SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can you setup sage with two sources, but only have it record from one?

This seems a bit of a silly question... however I have to ask it.

Say I have this setup:
2 dish boxes going into two Hauppauge 150 cards (or one 500 card).

Now, what if I want sage to ONLY be able to record shows off one of the input sources, but not the other, however allow "Watching Live TV" from the second?

Why? Well, say for instance you have the upstairs TV sharing the second dish box signal with an IR/RF transmitter, so the person upstairs will be changing channels to watch on the tv upstairs. However, sage likes to go and automatically record shows it has setup as favorites etc... but I wouldn't want it to record from the box that 'could' be being messed with by the person upstairs.

Does any of this make sense yet?

However, maybe a show is recording on the monitor downstairs, but I want to watch a different show live on the second input (which is the same input as upstairs, but no one is watching upstairs at the moment).

Hehe...

God, why cant all these stupid satellite companies just make a damned box that allows watching multiple channels without charging an extra 5$ a month for that !!! grrr... its the #1 leading factor why I have yet to subscribe to any sat-tv services. I like the freedom of my analog cable... but I hate its quality hah.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

Sage will use both if you have them setup as sources no matter what. However, if you are changing the channel from inside Sage then Sage will display only from an available tuner. So it shouldn't matter which box it is using. Unless you also use the box directly to the TV. In this case the only thing you can do to minize conflicts is to set the merit of the dedicated tuner higher then the one connected to the TV.

My reccomendation is to either live with one tuner, pay the extra 5 bucks for an addition box or live with analog cable quality and use a splitter.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Heh.

Gonna live with cable quality for a bit longer. If I see a smoking deal for dish/direct/whomever where the extra $10 a month on top of the already bloated pricing is worth it, then I will make the switch.

Then I'll have to learn how to get a blaster working for at least two boxes... gads almighty.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you are look at HD content, then make sure Dish has local channels in HD for your area. Your cable probably does already, but Dish and Direct are slowly geting it out there.

-Polen
Old 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Sage Expert

Id actualy try for OTA-HD first, unless you know your too far away.

Comcast here does not carry CBS, and the NBC station is unwatchable thru cable (but OK OTA).
Old 09-20-2006, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

You could maybe play some games with Device Manager to turn individual capture devices on and off without going through the whole Sage video source setup each time. You will probably have to restart Sage (including the service) and maybe reboot your machine each time you make such a change though.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I dont get any HD content with this cable, its pure analog from the wall. The only cable provider in the area sucks lol... 45 channels, none are HD... and Monday night NBC was KEEERAP this week! But they came out tuesday morning and fixed it... however too late for the Studio60 Pilot, which won't be re-aired before the next episode grr...

I havnt tried HDOTA. I checked up the 'locate your area service ranges' thing, and it said I could get a fair amount of the local channels. I however am skeptical about that, as I live on the side of a mountain, and we can't even get cell phone coverage here!!! LOL... I DO have a huge radio tower (prior owners had it for RF back in the 70s). I just havnt had the ambition to spend a lot on HD antennaes and wiring to get it all setup just to maybe get 2 or three channels in HD. Of course it would mean a new hauppauge card too (or some other brand that does HD recording).

These are all my problems... none for you all to concern yourselves with lol! I've been fairly happy for the past couple years with the cheapy, and thusly crappy, cable service we get out here.