SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Sage Icon

I been sucking on free breast milk since ver 1.4 so paying a fee for this upgrade is only fair in my eyes

Edit: breast milk, not breast mike

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 10-03-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

$30 is fine right now, but what about the next upgrade?

I'm fine with paying a $30 fee for the upgrade now, after having so many previous versions free to upgrade. My concern is that now that the upgrade policy has changed, will I have to pay another $30 for the next upgrade in 6 months or will I get another year or two before Sage asks for another $30?

This software works well, but I think this policy change will create a gray area between upgrades for new features and upgrades that fix previously advertised ones. Why should someone have to pay money to fix something that was supposed to work when they bought the product.

Like I said, I think the $30 this time is well deserved, but I hope this doesn't start a slipperly slope.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

As I observed a more than fair upgrade policy during the last years I have no doubts at all, that they will find a convenient way to go.
After playing 1 hour with the new beta, I am more than happy with the new features; and yes I love my MVP much more than before.
These 30 bucks were maybe the best I spent, since I started to play with htpcs.

Regards
hoep
Old 10-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Frey,

Since you are charging for the v6 upgrade, will you stop supporting v5? I have problems opened with SageTV Support for v5 and was told they would be fixed in v5.1

I have no problem paying for an upgrade for additional features.

-Polen

Last edited by polen; 10-03-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by polen
Frey,

Since you are charging for the v6 upgrade, will you stop supporting v5? I have problems opened with SageTV Support for v5 and was told they would be fixed in v5.1

I have no problem paying for an upgrade for additional features.

-Polen
There won't be a V5.1 release.

We're still supporting V5.0...it is our current release product. But there will probably not be anymore updates to it released.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210
Mine dates back to version 1.4 but I can understand where some of the newer buyers are coming from... especially those who bought this year.

A fairer way to go would be date based instead of simply version based.
With the way the software is setup for registering keys I doubt that the software could check a persons key by purchase date. Checking by Version number is much easier. I would agree that it would be a better way to go but if they did they would probably have to go through every order placed over the last 12 months manually.

I have been here since 1.4 (right around 2.0 beta) and also have no problem with an upgrade fee and find $30 to be reasonable.

Thanx Sage, Opus and all the Custom Devs for a wonderful product. I will be purchasing and installing this weekend.

PS I just wish you had this ready a little earlier and not right after the start of the Fall season
Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
I been sucking on free breast mike since ver 1.4 so paying a fee for this upgrade is only fair in my eyes
Um...okay, that was weird... I didn't know Mike had breasts?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic
So it's you we have to thank for the beta release.
Like washing the car after months of no rain and then a thunderstorm.
LOL, I was thinking the same thing...or was it that he was cursing the release by waiting?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Will this deal (nov1) still be valid after the beta? I'm not willing to pay more money to upgrade to a beta.

Also, Just because you wanted opinions. I personally find the purchasing of an upgrade from 4.0 a bit over the top. I just started with sage at the very end of v4 about a week before v5 was in beta. It almost feels like i got a few months out of my original liscence.

I am thankful about the client upgrades tho. So i will not complain at all.

So long as we can purchase the ugprade at the promotional price AFTER the 6.0 beta is over. I dont really want to upgrade until i know it is stable.

I suppose purchasing a liscence would be good ahead of time though.. BAH. DECISIONS!

but overall, i'm glad to see 6.0 out. Is there a site for details? I heard it was planned to ditch java?. It does bother me thought that I got a few months out of my liscence and now have to pay more for some fixes that were supposed to be out months ago

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.

Last edited by FidgetyRat; 10-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Um...okay, that was weird...
Thanks for pointing this out
Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

We've all upgraded for free for many years now (3 for me, actually since v1.4)
To be able to develop better softwares, a company has to earn money. So paying 30$ for an upgrade is not too much :-)

As we can see in the forum, there are many people working for SageTV now.
Hey, how many are you?
Anyway, thanks for the good job.

Ferdinand
Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

version 6 work with 5?

I have about 3 server licenses, 3 clients and one placeshifter.

I "think" some were version 5, but not sure... If I upgrade my server, and one client, can I keep the old client on version 5? Just on that client no extra features? or must I upgrade all?

Oh, and I do not mind an upgrade fee, better than an monthly or yearly EPG fee!
Old 10-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
Will this deal (nov1) still be valid after the beta? I'm not willing to pay more money to upgrade to a beta.

So long as we can purchase the ugprade at the promotional price AFTER the 6.0 beta is over. I dont really want to upgrade until i know it is stable.
"** This is a limited time special offer till to November 1, 2006. Normal upgrade pricing is $39.99." I guess you could look at it as, if you don't want to pay for beta, then it'll be $39.99. The promotion is is you are willing to pay now and beta-test, then you'll get a discount of $10.00

Quote:
but overall, i'm glad to see 6.0 out. Is there a site for details? I heard it was planned to ditch java?. It does bother me thought that I got a few months out of my liscence and now have to pay more for some fixes that were supposed to be out months ago
The link to the release, SageTV Version 6.0 Public Beta is Available has most of the details. I don't think they are planning on ditching Java, that was a joke in a thread about off-the-wall stuff.

Yah, it sucks that you got in right at the end of V4, but they have to draw the line somewhere. How about people in the future who buy v6, should they get 1 upgrade free like the v5 people did? See the dilemma? I think now we'll see people argueing that a new release should have been a point release, not a new version release.

Last edited by ke6guj; 10-03-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebuilder
I have about 3 server licenses, 3 clients and one placeshifter.

I "think" some were version 5, but not sure... If I upgrade my server, and one client, can I keep the old client on version 5? Just on that client no extra features? or must I upgrade all?
The clients will have to run v6 also in order to connect to a v6 server, but clients do not need an upgraded license key, as mentioned in the first post.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Sage User

Will the OS X Server and Placeshifter be v5 or v6? That might determine whether I upgrade or not.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Sage Expert

I have no problem paying the upgrade cost....once it is released. Too bad it probably won't be released before 1 Nov. Paying to beta test and help SageTV develop is tough to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie
At first I was mad about the charge for the upgrade... I don't see enough new features to warrant a major rev change. I never really agreed from the jump to from 4 to 5. If I remember correctly it was just adding Studio (which was promised us for how long??? or was that from 3 to 4??) And now all the stuff I see added seems minor to me.. What would be major?? Mabe PIP or fully supported CC?? That might be worth the upgrade. I don't use the placeshifter or MVP stuff.. I don't use the pictures and the music stuff worked fine for me... So the only new features that might be interesting is the HDTV compression...

For some reason I thought sage was always going to give free upgrades.. I don't remember if that was ever said.. But for some reason it's what I was remembering..

Now are all the developers of plugins going to charge too to upgrade their plugins? I guess I just don't agree with charging for any upgrades for any piece of software. ( but that's probably just me) (I'm still using the free version of girder!) Especially since most of the things I like about Sage that differentiates it from software PVR's or DVR's all come from the user plugins. That IMHO makes Sage great.

But I guess that Sage need to make some money too.. I don't see this being a booming business. I'll bet the amount of new subscribers is way down from a couple of years ago.. All the Cable companies and the Dish folks all have their own DVRs. They are much simpler to use. I'll bet they don't have nearly the functionality.. but the ease of use probably wins over more and more folks. And I know my cable provider is slowly taking show off of analog cable and putting them on digital.. When that happens more and more, I may have to punt Sage all together.. (until the cable card pc tuners become real)

But I guess I'll have to try out version 6. I but I have a feeling that I won't be able to go back. Will the WIZ.bin and the properties file be backwards/forwards compatible?

Or will I have to revert to a pre 6 Ghost image?

I guess I'm alone here since no one else has complained yet.. The more I think about it the less mad I get... My wife will probably just tell me to shut up and pay the $30!

Jim "my 2 cents"
Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Sage Expert

Nice comments. I wonder also what the support level will be like for those who do not upgrade. In the past SageTV support has always had me upgrade to the latest prior to providing me support. It was always free so ... no problem. Now will they support V5 after V6 is released non-beta without forcing upgrade? I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM
Hello All,

I'm certainly not opposed to an upgrade fee, and it seems to me that the price is right (current discounted and normal price).

However in my case : I purchased SageTV in April 2006, so it is a version 4 key, and as such I will need to purchase an upgrade key. It seems to me that it is way to soon for an upgrade fee. I'll purchase the upgrade key without problems but I think that for each major update, the upgrad should be free if you purchased SageTV within the year... (Again in my case I purchase V4 because V5 was under beta testing with DVB-T preliminary support).

Althoug does the purchase of the V6 upgrade key invalidate the previous key. That is : if I bought the upgrade key and play with the beta (on another PC that my HTPC), will I be able to still use my previous key on my HTPC until I upgrade it (of course when I use my test PC I always shut down SageTV on my HTPC).

Best Regards,
Stéphane.

Last edited by Deadbolt; 10-03-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Rolling Back

I am in the middle of upgrading to 6.0
I was wondering if I choose to roll back to 5.0 (uninstall 6.0 and reinstall 5.04)
will I have a problem with my 2.0 registration key? Will sage ask for my original keys?

Ok first thing I noticed is my colored stramzap buttons don't seem to work.
When I click any of them the reminder that I am in trial mode pops up.
Any suggestions?

EDIT: Rolling back does not prompt for keys :-)
I will wait for the next few beta releases before trying this again but if someone can answer my question about the streamzap button mapping... have the event numbers changed or was I getting prompted to register because the streamzap function was crippled in trial mode???
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 10-03-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
The clients will have to run v6 also in order to connect to a v6 server, but clients do not need an upgraded license key, as mentioned in the first post.

- Andy
Thanks!

Oh.. one more thing... What if you run a server as a client? I use one of my server licenses as a client/sage recorder. I am updating my test machine on my other license to check it out!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
I am in the middle of upgrading to 6.0
I was wondering if I choose to roll back to 5.0 (uninstall 6.0 and reinstall 5.04)
will I have a problem with my 2.0 registration key? Will sage ask for my original keys?

Ok first thing I noticed is my colored stramzap buttons don't seem to work.
When I click any of them the reminder that I am in trial mode pops up.
Any suggestions?

EDIT: Rolling back does not prompt for keys :-)
I will wait for the next few beta releases before trying this again but if someone can answer my question about the streamzap button mapping... have the event numbers changed or was I getting prompted to register because the streamzap function was crippled in trial mode???
Your safest and best bet, would be to do an image of your drive, provided you have that capability.

If I get some time in the next couple weeks to play around, that is what I'll probably do, then reverting back is as simple as restoring an image in less than 10 minutes...