a Hauppauge MCE kit?

If you have an MCE kit, then everything I've been saying is meaningless & you just need to go to Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Remote Config, then select "MCE Remote".

- Andy
Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Sage User

Sorry this is kind of unrelated, but is there a command to put windows on standby or even to shut it down completely? I would like to assign these commands to the [Default] using the colored buttons at the bottom of the remote.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi,
The VERY END of the irremote.ini file (in Windows dir.) should be [SageTV] and should include:

GRNPOWER={ctrl}z{mode(Default)}
GO={run(C:\Progra~1\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{mode(SageTV)}

The [Default] section should include:

GRNPOWER={run(C:\Progra~1\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{mode(SageTV)}

These are the MAIN enteries for SageTv----some irremote files don't even have the [SageTV] section in them!! Make sure you have this and it is pointing correctly to your Sage folder.

Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry this is kind of unrelated, but is there a command to put windows on standby or even to shut it down completely? I would like to assign these commands to the [Default] using the colored buttons at the bottom of the remote.
There are probably various utilities to do such things. A quick forum search turned up this one & there are probably others somewhere.

As is pointed out there, you may want to consider using the Dynamic Menus plugin & add a menu option to do something like this instead of having a remote button do it when the cat happens to walk across the remote...

- Andy
Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Sage User

I checked out the post, but i'm looking for directions on a button that will put my comp. on standby preferably, not shutdown. I'm looking for a way to do it without having sagetv open at all. The dynamic menu isn't really what I'm looking for... got any ideas?