SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Swapping to new Computer

Tried searching, but gave up after awhile...

Here's my dilema.

I have lic ver Sage & Placeshifter on a single machine - a shuttle small toaster oven built in 2003. Runs 24/7 without a hitch with a single Haup PVR150.

I have almost completed a new HTPC (I shoehorned in a a p4 into an circa 1985 old Stereo Amp). Anyway, I need to swap out the Tuner card & Sage into the new one.

The problem.

I need to keep the the old software up on the breadbox shuttle, as it will move upstairs to the bedroom as the newer pc takes its spot in the AV rack, nice and stealthy.

I want to get Sage5 up and running AND still have the ability to view the 80Gb of data still on the shuttle.

With my current license, can I just install Sage with my old product license AND still run Sage using the existing license for the 2 weeks it takes me to clear shows? I do NOT want to try and move all the files over from one pc to the other as I dont care if I loose any of the porograms, I just need to time to catch up to real time programing. I'm about 2 weeks behind real time in all my shows - I blame the 16mo old for this dilema!

Can I even install the new Sage on my network with the same product license key? Can I just use -REGISTER command to pull license and use the client version for the 15day trial on the old shuttle and hope I watch all programming in that 15day window? For the record, the $29 PS key won't work on the SageClient ver, I tried.

Also, was wondering, for the client version, how to run a remote, as the remote is from the Hauppage card, which is in the living room. When I move a new PC into the bedroom, I guess I'd need a way to use the remote. Or should I just go ahead and buy another PVR card and then buy another full ver of Sage.

PS There is no room in either HTPC to stick a second tuner card - only 1 free PCI slot in both. The PVR500 does not work in a single system due to lack of tyhe IR port (it's made for WIndowsMCE).

Thanks,

Cab

Any ideas out there??
Old 10-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Sage Icon

Post is a little confusing as to exactly what you want to do.

Is the Shuttle still going to be used as an HTPC at all afterwards? If not, then you should be able to just ininstall Sage on the shuttle,, or have it set to not start. That way you wouldn't have a license problem. IF the SHuttle has Sage running, then you would probably have a problem trying to install on the new unit with the same license.

YOu should be able to share the old recording folder on the shuttle and on the new unit either map to it as an imported video folder, or as a recording folder. IF you aren't worried about seeing all the recording info, then as an import would be eaiser. IF having all the recording info is important, then adding in the folder as a recording folder would be the way to go. A little harder to set up and keep the shows linked in Sage, but doable.

But, if you are talking about having Sage upstairs and down, then you have a couple options.

YOu could put all tuners in one box, the 'server' and run a full copy of Sage on that. USB tuners and PVR500's are good.
Quote:
The PVR500 does not work in a single system due to lack of tyhe IR port (it's made for WIndowsMCE).
PVR500's will work in a single tuner system just fine. You just have to supply some other way to control it. YOu can use a USB-UIRT IR receiver instead of the hauppauge IR unit.

Or, you could run 2 copies of SageTV full versions, one as a master server, and the second as a network encoding server. That way you can have 1 tuner in each box.

But, if it were me, I'd decide if I wanted my new box to be my main Sage computer, on all the time, and powerfull enough to transcode for the placeshifter client. If so, I'd set up the new box, copy all the recordings onto its HD, making sure its in the same Drive letter and folder as before. THen install Sage and configure it pointing to the folder with all the recordings. Get it all set up, then shut down Sage and replace the wiz.bin with the one from the Shuttle. Restart Sage, and all your recordings, favorites, and history should be all there.

Then decide what you want to do with the Shuttle. Uninstall Sage and install SageClient with a license if you just want a client. IF you are just going to set it up as a client without tuners, then you will need to get some sort of remote control setup. Information Resources for Remotes, Receivers, and IR Blasters USB-UIRT's are popular or some sort of MCE remote setup.

Or if you want to set it up as a network encoder, then you will need to get a second license for the full version of SageTV. With that license, you could try to update the license on the Shuttle, or if you planned ahead enough, then just use the new license on the new box you just built.

Last edited by ke6guj; 10-02-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Wow. Thanks for the info!!

Well, the USB-UIRT is quite abit more than I wanted to spend. So I think I'm going to drop and punt for now. Maybe it's best just to go ahead and spend about the same for another tuner.

Thanks again for the awesome links!

EDIT:

Well after searchign abit, it appears in lieu of getting the USB-UIRT you could buy the MCE remote for $20 less which comes with the receiver. Then I found this guy even cheaper (< $20) which is a clone of the MCE with an included IR Receiver.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826557004

I happen to have a second Haup remote - the 45button one. Anybody know if you could use the MCE receiver with any other remote control - specifically the Hauppage 45 button one?? Or does the included iR receiver ONLY work with that specific remote controller??

Edit #2

what I'm thinking of doing is rigging up the iR receiver on the second pc in the bedroom and just get a SageClient license, so all told for about $50.

Last edited by Cabalsan; 10-02-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

If you're looking for another tuner card, I just picked one of these up, and it also comes with an MCE remote and receiver.

PVR-150 sale $59.99 after rebate
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Great find!

But I think thats just the MCE ver, which is supposed to be use with WindowsMCE ... so not for the DIY in WindowsXP pro. I dunno. I could be wrong.

Has anyone used the MCE Haup in a NON MCE install and got the Haup remotes to work??

Last edited by Cabalsan; 10-02-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalsan
Great find!

But I think thats just the MCE ver, which is supposed to be use with WindowsMCE ... so not for the DIY in WindowsXP pro. I dunno. I could be wrong.

Has anyone used the MCE Haup in a NON MCE install and got the Haup remotes to work??
The MCE versions work just fine in standard XP. Sage even supports using the MCE remote. There may be some tweaks required to make it IR blast to an STB, but I think I read taht people have that working now.

As for the remote in that package, it is an MCE receiver and remote. I don't know if you could use your 45-button hauppauge remote instead of the MCE remote on the included MCE receiver.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

excellent.

Just 1 question: whats an STB??
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Sage Icon

STB = Set top box, ie. cable box or satellite receiver.