SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Sage User

Can I capture OTA HD, and play through MVP?

It says the media MVP can play MPEG4. I've never done anything with HD, so I don't know much about it. I'm wondering if it is possible to capture the over the air HD signal send it to a HD tuner card in my PC, and ultimately play it back via the MVP.

I have an SD TV. Currently I just output the composite video/audio out of the MVP into my TV.

If this is possible, what all do I need to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

PS: A tip for MVP users to consider: Everyone knows the MVP picture is dark. I send the composite to a VCR, and then send it from the VCR to my TV. Works great at amplifying the video. Very hard to tell the difference between real live TV and my recorded TV.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

The MVP can't really play MPEG4, it relies on the host PC to transcode it to MPEG2 - which is the only video format it can decode.

OTA HD is MPEG2. Satellite HD can be MPEG2 or MPEG4, but to capture Sat HD you need an R5000 modded receiver.

Sage's built in transcoder will downsample OTA HD to the MVP, but it takes a very powerful computer. My AMD Athlon 3800+ can't do it in real time.

-Chris