SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
SageTV Version 6 Public Beta Has Begun

Hello everyone, and welcome to another round of public beta testing with SageTV.

New Features for SageTV Version 6.0

Major Features
19. Support for converting files to play on a PSP, iPod or cell phone (3GP/MPEG4)
20. Support for compressing HDTV recordings to MPEG4 while preserving the AC3 surround sound
21. Support for converting any imported file to MPEG4
We hope you enjoy this new version of SageTV. Thanks in advance for your assistance in beta testing.
Okay. Does this mean that I can compress Sage recordings and archived data into divx?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

How'd you guys know it was my birthday tomorrow?? Thanks!

Also, is the Locator service down right now? I'm trying to test my Placeshifter connection and it's coming back with an error saying "Could not connect to the Locator server."
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex

or

2) A SageTV Media Center license key from Verion 4 or earlier AND a Version 6 upgrade key.

Does this mean that whenever I re-install or upgrade I'll have to enter two license keys from now on?

Scott
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard
Does this mean that whenever I re-install or upgrade I'll have to enter two license keys from now on?

Scott
No, it looks like the upgrade license is all you need... (At least that's all I needed).
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 10-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

The aspect ratio stuff doesn't seem to do anything on the mvp... Also, the transcoding quality is much lower (and lower CPU), and noticed this in the the client properties file :

miniclient/conservative_transcode_mode=SVCD

Is there a manual yet? And what should this be set to for highest quality transcoding?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth
The aspect ratio stuff doesn't seem to do anything on the mvp... Also, the transcoding quality is much lower (and lower CPU), and noticed this in the the client properties file :

miniclient/conservative_transcode_mode=SVCD

Is there a manual yet? And what should this be set to for highest quality transcoding?
Since you've installed it already, the manual is in your SageTV directory. Check out the new options in Detailed Setup (Advanced, I think) to change that one. But, it should be listed in chapter 8.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
Wow, this looks amazing. You guys have been very busy! I have no problems with claling this a major update and charging for the upgrade. This is a huge leap forward in media center support - it may get me back to Sage after defecting to MCE!

A few questions:

1) Does the music player have bitperfect support if the sound card driver supports ks or ASIO?

2) Have you tested all this with purevideo support in the DVD and Video player?
Works great.

Quote:
3) Can the server transcode video on the fly to extenders, even if the source video is HD (that is, transrate it down to SD). This would help avoid the need to store both an HD copy of the program and an SD copy.
It can, but you'll need significant server horsepower. I think it might be disabled by default as well.

Quote:
4) Is there a new GUI? Are there screenshots available that show all the improvments you've made? I prefer an MCE like interface, but maybe we'll see a SageMC skin for 6.0 show up if you guys don't make that you're default.
It's very much a SageTV feel, no major MCE-like changes to the UI. Users of the stock Sage interface will fell right at home. Though in the media areas there are some significant changes, that are, well, kind of hard to explain.

Quote:
5) Does the new DVD and Video library support internet lookup of meta-data like the My Movies 2 plug in for MCE?
Not natively.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Kewl feature list: I have a couple questions that I would like to know before purchasing a SW upgrade:
#1 any new hardware requirements? I have 1 dedicated Sage server with a AMD 2500 Sempron, lets say I am transcoding some files to Mpeg4 through the UI, while watching MP4 videos on 1 regular client and 2 MVPs. What kind of horsepower is needed on the server?

#2 Can an older style MVP (no native 5.1 support) play un-encrypted DVDs from from DVD ROM drive in server and/or transcode those files to mpeg4? Can it do this from Hard Disk file?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Sage Expert

Just for clarification...Sage recordings(including archive files) can now be compressed into divx?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
Just for clarification...Sage recordings(including archive files) can now be compressed into divx?
I did one conversion (AVI Deinterlaced High Quality or thereabouts), and I show it as Xvid. Quality was pretty poor however, it took an 800MB half hour show, and took it down to like 200MB. Haven't really looked into the options, hopefully some lesser compression than that is possible.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yay! Its Here!

Lots of good things added. I was still hoping for animated gif support and image cache control. Maybe next release....
Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

.... and QAM support

Something to look forward to in 6.12??
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well this is one hell of an upgrade. Well worth $30! Cant wait to try it out.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am just dissappointed that there isn't a new GUI. I really like the functionality of SageTV but never really liked the GUI. (I'm spoiled by OSX Gui's I guess...)

Also, I feel that a new GUI can breath new life into an existing product every now and then.

Is there ANY chance that a new GUI might be slipped in before SageTV 6 is released? ;-)
Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

is there any plans to support MCE blasters?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1
Well this is one hell of an upgrade. Well worth $30!
After doing a little testing and poking around, I agree 100%!

Last edited by Enormous; 10-07-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Couple of questions. A while back I had a problem with sage loosing video. The screen would go black while audio would continue normally. After sending some log files to sage betatest they respnded with:

Quote:
OK, this is a bug related to the use of 3D acceleration that's already
>>been fixed for V5.1.
I still cannot use FSE on one of my machines because of this. Any chance it has been fixed?

I am also wondering what, exactly, this means:

Quote:
28. Official support of Full Screen Exclusive mode on Windows
Thanks and keep up the good work!

Jesse
Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I just did a test installation with my existing wiz.bin, and SageTV performed a database 'conversion' at startup. Is the converted wiz.bin still compatible with 5.0, allowing me to switch back to the old installation if necessary ?

Dirk
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
I just did a test installation with my existing wiz.bin, and SageTV performed a database 'conversion' at startup. Is the converted wiz.bin still compatible with 5.0, allowing me to switch back to the old installation if necessary ?
No, it is not backward compatible. But, SageTV creates a backup of your old wiz.bin & properties files automatically every time you run a newer version, and/or you would make a backup before installation.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar

Dirk

No going back! You've got to update SageMC 6.12a to 7.0!