SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Sage User

Recording 2 shows with 1 STB advice please

I have 1 STB, being controlled through SageTV with the USB-UIRT running into a Hauppauge 5oo. Is it possible for me to record 2 shows at the same time or watch one and record another at the same time with this setup? If so, how, or could you point me to the correct information? I am confused about how this would work if SageTV is changing the channel on the STB every time it needs to record a show. I could add another box but I’m still confused about the configuration with running the remotes etc. Advice or tutorials would be much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

The STB can only view one channel at a time, so you can only record one channel at a time, no matter how many capture card inputs you have.

If you have a newer USB-UIRT, you can add a 2nd STB and use the same UIRT to change channels on both STBs. This is how I do it with Dish Network. Getting the IR codes set up takes some patience, but it can be done, and if you can find someone else with the same setup you can use their IR files.

-Chris
Old 09-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Sage User

Hmmm

So if I run the cable directly into the box and have SageTV control the channels, then I can record 2 at a time? If this is the case, is it possible to add a second capture card to run a single STB and have that record as well with the USB-UIRT? I only need the STB for a few select channels and if I can specify the devices, that would help.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

AtlasStone,

My current setup is similar to what you describe. I have an STB feeding one capture card and raw analog cable feeding a second capture card. The STB source provides channels 3-399, and the raw cable provides channels 3-99. Where the channels overlap (3-99) I can record up to two shows at a time (and watch a third recorded show too!) Where the channels do not overlap (100-399) only the STB records those. I'm still early in the game, but I anticipate that these higher channels will be more likely to encounter recording conflicts.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

I assume you're using cable since you said you only need the STB for a few channels. If so you can use the internal tuner and the STB at the same time like jbarr does. You would have:

Encoder 1
Internal Tuner channels 2-99

Encoder 2
S-Video or composite - all channels available to the stb will be available to Sage

You can set the encoder merit to use the internal tuner first if you would rather Sage not use the STB as much.

I believe there are more complicated setups where you always use the internal tuners for channels 2-99 and only use the stb for shows above 100. Most people wouldn't have a need for that type of setup though.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Can you tell me how you configured Sage to accomplish this and do I only need the one 500 card or do I need to get a second card. It lookslike you are recording two shows from the one input.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasStone
Can you tell me how you configured Sage to accomplish this and do I only need the one 500 card or do I need to get a second card. It lookslike you are recording two shows from the one input.
The PVR-500 card has two inputs that it can record from.

You then set Sage up so that source 1=input 1, cable, channels 1-100, and source2=input 2, STB, channels 1-300, etc. Sage then manages what to record from each source.

-Chris
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think you're still a little confused. jbarr has the coax connected to the card and the stb connected to either s-video or composite.

The card has an internal splitter for the coax. So if you're using straight cable it can use both tuners with one cable connected.

Last edited by blade; 09-20-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
You can set the encoder merit to use the internal tuner first if you would rather Sage not use the STB as much.
Intriguing. I would actually like to use the STB over the raw cable due to its better picture quality. What setting do you use to "set the encoder merit"?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Intriguing. I would actually like to use the STB over the raw cable due to its better picture quality. What setting do you use to "set the encoder merit"?
I've never fooled with it myself. The property file setting is mentioned on page 226 of the manual. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find some threads about it. I've seen it discussed numerous times on the forums.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I think you're still a little confused. jbarr has the coax connected to the card and the stb connected to either s-video or composite.

The card has an internal splitter for the coax. So if you're using straight cable it can use both tuners with one cable connected.
Ok, I think I understand, I should be good with my one Hauppauge 500 card. so I will take the line from the wall, split it, and run one line directly into the card and run the other to the stb. Then use s-video or composite out of the stb into the card and set up both tuners in SageTV with one going from channel 2-99 an the second from 100 up. Is this correct? Thanks for all your help, I am very new to this
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Then use s-video or composite out of the stb into the card and set up both tuners in SageTV with one going from channel 2-99 an the second from 100 up.
No, you would set one up for 2-99 and the other from 2-xxx (whatever the stb can use). The way you described wouldn't allow you to record 2 shows at once unless one was below channel 100 and the other was above it.

Last edited by blade; 09-20-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No, you would set one up for 2-99 and the other from 2-xxx (whatever the stb can use)
The two connections will need to have different channel lineups.

For example, on the straignt Coax connection, pick the basic cable lineup for your city and enable/disable the correct channels for it. Then, on the STB connection, pick the digital cable lineup and enable/disable the correct channels that the STB can receive.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr

The setting that you need to adjust is encoder_merit in sage.properties. Set it to a higher number than 0. The higher the number the higher the preference. I have 5 tuners, merit is set as 0,1,2,3 & 4. It will use the tuners in order from 4 down to zero.

It can be difficult to determine which tuner is which in sage.properties. But, if you only have one tuner set to the STB with an IR blaster, you probably have a line like this: "mmc/encoders/551195575/2/0/tuning_plugin=C\:\\Program Files\\SageTV\\Common\\HCWIRBlaster.dll"
with a tuning_plugin listed. IF so, then go to the end of that encoders settings and you'll see a line like this: "mmc/encoders/551195575/encoder_merit=0". Just change that to 1, and it'll be prefered over the other tuner/s that are at merit 0.

I took the other path, and left my STB'ed tuner at 0, and told Sage to prefer all the other tuners. I want my STB left open as long as possible, so that I can watch a digital channel live, if I want. Otherwise, if the STB was used first, then I could never watch a live digital channel due to a conflict on that tuner.