SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Placeshifter suddenly closes after short playtime

I finally upgraded from V4 to V5 to give the placeshifter a try. I can connect no problem, menus come through perfectly and system responds well. However, after playing a show for a short time, usually between 1-3 minutes, the display just closes. No error message, nothing, just dumps me back to the placeshifter server manager menu.

I can reconnect immediately, and start playing a show again, but then the stop just happens again.

I'm on a cable modem at home, and a T1 where I'm using the placeshifter. I thought maybe I was pulling too much so I manually decreased the settings of the video and audio. It kept closing, I finally minimized all values to their lowest quality settings and it still does it.

I've remoted into the server and watched the task manager while I was connected on placeshifter and it's not making much of a dent in my system resources, so it doesn't appear I'm overworking the server.

Has anyone else had similar issues or does anyone have any ideas of something else I could try?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

I would take a look on your router or firewall to see if something is configured there causing this to happen. Or look at how the public IP is being provided that you're using.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

What else could I configure on the router? I opened up the ports and forwarded them. The sage port test completes successfully, and connecting to the server works fine. Video will play for the short period of time, but then suddenly the whole thing stops.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure. Are there any rules in place on the router? Does you router also include a firewall which is also enabled? This is tough because it does make the connection. Is your DHCP lease time so short that it renews and PC loses the connection? Have you configured Placeshifter client on your LAN and do you have the same issue?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

IP is static, there's no rules and the only specialized port forwards going on are the placeshifter port and the remote desktop port. I can connect to remote desktop without problem and remain connected while the placeshifter stops. So I don't think there's a connection issue or both the remote desktop and placeshifter would be cut off.

I don't have any other pc's so there's no way of testing a local placeshift. I do have an mvp that works fine, it's presently unplugged to prevent it from using up my license though.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Another thing to look at is the version of java. I had a stability issue with Placeshifter (quiting to desktop after a while, but much longer than your 3 minutes) with the latest version of Java so I went back to version 1.5.0_05 mentioned here:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...9&postcount=42