SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-14-2006, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

How to find out if local HD channels are encrypted ?

I just picked up a HD box from my cable provider, is there any easy and quick way (without trying to set up the firewire recording first) to find out if the local HD channels are encrypted ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

Plug it into the TV?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 AM
SageTVaholic

What kind of cable box is it?

If it's a SA, on the front panel, press and hold the "Select" button until the envelope icon starts flashing on the front panel. Release the "Select" button, and press the "Info" button to display the diagnostic screens. Tune to a digital channel and page forward to the IEEE information page and there should be something like sre EMI or src CCI and it will either say "Once" or "Free". I'm fairly sure "Free" means unencrypted, and "Once" means encrypted.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin
What kind of cable box is it?

If it's a SA, on the front panel, press and hold the "Select" button until the envelope icon starts flashing on the front panel. Release the "Select" button, and press the "Info" button to display the diagnostic screens. Tune to a digital channel and page forward to the IEEE information page and there should be something like sre EMI or src CCI and it will either say "Once" or "Free". I'm fairly sure "Free" means unencrypted, and "Once" means encrypted.
Thanks a lot Scott, exactly what I was looking for (it's a SA 3250HD). I just checked, and all local channels show 'Free' on EMI and CCI. Oh my, I hope you are correct, that would be so sweet ...

Dirk
Old 10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SS
Plug it into the TV?
That would work if you have a digital cable ready TV. Some HDTVs can only tune over the air HDTV and some have no tuners at all.

Last edited by malore; 10-14-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Thanks a lot Scott, exactly what I was looking for (it's a SA 3250HD). I just checked, and all local channels show 'Free' on EMI and CCI. Oh my, I hope you are correct, that would be so sweet ...

Dirk
I know all local channels are required to be unencrypted for QAM. Not sure if this is different for when you're using a cable box or not...