SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
None.
Doh!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Sage Expert

42?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

At first I was mad about the charge for the upgrade... I don't see enough new features to warrant a major rev change. I never really agreed from the jump to from 4 to 5. If I remember correctly it was just adding Studio (which was promised us for how long??? or was that from 3 to 4??) And now all the stuff I see added seems minor to me.. What would be major?? Mabe PIP or fully supported CC?? That might be worth the upgrade. I don't use the placeshifter or MVP stuff.. I don't use the pictures and the music stuff worked fine for me... So the only new features that might be interesting is the HDTV compression...

For some reason I thought sage was always going to give free upgrades.. I don't remember if that was ever said.. But for some reason it's what I was remembering..

Now are all the developers of plugins going to charge too to upgrade their plugins? I guess I just don't agree with charging for any upgrades for any piece of software. ( but that's probably just me) (I'm still using the free version of girder!) Especially since most of the things I like about Sage that differentiates it from software PVR's or DVR's all come from the user plugins. That IMHO makes Sage great.

But I guess that Sage need to make some money too.. I don't see this being a booming business. I'll bet the amount of new subscribers is way down from a couple of years ago.. All the Cable companies and the Dish folks all have their own DVRs. They are much simpler to use. I'll bet they don't have nearly the functionality.. but the ease of use probably wins over more and more folks. And I know my cable provider is slowly taking show off of analog cable and putting them on digital.. When that happens more and more, I may have to punt Sage all together.. (until the cable card pc tuners become real)

But I guess I'll have to try out version 6. I but I have a feeling that I won't be able to go back. Will the WIZ.bin and the properties file be backwards/forwards compatible?

Or will I have to revert to a pre 6 Ghost image?

I guess I'm alone here since no one else has complained yet.. The more I think about it the less mad I get... My wife will probably just tell me to shut up and pay the $30!

Jim "my 2 cents"
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think I would be mad if I had to pay the full $79.00. $30 is not too much to ask. If you look at any other software package (antivirus) they ding you $30 every year..

Technazz
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

Well, if it says anything about their popularity...

On 12/2004, my order number was 7152.

On 10/2006, my order number was 17119.

And that probably doesn't count the orders from third parties.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Well, if it says anything about their popularity...

On 12/2004, my order number was 7152.

On 10/2006, my order number was 17119.

And that probably doesn't count the orders from third parties.
Well my first client order was 1335 version 1.4.

But my server was before they had order numbers:
Item Name: SageTV V1.3 Software
Item Number: STV10
Item Amount: $59.95
Quantity: 1
Total: $59.95
Which could only be purchased through Paypal-those were the days!

I'll gladly pay the update. You couldn't honestly expect the free ride to last forever. It was great while it lasted. Looking forward to all the goodies.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Well my first client order was 1335 version 1.4.
That's funny -- I looked up my first order & found it was number 1337.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
That's funny -- I looked up my first order & found it was number 1337.

- Andy
Yeah-but you got me on posts.

And I just got my upgrade key.

Let the games begin!

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie
At first I was mad about the charge for the upgrade... I don't see enough new features to warrant a major rev change. I never really agreed from the jump to from 4 to 5. If I remember correctly it was just adding Studio (which was promised us for how long??? or was that from 3 to 4??) And now all the stuff I see added seems minor to me.. What would be major?? Mabe PIP or fully supported CC?? That might be worth the upgrade. I don't use the placeshifter or MVP stuff.. I don't use the pictures and the music stuff worked fine for me... So the only new features that might be interesting is the HDTV compression...

For some reason I thought sage was always going to give free upgrades.. I don't remember if that was ever said.. But for some reason it's what I was remembering..

Now are all the developers of plugins going to charge too to upgrade their plugins? I guess I just don't agree with charging for any upgrades for any piece of software. ( but that's probably just me) (I'm still using the free version of girder!) Especially since most of the things I like about Sage that differentiates it from software PVR's or DVR's all come from the user plugins. That IMHO makes Sage great.

But I guess that Sage need to make some money too.. I don't see this being a booming business. I'll bet the amount of new subscribers is way down from a couple of years ago.. All the Cable companies and the Dish folks all have their own DVRs. They are much simpler to use. I'll bet they don't have nearly the functionality.. but the ease of use probably wins over more and more folks. And I know my cable provider is slowly taking show off of analog cable and putting them on digital.. When that happens more and more, I may have to punt Sage all together.. (until the cable card pc tuners become real)

But I guess I'll have to try out version 6. I but I have a feeling that I won't be able to go back. Will the WIZ.bin and the properties file be backwards/forwards compatible?

Or will I have to revert to a pre 6 Ghost image?

I guess I'm alone here since no one else has complained yet.. The more I think about it the less mad I get... My wife will probably just tell me to shut up and pay the $30!

Jim "my 2 cents"
Are you kidding? How are these guys supposed to eat? I pay $100 to upgrade my copy of comicbase. That's one hundred dollars each year for two upgrades. I paid $300 for version 9. $100 for version 10 and now $100 for version 11.

I pay $150 for my Intellij Idea upgrades.

Sage is a steal.

We've gotten upgrades since v1. I've gotten upgrades since version 1.4. That puts my back at 2003 and you mind $30?

Come on.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But my server was before they had order numbers:
I was just going to say, what about those of us who ordered before there were order numbers

Code:
SHOPPING CART CONTENTS:

Item Name:   SageTV V1.2.8 Software
Wow, didn't realize I'd been running Sage that long
Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yeah-but you got me on posts.

And I just got my upgrade key.

Let the games begin!

Gerry
I think you missed the Andy's point with the 1337. He's Leet and Sage knew it, even way back then
Old 10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
I think you missed the Andy's point with the 1337. He's Leet and Sage knew it, even way back then
Damn-behind the curve again.

Gerry
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj

OK, so my point was that my order was 2 behind Gerry's, but I found your link to be even funnier!

But, then... ... I read some more of that link and noticed it said:
Quote:
...it is not uncommon to find it used in an ironic, derogatory manner.
... and found my good humor dashed again by the cruelty of fate.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Sage Icon

Question pre-v5 key?

I was positive mine was a v5 since I got it when I made my initial purchase of 5.0.x from Sage. did I miss something?

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
I was positive mine was a v5 since I got it when I made my initial purchase of 5.0.x from Sage. did I miss something?
If you have a question about your current license, you'll need to contact SageTV directly with your purchase details.

- Andy
Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Sage User

I've been using Sage for quite a while... I don't know the version of Sage I first bought, but my first client license is v 1.3.8. Here in the U.S. Virgin Islands we cannot have Tivo and until this year we did not 'legally' get Dish TV, and DirectTV only got here last month. I have used Sage for so long that I feel rather cheap... I'll gladly pony up to keep up.

Last edited by wrwaugh; 10-02-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Sage Icon

LOL, Leet...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Sage Icon

haha...im with stranger. Jeff stole me from the x-epg.net forums in the 0.x beta days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I was just going to say, what about those of us who ordered before there were order numbers

Code:
SHOPPING CART CONTENTS:

Item Name:   SageTV V1.2.8 Software
Wow, didn't realize I'd been running Sage that long

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
I bought a key back in the version 3 days
I was wrong, I went to create a new version 6 folder in my archive and found a version 1.4 folder siting there. Now I feel old. I guess I didn't buy till 2.0 though as my first order number was 4091

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic
Don't wait too long...
Just ordered, just recieved my key.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Sage Icon

I have SageTV since 2.0, 2 years and 2 months ago. I also have a placeshifter licence.

I am more than happy to chip in with $30 for what I consider a significant improvement(at least on paper ). I bought the upgrade key without even checking the User Guide or even installing the beta. This will happen tonite.

I have to say that the policy is fine and this level of treatment of customers by SageTV is what makes me loyal.

I can't reasonably expect to pay nothing and have a growing solution.
If SageTV don't make money out of this then eventually there will be a dead end and then we will be forced to move to something else.....